Sean Murray's Reveals MAY 2018 (PvP Disscussion)

Agreed.

Im done : )

P.S. Waking Titan Reddit Post just gave us a clue!?

3 Likes

LOL @DarthTrethon is going to have a bad time once the update drops.

Dont worry about pvp too much you will get a new achievement

11 Likes

Imagine if there was a PvP mode like Call of Duty multiplayer or Destiny’s Crucible. They’d never add it, but just imagining it I think would be cool. Or even a No Mans Sky Battle Royale. The entire planet being the arena.

5 Likes

The last thing this game needs is garbage like call or duty or whatever other spaz trash games are being made these days. It would be cool to fill a large PvP area with invincible killbots watching all spawn points and just dropping the kinds of people who would play them on the spot over and over and over and over. Just one shot insta-kills.

A separate mode like that would be cool, especially if it had better combat mechanics. More modes never hurts. :grin: I think a separate, multiplayer dog fight mode would be fun as well.

Don’t let DarthTrethon get you down. :wink:

4 Likes

Whilst I wouldn’t put things quite as bluntly as @DarthTrethon does, I generally agree with his sentiments.

No Man’s Sky is an unusual, and in many ways, a ground-breaking game. It has attracted the community and the spirit it has, precisely because it’s not like a thousand other games out there. And that’s where the hate came from, too.

The reaction against No Man’s Sky when it first launched was largely driven by people who discovered that they couldn’t form gank squads. That they couldn’t bully, abuse, or distress other players. And they reacted very violently to that discovery - because that’s the kind of people they are.

So the nutcases were excluded, and the game grew, and huge communities grew up around the idea that there were no gank squads, or bullies, or cheats, or foul-mouthed cretins, or aggressive knuckle-draggers. And everything was fine, and the game grew, and attracted more people into its community, and most people were happy in their closeted little game world.

And then Sean Murray announced that in NEXT, you could be “that guy” who preys on others.

And 99% of us who form the core of the game communities thought “Oh shit - that’s the worst thing that could happen”.

There are thousands of games out there that have PVP. There are those of us who think PVP attracts an unpleasant community. We have a great community here. We would quite like to keep it that way.

15 Likes

1500 daily on PC alone is pretty damn healthy…at lot more than most games 2 years later…and Sean has said that he never intended this game to be something people play forever so spikes with update launches and then slow downs is pretty good. If we had the PS4 numbers they’re probably in the 3 to 5k range daily.

He also said they are very happy with the average number of hours each player put in the game…so this is where they want to be.

1 Like

Exactly. I care not for numbers and popularity. The number of players is meaningless, as long as i love NMS, thats as many people as i need.

Im just trying to be real here.

Please don’t mention Sea of Thieves ever again…that game is the epitamy of worst case scenario PvP…completely and utterly pointless…the more you win the more you are at a disadvantage as your supplies don’t replenish while the ones you defeat instantly respawn with full ammo and everything…no bloody content or progression at all there either. I bloody well hope NMS has a better approach to PvP and PvE than that garbage of a game.

I can’t see how HG will be able to turn the whole universe into a shared PVE / PVP environment. That would mean storing every player change to the environment in real time so that all other players would experience it. Given that the world is generated on-the-fly by the processor, it would then have to load up the environment changes and apply them with no discernible lag.

This doesn’t even work for bases with big farms. My base with a maxed out living glass farm lags massively every time I return to my base. Imagine a screen full of players all causing destructive damage to an area - the lag would be horrific. Plus, what happens when you lose connection with the server?

One solution would be to move all world rendering onto the server I suppose.

1 Like

According to the XBL listing of NMS the multiplayer is limited to 4 players playing together at once max…there’s people who refuse to accept that as accurate but I suspect it is.

1 Like

If PvP was done correctly then it could be a lot of fun. I purchased this game because it has no PvP and I enjoy the solitary experience it offers, however, if there was a separate mode where a copy of your current progress is used to wreak some havoc with some friends then and your actual game isn’t affected then that’s good.

Don’t you want to see how good your kit really is?

Another way, as previously theorised is to have high conflict worlds where PvP is permitted, say 1 in 10 stars would allow this and given the sheer scale of the game, I’m sure even some of these PvP permitted stars would be devoid of players.

But anyway, given the nature of most NMS players, we’d be mostly friends in the PvP worlds anyway, teaming up in massive groups to plunder rare resources.

But let’s not forget no one has any idea how this is going to play out yet, I’m sure it will be fine and we’re panicking over nothing, but if it’s anyth like the above then I think we’ll be alright.

6 Likes

Well…maybe not so massive groups…if the XBL listing is to be believed the max number of players that can play together or against each other is 4…which would be consistent with the box art…so it kind of looks like the cap is 4.

1 Like

Which would hint at a new game mode then. The various parties that have taken place in game already far exceed that number.

Max four players, four arch-types of pre-made traveller to shoot people with.

Well sure but the previous such parties in the game were just orbs…their actions not reflected in each other’s games, their ships and vehicles not visible…a proper multiplayer is an entirely different beast.

1 Like

Seans feelings towards Pvp mirror a lot of people’s sentiments around here, myself included. He was very much against the idea as hed stated in interviews in the past.

So I would have to assume, somebody in HG came up with a very good way to impliment it that still allows those who’d rather not be griefed, to not get griefed. I’d say its as simple as having a setting to toggle before you log in (being able to switch it off in game would cause even more griefing) maybe switch pvp to anybody, friends only or just me, like your modern social networks privacy setting.

I don’t think Sean would introduce Pvp if it took away from people who play to chill. And I don’t think base destruction will be a thing. @alltheotherpeopleworriedaboutthisbutnamesiveforgotten

5 Likes

I am all for co-op play PvE, less keen on PvP. That doesn’t mean that I think it shouldn’t be a part of the game though. I played Elder Scrolls: Online for a long time and loved the way it was co-op PvE for all the main areas but there was a separate PvP Zone with its own quest lines that you could explore.

Which was fine if you were in a group and went zerging but not so much fun on the receiving end when you were just trying to stay alive long enough to finish a quest line lol

1 Like

If there’s a PvP style survive-in-teams element it would certainly heighten the danger and if anything, encourage teamwork more than anything else they could ever implement in a PvE environment as the danger could literally come from anywhere and there won’t be inferior AI you could exploit.

But yeah, I’d like to choose when I do this, “I’m gonna get my friends together and we’re going to explore that planet for that rare resource… as soon as I’ve upgraded my multi-tool that is”

2 Likes

There might be risk, but I would not pass the opportunity to come across user-created content and modifications to the environment.

I really doubt they will pull-off a “single-shard”-persistent simulation (like Dual Universe promises for a fee)

Realistically, I think beyond a claimed single planet, all changes to terrain and structures will reset once you leave or claim a new planet… But for colonies sprawling to many planets (supposing it’s not through one friend at each individual one, which could be) we just might get multi-planetary claims.

Four at a time sounds reasonable… I wonder the extent of persistence, the most, now.

4 Likes