NMS Worlds - Lore Discussion (spoilers)

With Worlds finally in everyones hands and the expedition hot off the presses, why not get the ball rolling with it’s tale of the Vanguard Liquidators.

Feel free to discuss lore and theories below and share your own interpretations for everything from “What ams the Atlas?” to “Who the heck writes on worm skin anyways?!”

Expedition # 14 : Liquidators

Full Expedition Lore in Images

All Guns Blazing

Drop Zone One

No Man's Sky_20240725131612

Drop Zone Two

No Man's Sky_20240725131617

Drop Zone Three

No Man's Sky_20240725131620

Drop Zone Four

No Man's Sky_20240725131623

Drop Zone Five

No Man's Sky_20240725131627

Final Testament of Liquidator 3813G

Conclusion

Full Expedition Lore in Text

Vanguard Liquidator Lore Dump: Textbook Edition

ALL GUNS BLAZING

Liquidator Vanguard Command
-{{ ALL UNITS ALERT: Liquidator command broadcast follows!}}-

-{{Glorious Liquidators! Your Vanguard heroes have located a vile infestation spreading in this sector! }}-

-{{All local cleanup units are hereby considered activated. The Vanguard have tracked and marked the infestation sites. Report for duty at your nearest rendezvous point immediately!}}-

The Liquidators have called me, and I will answer!
I will do my part!

Drop Zone One

Vanguard Intel Cache

-{{Liquidator command broadcast follows!}}-

-{{The dropzone has been secured! Congratulations to all surviving cleanup units. }}-

-{{The scouts of the Vanguard have mapped out prime infestation sites on this world. Now, you must reach the nest and do your part!}}-

I will do my part!

Infestation Alpha

The terminal has been clogged with a viscous fluid, no doubt some
lingering mucus from the brood mother.

Nonetheless, it remains active. The logs of the Liquidator who uncovered
this nest are available to read.

Liquidator Vanguard # 3813G: Official Log
-{{Here follows the testament of Liquidator #3813G of the Vanguard!}}-

-{{I was once like you. A mere cleaner, following in the footsteps of the brave Vanguard units who dove into the heart of the vile nests. }}-

{{I cowered, scared to do my part. Sentinels, broodlings, unspeakable horrors. I thought it would overwhelm me. }}-

-{{And yet - here I am! And like me, you too will rise! You have done your part, and you too will follow the Liquidators to glory!}}-

Drop Zone Two

Vanguard Intel Cache

-{{ Liquidator command broadcast follows!}}-

-{{ Congratulations on securing the dropzone. Your continued survival places you in the 61st percentile of all cleaning units! }}-

-{{The scouts of the Vanguard have mapped out prime infestation sites on this world. Now, you must reach the nest and do your part! }}-

I will do my part!

Infestation Beta

Liquidator Vanguard #3813G: Official Log

-{{ Here follows the testament of Liquidator #3813G of the Vanguard!}}-

-{{ Swarm after swarm exterminated, countless colonies purged. And yet they keep coming, keep growing! They would consume us, were it not for the sacrifices of the Vanguard. }}-

-{{See how the mother protects her grubs! Think what they would do if we left them to multiply in peace! }}-

-{{ And so I have marked this nest for you, Liquidator, this hive of vile infestation. If you are reading this, then you have done your part!}}-

Drop Zone Three

Vanguard Intel Cache

-{{Congratulations on securing the dropzone. Your continued survival places you in the 80th percentile of all cleaning units! }}-

-{{The scouts of the Vanguard have mapped out prime infestation sites on this world. Now, you must reach the nest and do your part!}}-

I will do my part!

Infestation Gamma

I sponge the lingering slime from the terminal. The Liquidator’s logs are
once again available.

-{{ Here follows the testament of Liquidator #3813G of the Vanguard! }}-

-{{ I have followed this vile brood across planet and moon, from star to star and sector to sector. And now you do too. }}-

-{{ I have done what was asked. I have done my part, and now my life and theirs are intertwined. Vanguard and brood, hunter and hunter. A dance to the death… }}-

Drop Zone Four

Vanguard Intel Cache

-{{Congratulations on securing the dropzone. Your continued survival places you in the 90th percentile of all cleaning units!}}-

-{{The scouts of the Vanguard have mapped out prime infestation sites on this world. Now, you must reach the nest and do your part! }}-

I will do my part!

