Wishes for Update 1.3, 1.4 and beyond

In the game files there are two additional parts found for creating/building a race, although currently not used:

• BLD_RACE_OBSTACLE - Race Obstacle - Provides extra challenge for Exocraft races.
  • BLD_RACE_BOOST - Race Force Amplifier - Provides a boost to your Exocraft during races.

I am not sure if still planned to be implemented, but sounds like fun to me. Would indeed love to see some improvements/additions to fit multiplayer even better. Races are already a bit more fun as you can trigger to start a race at the same time and see the other player’s orb. It just doesn’t quite feel right just yet.

4 Likes

Good list.

I was thinking, as it’s kinda been the syle of the game, to have ship building as part of the game’s “farming” scheme. Terminal + go find the prototype parts = new part/color/decal for building. Profit can be balanced by selling to space station kyosk or to a dealer in one of these cities tha you mention. The need to sell x amount of ships to gain increased cargo slots could slow progression enough to make it worth the time. Similar steps could be take towards freighter/multi-tool manufacturing. Though the former would obviously need a larger space facility.

I knida understand why you can only hold one multi-tool: because otherwise, what’s the point of specializing your weapon? But the idea of having a weapons locker at your base/freighter could be a good middle-ground.

Deployable exo-craft/sub should already be a thing, but maybe in future updates? Even if they restricted it to larger vessels (or gave it a hefty slot requirement) it could be worth it.

Proc-gen cities may be a more wishful at this point, especially if they’re working on MP. Their issue w multi-player right now is having the same proc-gen’d terrain on both players’ systems, with terrain being far less detailed than structures would be.

1 Like

With pixel generated terrain, getting player systems in sync is the challenge.
Tis why most games that have MP uses textures.
NMS uses medium or low textures with pixel insanity.
ya have to remember that HG has gone and is going to places no one programmed before.

2 Likes

My wishlist:

Scanners that make sense:

• They should actually find most of the structures near you, not ignore most of them and point you to one miles away.
  • Scanners have a 1 minute memory, why? Let them hold everything they have found on screen till you move out of range at least.
  • 3 scanners, personal, ship, exovehicle, different results, but share a recharge cycle. Err, wut is going on here? This makes no sense at all in any universe, are they 1 or are they 3?

Some custom ship options:

• With 1.3 they made it so ships can crash into the ground, going from one extreme to the other, how about letting me set the protection height myself so I choose when the ships safety features kick in? Didn’t need to just remove them entirely.
  • Cruise Control on/off
  • Enable / disable auto-level of ship. Due to the cockpits always being upwards facing, and the ground being below and now being able to crash into it, searching for things is a game of swooping up and down and hoping you didn’t miss anything on the upswing, so, I end up flying sideways to actually be able to see things without having to swoop about, but the ship auto-levels, so I have to be constantly fighting that. Give me options please!

Caves that are meaningful:

• So much effort has been put into these lovely generation algorithms, caves all over, and nothing to do in them, such a shame.
  • Also caves need a bit more variance like the surface, they are generally too cluttered, most caves I have visited in real life are pretty desolate places, and much more jaggedy, NMS caves are full of plant life and are very smooth tunnels, and all look the same. It is a shame.

Custom crosshair:

• Little white dot is often not visible, especially when in exocrafts.

Smarter Jetpack:

• Jetpack has limited fuel, but magically has infinite fuel to get you out of holes, hmmm wut?
  • Jetpack only points straight down, I would like to be able to get a forward boost out of it without having to do the old melee-boost trick.
  • Jetpack should have option to cushion falls. How are my No Mans Knees not totally messed up from smashing into the ground over and over.

Galactic Map:

• Ability to place markers and notes, keeping track of where you have been is a nightmare.

Storage:

• Ability to see contents of storage without having to open each box.
  • Better transferring between crafts and boxes etc. Improvements seen in 1.3, being able to transfer between things easier, great, but could still be streamlined a bit more considering how big a part of the game storage management is.

I will probably edit and add some things to this list as I remember them when playing.

3 Likes

I suspect that the flag and building door placements are intentional. The idea was to wander and explore. I don’t think that speeding through No Man’s Sky is what Hello Games intended. Sometimes, “ammo” boxes around the sides and between buildings have resources for you. I don’t have a problem with the time to traipse around a facility complex, but I’m not in a hurry either. Take time to stop and smell the platinum flowers.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Cruise Control” is also a better description that “Auto-pilot,” which some have suggested. On the other hand, if you can fly to a waypoint, “auto-pilot” to its vicinity would be helpful. My keyboard fingers get tired holding down controls for a relatively long time.