Infestation Delta

I sponge the lingering slime from the terminal. The Liquidator’s logs are once again available.

-{{This infestation was stubborn. I had to place the plasma charges by hand, plunging myself into the viscera of the nest. }}-

-{{ I did so without fear. I knew those who follow would do their part. }}-

-{{But at its heart, surrounded by grubs, I was submerged in the hive’s jelly. It was soft. It was warm. It was a home. }}-

-{{I could not place the charges. I could not do my part. }}-

-{{ I am shamed. And now you have done my part for me. }}-

Drop Zone Five

Vanguard Intel Cache

-{{Congratulations on securing the dropzone. Your continued survival places you in the 95th percentile of all cleaning units!}}-

I will do my part!

Infestation Omega

once again available.

-{{ I have marked this world for you, but I have not done my part. I leave that to you. You will have done what was asked, I am sure. }}-

-{{ From here, I leave my part behind. I am nothing to the Vanguard now, a
shameful deserter. }}-

-{{ I found a nest. I have committed myself to it. }}-

Final Testament of Liquidator Vanguard #3813G

The fluids that clog this terminal are unusually thick. Long strands of slime cling to its surface, despite my best efforts to remove them. It is as if they are somehow alive, clinging to the words that flash across the screen…

Liquidator #3813G’s Final Testament
-{{Here follows the final testament of Liquidator #3813G, once a scout of
the Vanguard. }}-

-{{The fluid that engulfs me has begun to set. I wished to leave these final words, but as I feel the hive resonate around me, as I feel the jelly gently consume my bones, I no longer remember why. }}-

-{{What is left of me, I leave here for any who follow. }}-

-{{The hum of the hive is all I hear now, the binding music of the brood. My heart sings the song of the swarm… }}-

Conclusion

Upon finding the Nest of Liquidator # 3813G you recieve a hatchable grub; their new form or one of their children?

The egg is described as follows…

GRUB COCOON
Hybridised Genetic Remnants

A writhing cocoon, the spawning sac of a grub of the vile brood.
Scans indicate the being within has anomalous genetic material, an unstable binding of several independent strands.

Future Lore Transcriptions

For whatever surprises Worlds Part 2 has in store for us, I’ll try to edit and pin them here for easy sourcing <3

Old Lore Discussions

links to previous discussions on lore

NMS Adrift - Secrets & Lore

Lore Discussion (Spoilers)

Sentinel Update Lore (Spoilers)

The Lore Timeline

Sunken Lore Dicussion [SPOILERS!]

What is "The World of Glass"? Analyzing the new lore (SPOILERS)

Lore Research & Discussion (Lore Detectives Agency)

Tons of lore and data

NMS Lore & More (SPOILERS!) - version 1.38

Factory Lore

Summary of Nada Lore

Atlas lore from 1.00 (pre-day one patch)

10 Likes

Vanguard Liquidator Lore Dump: Textbook Edition

ALL GUNS BLAZING

Liquidator Vanguard Command
-{{ ALL UNITS ALERT: Liquidator command broadcast follows!}}-

-{{Glorious Liquidators! Your Vanguard heroes have located a vile infestation spreading in this sector! }}-

-{{All local cleanup units are hereby considered activated. The Vanguard have tracked and marked the infestation sites. Report for duty at your nearest rendezvous point immediately!}}-

The Liquidators have called me, and I will answer!
I will do my part!

Drop Zone One

Vanguard Intel Cache

-{{Liquidator command broadcast follows!}}-

-{{The dropzone has been secured! Congratulations to all surviving cleanup units. }}-

I will do my part!

Infestation Alpha

The terminal has been clogged with a viscous fluid, no doubt some
lingering mucus from the brood mother.

Nonetheless, it remains active. The logs of the Liquidator who uncovered
this nest are available to read.