Strongly agree with a toggle to allow crash prevention by way of preventing flying below minimum altitude until toggled off or you choose to land. The toggle ideally should be a Hotkey on a PC – none of this multiple menu choices to enable/disable. Then players that way the added danger and thrills can do that. Others can play safer.

A couple of starship-related nice touches – not required for gameplay but could help it be more immersive:

• Let starships show “wear” as they age or experience really harsh environments. Early pre-release videos showed ships that looked used, not brand new. That makes sense if we’ve been travelling the universe.

• Allow ship “refurbishment” to like-new appearance for some resource or unit cost.

5 Likes
  1. No one is visiting a planet solely to go to one building.

2. As planetary environments are global rather than regional a few steps saved here and there isn’t hiding anything that you won’t otherwise see.

1 Like

WISHING FOR a PEEP from HG!!!

3 Likes

So, the foundation update dropped on the 17th of November (please correct me if I’m wrong about the date). Major updates are usually announced a day before the update drops. I think (hope) that the next major update will drop this week. Probably on the 16th.

2 Likes

So to be exact,The Foundation Update dropped on Nov 27,2016. So given that, i dont expect the update to come before that date. But one can hope right xD

4 Likes

Yea the deterioration to your star ship was a pre release feature,effect, that never was implemented. I would love for this to be put in. This game also needs a ship mechanic NPC,so to get rid of the RNG waiting game of ship shopping. It adds nothing to the game by simply waiting and or reloading to get that perfect ship. And only for the perfect ship to have only 18 slots :confused:

Instead, have things like the scrap iron u get from Green boxes and other useless trade materials like Lemmium and Tropheum need to be converted into something like Nannites. And have that be like the " currency" u need to barter with said ship mechanic.IMo, it shouldnt be that u only need money,than that would make it boring, and uninspiring. So you’d actually have to go out and be a space pirate or scavenger in order to have this ability. Maybe u could only buy ships with money,but u need this new Mechanic currency in order to actually mod ships and such. Needs a balance for sure,just like how Nanites deepened upgrades

Anyways, have this be another Space POI,or just add it to SS’s,whichever, but where u can piece ships together, put ur ships and freighters up for sale,upload ships to the cloud and sell direct to other players,etc.Also, have it be like interstellar trading,where certain races paying a better price depending on the ships capabilties,kinda like interstelllar trading,but with ships,freighters, even Space Stations hopefully,being the commodity. Same thing could apply to players, put up a " i want a 48 slot hauler with XYZ upgrades and a beefy hyperdrive" post and have players set their own prices. Now of course players could set ridiculous prices,but then again u could just never buy them xD. And it would waste their time,so youd actually have to be economical and fair if u want to make money.

This would adds tiers to ship hunting. Rather than just random ship scrounging and random ship spawns being the only way to acquire new star ships. And being able to design and sell ships to players and NPCs, and then seeing those new ships flying thru the stars would be pretty frigging cool, You’d start seeing your creations flying thru the skies or in screenshots on Reddit and know you designed that beauty : )

4 Likes

I’ve been saying some of the same things for over a year now, with materials that are described as ship building materials you would think that this would been included already. I like the different combinations we get with procedural generation but it would be awesome if we could use those materials to build a different cockpit, or add/remove wings, change engines and thrusters. This would add so much to the game.

I’ve always wanted ships to be another part of any economy. It would be cool to repair a crashed ship, fix it up, and sell it for a profit. It would be cool if we could trade ships between players. I agree with you, the way to obtain ships is boring and time consuming. Sitting and waiting for the right ship to show up sucks. I really hope they see these suggestions, you’ve made great points

3 Likes

To add to the ships conversation…
When are we getting sentinel ships?

8 Likes

I’m expecting the update announcement around noon tomorrow. Still hoping for taller trees/denser forests.

4 Likes

Also hoping for organic ships.

2 Likes

I just can’t wait to hear that feminine voice say these lines:

" Welcome to No Mans Sky, Version 1.4, the REDACTED update. "

Gonna get goosebumps when 1.4 hits I’m telling yall now! Can’t wait! !!!

1 Like

Do we know anything about any upcoming announcements?

1 Like

Not that I know of. Only thing I got is 1.3 dropped on the Anniversary of NMS’ launching. So maybe 1.4 could drop today on Nov 27th since that would be the anniversary of The Foundation Update.

But obviously this is just me talking here : P

We’ll probably get an email from the Old Gods or CSD announcing any incoming updates, right?

1 Like

Who knows. We’re already past the anniversary date for Foundation Update, which was yesterday so I dunno atm.

Maybe an announcement right before/during PSX? Not as in NMS being on the show floor, just that HG announces the update on the same day type deal.