Liquidator Vanguard # 3813G: Official Log

-{{I was once like you. A mere cleaner, following in the footsteps of the brave Vanguard units who dove into the heart of the vile nests. }}-

{{I cowered, scared to do my part. Sentinels, broodlings, unspeakable horrors. I thought it would overwhelm me. }}-

-{{And yet - here I am! And like me, you too will rise! You have done your part, and you too will follow the Liquidators to glory!}}-

Drop Zone Two

Vanguard Intel Cache

-{{ Congratulations on securing the dropzone. Your continued survival places you in the 61st percentile of all cleaning units! }}-

I will do my part!

Infestation Beta

-{{ Here follows the testament of Liquidator #3813G of the Vanguard!}}-

-{{ Swarm after swarm exterminated, countless colonies purged. And yet they keep coming, keep growing! They would consume us, were it not for the sacrifices of the Vanguard. }}-

-{{See how the mother protects her grubs! Think what they would do if we left them to multiply in peace! }}-

-{{ And so I have marked this nest for you, Liquidator, this hive of vile infestation. If you are reading this, then you have done your part!}}-

Drop Zone Three

Vanguard Intel Cache

-{{Congratulations on securing the dropzone. Your continued survival places you in the 80th percentile of all cleaning units! }}-

I will do my part!

Infestation Gamma

once again available.

-{{ I have followed this vile brood across planet and moon, from star to star and sector to sector. And now you do too. }}-

-{{ I have done what was asked. I have done my part, and now my life and theirs are intertwined. Vanguard and brood, hunter and hunter. A dance to the death… }}-

Drop Zone Four

Vanguard Intel Cache

-{{Congratulations on securing the dropzone. Your continued survival places you in the 90th percentile of all cleaning units!}}-

I will do my part!

Infestation Delta

I sponge the lingering slime from the terminal. The Liquidator’s logs are once again available.

-{{This infestation was stubborn. I had to place the plasma charges by hand, plunging myself into the viscera of the nest. }}-

-{{ I did so without fear. I knew those who follow would do their part. }}-

-{{But at its heart, surrounded by grubs, I was submerged in the hive’s jelly. It was soft. It was warm. It was a home. }}-

-{{I could not place the charges. I could not do my part. }}-

-{{ I am shamed. And now you have done my part for me. }}-

Drop Zone Five

Vanguard Intel Cache

-{{Congratulations on securing the dropzone. Your continued survival places you in the 95th percentile of all cleaning units!}}-

I will do my part!

Infestation Omega

once again available.

-{{ I have marked this world for you, but I have not done my part. I leave that to you. You will have done what was asked, I am sure. }}-

-{{ From here, I leave my part behind. I am nothing to the Vanguard now, a
shameful deserter. }}-

-{{ I found a nest. I have committed myself to it. }}-

Final Testament of Liquidator Vanguard #3813G

The fluids that clog this terminal are unusually thick. Long strands of slime cling to its surface, despite my best efforts to remove them. It is as if they are somehow alive, clinging to the words that flash across the screen…

Liquidator #3813G’s Final Testament
-{{Here follows the final testament of Liquidator #3813G, once a scout of
the Vanguard. }}-

-{{The fluid that engulfs me has begun to set. I wished to leave these final words, but as I feel the hive resonate around me, as I feel the jelly gently consume my bones, I no longer remember why. }}-

-{{What is left of me, I leave here for any who follow. }}-

-{{The hum of the hive is all I hear now, the binding music of the brood. My heart sings the song of the swarm… }}-

Conclusion

Upon finding the Nest of Liquidator # 3813G you recieve a hatchable grub; their new form or one of their children?

The egg is described as follows…

GRUB COCOON
Hybridised Genetic Remnants

A writhing cocoon, the spawning sac of a grub of the vile brood.
Scans indicate the being within has anomalous genetic material, an unstable binding of several independent strands.

I said I'd give myself permission to play NMS today ONLY if I got this out of the way first because if I didnt, it was never happening XD

11 Likes

Thank you for this!

5 Likes

I have finally taken a break from being obsessed with what is normally my least favourite mini game (fishing!) and realised I have lore to be transcribing and screenshots to be sharing from the New Expedition as well as the new lore for some of the stranger creatures in the sim extrapolated in the Legendary Fish descriptions.

I’ll hopefully get that posted here soon similar to how I covered the Liquidator Expedition.

I just wanted to share a fun little reference thats actually hidden in the game files naming structure.

Most of the Messages In Bottles have nondescript names like diary1 or cold etc but the last set of messages to be listed in the gamefiles has a direct reference to Moby Dick :wink:

UI_BOTTLE_MSG_AHAB_A_1
I know the %ITEM% is near. I can feel it.

UI_BOTTLE_MSG_AHAB_A_2
Day %NUM%. I'm getting close to the %ITEM%.

UI_BOTTLE_MSG_AHAB_A_3
I've found the %ITEM% I was looking for!

UI_BOTTLE_MSG_AHAB_A_4
The %ITEM% was here all along!

UI_BOTTLE_MSG_AHAB_A_5
The %ITEM% is mine, after all this time!

UI_BOTTLE_MSG_AHAB_A_6
I know the %ITEM% is near. I can feel it.

UI_BOTTLE_MSG_AHAB_A_7
Day %NUM%. I'm getting close to the %ITEM%.

UI_BOTTLE_MSG_AHAB_A_8
I've found the %ITEM% I was looking for!

UI_BOTTLE_MSG_AHAB_A_9
The %ITEM% was here all along!

UI_BOTTLE_MSG_AHAB_A_10
The %ITEM% is mine, after all this time!

Ahab <3 :whale2: :whale:

8 Likes

There’s not as many text heavy story segments for the Aquarius Expedition so instead of doing two seperate lore dumps of Pictures and Transcribed text, I’ll just keep the two together :slight_smile:

Expedition 15: Aquarius

Expedition 15 : Aquarious :amphora:

The Lost Angler

As I settle into the starship’s oddly familiar surroundings, I feel a strange dampness about the seat The smell of salt water lingers in the air, faint but unmistakable.

Looking closer, there appears to be a bottle lodged into the launch control panel.

There is a message inside the bottle, scrawled in a hasty hand and torn from a larger book. It reads:

T H E - A N G L E R
-{{ "I finally feel like I’m getting closer. A trader on Gisto offered me solid-gold information on its location, for a price.
And so I’m selling my ship. I’ll miss the Celeste, but I have to know if the rumours are true. I hope whoever buys you takes good care of you… }}-

At the bottom of the message, someone has added a hand-written set of planetary coordinates…

T H E - A N G L E R
-{{Universe Address: [VALIDATED]
Warp Coordinates Primed…}}-

I rummage through the cache’s rusty innards. It appears to contain a schematic for a piece of fishing equipment…

T H E - A N G L E R
“The rumours were true. It’s out there, I can feel it. Not here, but somewhere. The water calls to me, I just need to follow its voice…”

T H E - A N G L E R
“I saw it in my dreams last night. Scales like fire and eves of pure starlight. It sang to me, a song of hope and longing. It wants me to find it, I know it. I must be closing in.”

T H E - A N G L E R
“I was right! It was here! After all these light years, all the doubts, it’s finally mine. Oh, and how it shines! Like fire in the water, beautiful, impossible…”

T H E - A N G L E R
“The fire has faded from my catch’s scales, and my dreams have soured. I thrash through the night. My skin itches, damp and clammy. Salt seeps from my pores.
It longs to be free. I cannot keep it contained like this. It must be free.
I must be free…”

Find the fiery scales of the Angler’s legacy
Return to their last known fishing spot
The Angler yearned for freedom
Dredge up that which remains…
Locate a suitable body of water to begin fishing.

Catch Landed

THE ANGLER

Legendary Fish

Fire dances across the scales of this impossible marine being. Its starlit eyes stare back at you with a meaning far deeper than any fish should know. As they stare, the world around you fades away.

The sound of water fills your ears. It wants to be free. You want to be free…

Legendary Fish Lore Descriptions

Legendary Fish Lore

- Any Biome

Singing Sea-Snail

“A voice like honey from a mouth of mucus.”

Golden Jellyfish

“Its tentacles that glitter like wisps of golden hair, but sting with the fire of thousand suns.”

Dragonfish

“Territorial, ancient, furious to be caught. The king of the sea.”

The Lunker

“A true titan of the depths. Nothing compares for sheer mass.”

- Lush Biome

Glass Angel

“A creature of dreams, only visible where the light refracts through its soft, perfect jelly.”

Mist Serpent

“When hunting, can dissolve into a thin dark cloud, impossible to track, impossible to see coming…”

Reef Guardian

“A powerful, muscular body and teeth like razors, these gentle giants protect smaller creatures from predators.”

Blind Titancore

“The old man of the sea; scarred, blinded, still swimming on…”

- Hot Biome

Starshell Crab

“Its glittering shell is practically unbreakable, a material of pure perfection.”

Mirrorscale Skipper

“Impossible to see with mortal eyes as it flashes through the water under boiling, cloudless skies.”

Jelly of the Veil

“A dark cloud follows this creature, and dreams of doom await all those who touch it.”

Ancient Irontail

“Heart of stone and fins of iron, this creature lives on where all else falters.”

- Cold Biome

Crystal Jelly

“A living snowflake: frozen solid yet still alive, its tentacles a fractal recursion.”

Ghostfin

“A name only spoken in whispers, its pale body a illusion that flickers beneath the moonlit waves.”

Iceblood Gulper

“A heart that beats but once a hour, a heart that sees faster life spawn and die, spawn and die, spawn and die…”

Nautilia

“None would believe the scale of this beast: its colossal shell, its enormous slimy foot. None, except those who have seen it…”

- Irradiated Biome

Many-Eyed Jellyfish

“A thousand eyes erupt from its soft flesh: a never-ending cycle of rising, blinking, sinking, and re-emergence.”

Aberrant Duskfin

“Its wings beat slowly as it sails though the poisoned seas, a drifter with no place of rest, no end to their journey.”

Gamma Squid

“A pale blue glow surrounds it as it drifts through the water - a warning to all those who would come too close…”

Helix Sawfish

“Polymorphic, twisting, always in motion; its body a constant whirr of shifting forms and ripping teeth.”

- Toxic Biome

Emeril Sunstar

“Its perfect crystalline form glistens with a emerald light that changes the soul of all those whose eyes fall upon it.”

Vampire Squid

“A true error of the deep; its hungry bite corrupts your blood, filling your body with a spurting corrosive bile.”

Bleached Bonefish

“Robbed of flesh and stripped of colour by acid seas, the bonefish swims on regardless.”

Translucent Gulper

“Seemingly weak and fragile at the surface, these giant jaws have swallowed alive many an unwary soul who ventured into their abyssal home…”

- Dusty Biome

Fragile Icthyoscale

“A delicate creature, a fragment of the past that lives on in the water.”

Titanworm Larva

“The many-mouths arise from the darkness of the ocean; the many-mouths hunger for their home in the sand…”

Ossified Deinosuchus

“A relic of another age, a fusion of life and stone that refuses to die.”

Megalodon

“The apex of marine predation, a perfect killing machine. Beware.”

- Odd Biome

Abyssal Horror Egg

“Listen to these words: Do not allow this egg to hatch. Cast it back into the sea.”

Atlantidian Crab

“Shell and claw of perfect crystal, eyestalks aglow with purple rage; a being displaced from another reality and cast here as crab.”

Child of Helios

“Its song resonates across time and space, calling to its home in the endless black above. One day, it will rise and return to its home among the stars.”

Many-Mouthed Lunker

“On the surface or below the waves, the vessel hungers, the vessel feeds…”

@DevilinPixy @sheralmyst @AGrownUpPerson Hey I was hoping I’d be able to add future Lore related to the worlds update to the top post to keep it updated but it seems there is a time limit. Any chance you could copy paste the Exp15/Fishy stuff from this post into it for me? :smiley:

5 Likes

…not sure I can actually move it there?..unless someone knows how…

3 Likes

No worries. I realised after requesting, theres not that many posts between it and the first so this is fine :slight_smile:

I think it’s interesting that both Expeditions under the Worlds update umbrella ended up with us finding the person we were tailing transhorrorified into a completely different being or creature.

The Liquidator became a gooey bug and now the Angler seems to have become an octopus that wills those it catches to do the same.

It’s all about following a signal or source and being transformed completely by the end of it.

Not too far off our own Journeys as Travellers. I can’t help but feel all these parallels are alluding to whats to come with Boss Mama Void… or maybe it’s too much caffeine in my diet.

Current running theory… You play to the end of the NMS updates, survive 16 and turn into a Badger and become reborn in Light No Fire. (I’m only half serious… I’m obvs going with the Fox and/or Frog)

4 Likes

Some of those descriptions make me wish we still had aggressive sea life, like we had before.

I remember being stalked by one, it followed me along the shore no matter where I went. XD

5 Likes

I was building at a depth of 70-80u recently and after a while I noticed a load of dead fish were on the sea floor scattered around the base. When I looked up I saw the shilouette of a giant killer fish taking out any fish that spawned in closer to the surface :dotted_line_face:

4 Likes

Yeap, there are ones that still attack fish. But nothing attacks you other than the abyssal horror and the “a-luring” specimen which are completely avoidable. Before, there were aggressive fish that would follow you for miles, or come charging at you like a bat out of hell. It made you more cautious while swimming.

4 Likes

I remember swimming out to a small island and getting there before two of these predators spawned. It was early in a new save so I didn’t have much health or jet pack. It was a real challenge getting back to shore alive. (Too stubborn to reload last save.)

5 Likes

The octopuses attack you. They are just not real fast about getting to you. In fact, just touching them will injure you which makes me think they may actually be jellyfish.

4 Likes

This explains why all those jellyfoctopishes were suicide bombing me along the coast while fishing on a planet a few days ago.

I thought maybe they were moving too fast and collision detection was just damaging them, they kept spawning in directly below me. I was passively gaining cooking ingredients from them while I fished :slight_smile:

I actually saved a clip when it happened the first time (I wasn’t expecting it to continously happen at the time) and meant to share it here. I was watching something on one screen and waiting to feel the vibration of a line bite, you can see me try reel in what I think is a catch. I still had no idea what exactly had happened until I watched the footage back.

Uploading now

Oh its right by my Ice Cream place. They must really hate the toxic overflow I’m dumping back into their habitat. I made an oath to take the Weyland-Yutani approach to commercial space enterprise and I’m not going back on it.

4 Likes

You’re a monster! :laughing:

3 Likes

I was looking back at some of the old lore posts and it’s been a while since I’d seen the Deep Sea Ruin Lore in-game, I’d forgotten about the coloured words.

With new eyes I can’t help but think -

Telamon, Broken.
Atlas, Awful.
Abyss, stupid for thinking it can survive the death of the Atlas :rofl:

5 Likes

I had forgotten this too. Have we had yellow wording anywhere else or did my eyes skip over it because the red and purple are used so often?..

4 Likes

The colouring is done using tags similar to html, you can use them to colour your base names too. I forget all of them but this would make it easy to find all lore instances of this font colour with a search function when looking at the gamefiles.

I would happily do that as I’ve always meant to make and keep a document of all of it, colours in check. Cleaning up text strings from the gamedata would be addictively fun for me. I’m sure one already exists somewhere on a discord or reddit post but I can never seem to find a genuine Lore Compendium, just some outdated and marooned pastebins from years past.

@ThatBomberBoi @Dragonsire Is there a txt document somewhere containing all of the text string from the game? Story events, gui guidance etc. I know you guys share the updated strings as they come. If one doesn’t exist, is there software I can use to just analyse my local copy of nms and pull the txt strings myself? Whichever is the least bother for anyone :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I have my Mod Builder script which can generate a list of all text strings at a whim. By default, it regexes out all the audio, img and colour tags, but I can edit It to leave em in if you’d like. I can upload those to a drive and share the link here once I’m at my setup in a while :grin:

4 Likes

That is incredibly generous of you and as long as it doesn’t interfere with your time too much I won’t say no :smiley: No rush on it either, next monthember is fine :wink:

3 Likes

Mine pulls all the files and parses all files as xml, then I use a compare script that just pulls put the changes ones, and then simplifies them for readability when I post them. I dont use MBIN to pull these so they wont match others xml names.

if you ant them: LanguageFiles.rar - Google Drive

4 Likes