Sean Murray's Reveals MAY 2018 (PvP Disscussion)

It would “encourage” most of the game’s core audience to call it done and uninstall the game from their machines for good…what you fail to comprehend is that just because people can deal with crap-for-brains griefers doesn’t mean it’s fun or that anyone actually wants to do any of that…generally speaking the people who enjoy that garbage are off playing the likes of Call of Duty and Fortnite right now…those sorts of people are NOT NMS players.

2 Likes

NMS Connect allows you to do that.
There are other mods that add that ability.

1 Like

I agree with you. I separate save with advanced combat weapons, facilities and blueprints!
Even if I am not quiet good at shooting other peoples ship, it’s worth giving a try!

1 Like

Speak for yourself. You have no idea how many people would enjoy this kinda feature. And we all forget just how hard it is to bump into people by random in NMS.

I will take an open universe over a closed one any day.

And not to be rude,but the general average gamer either:

1. Doesn’t know about NMS

2. Doesn’t care about NMS

3. Thinks it’s a meme.

Embrace change. I want to experience new shit in NMS. I don’t want the same experience over and over.

Finally, I think we all overestimate what kinds of people play NMS. Just because it adds PVP, doesn’t mean millions of players will jump back and grief.

It ain’t gonna happen. NMS is dead to most gamers as I stated.

This will just make the current game WAY more interesting and add to th3 Replayability of it.

1 Like

If NMS became Fortnite for the sake of becoming more popular it would do so at the cost of sacrificing everything we love it for (I’m not saying this is going to happen, but it is an extreme case to demonstrate why doing things purely for more player numbers is a bad idea and has ruined countless games).

7 Likes

Apparently the 2-4 player thing is kinda meaningless. Many other games supporting way more than that are also only listed as 2-4. I suspect this number may represent some kind of mission squad grouping, rather than any hard limit to player interaction.

1 Like

So True about Sacrifices that Developers make for Players. I am not playing NMS because I felt I could change Developer’s Minds. I don’t have to be engaged with the Developers to see a better game appear. I just want to see Sean Murray and Team make the game that they want and I will decide why I am drawn to or why I hate a game.

Just Remember This: NMS has not had full multiplayer since release. PVP and Playing with your friends in anyway but through Exploration was never the goal of the game in the Developer’s Eyes or Hearts :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@DarthTrethon & @DaleGrib
Can I suggest that you both back off a little as this conversation is getting close to infringing on forum rules.
It’s fine for you to dissagree but it is not ok for either of you to resort to insulting or bad language. I refer you both to the FAQ - ETARC Community so that you can have a read and adjust your conversation suitably.
Play nice guys; That’s what keeps the forum such a great place. :grinning:

6 Likes

As long as I meet the type of NMS player like all the people I’ve met on this forum, PvP will be a fun, non-malicious experience that I look forward to becoming a part of.

Whatever they have planned for the future of NMS, I trust them to make it fun without ruining the integral solo experience.

7 Likes

@DarthTrethon I think you need to wait and see before you make your decision. You must know, as a player who’s been following the game prelaunch and enjoying the chill, solitary experience that Sean sold us, that he is very anti pvp.

He’s stated in the past there’s arguments in HG about Pvp and he’s very much against the game being that experience. He wanted something more like journey regarding multiplayer.

If Sean is bringing Pvp into his labor of love, have faith it will be done in a way that respects the community thats there for the chill, loneliness of space. It won’t be forced or mandatory, it’s obvious it’ll be an opt in opt out feature. Toggle it before you start a session. Or somethung to that effect.

If you think they’re making the game focus on this sort of experience and they’re just going to forget about what no mans sky truly is at its fundamental levels, then I dunno what to say, doesn’t sound like the hello games I know.

I understand your fears. I hate pvp myself, but I don’t think people will be griefing me, it’s a big universe and I’m sure I can turn it off.

I saw you’re also fearful of people griefing your home base etc. I honestly don’t think they’ll have the ability to attack a base, base building isn’t set up in nms the way it is in games like ark or conan etc.

To transition to that experience would require a massive overhaul of the games integral systems.l don’t think we’re there yet. Something like that could be introduced later though.

Like maybe our home bases stay the same but they introduce colony Co op fortress building that are separate things shared between clans that we must work together to protect. A totally opt in feature that would be too.

14 Likes

Well I hope you’re right and for the most part I agree that it’s very likely it’ll be optional but until certain information is given I’ll expect the worst.

3 Likes

It seems to me that even the thought that PVP might be in the game in the near future has already brought down the tone of discussions here.

This used to be a haven of cooperation. Already the news has pitted us against each other.

And that is the problem with PVP. Player Versus Player = Person Versus Person.

Unless you have been sheltered from it all your life, there is enough grief in Real Life. I would prefer the games I play and the forums I frequent to not have people at each others throats.

I respect people’s desire for PVP in this game (apparently in spite of the fact that there are tons of PVP games already out there). That said. I do not want PVP in the game. And I hope that my desire, too, will be respected, no matter how it turns out that HG is implements multiplayer.

** I have stopped reading this thread because it has become too painful to see people fighting over their gaming preferences.

7 Likes

I wouldn’t worry too much about it Darth. There are plenty of people out there that agree that implementing open pvp would destroy the game. HG knows that a lot of people would quit if they were constantly being griefed by a larger guild/hub. Sean was very vague on his explanation of PVP in the interview. In my opinion it will be in the game, but not a strong core focus of the newly implemented multiplayer. He made it sound more like a hit and run tactic or an optional experience for those who want to engage in pirating.

However, you aren’t the only one concerned about it. I will hope, for the sake of the community, HG goes into a little more detail on the planned implementation of PVP in NMS. This topic is already getting a little out of hand, even on Steam forums.

6 Likes

Good to know there is more widespread concern outside these forums. Hopefully HG at least notice that there is concern revolving around this issue.

6 Likes

I think that this is still a haven of cooperation and I do agree that PVP is a touchy subject here. I think that proper implementation is going to make or break this new multiplayer dynamic. HG has been listening to the us and I do not think they would intentionally split the community with open PVP. Let’s all step away from the doom/gloom of the subject and think of some creative ways to implement this new PVP feature.

To everyone : I think it is important here to be mindful of other peoples opinions even if we disagree. Let’s discuss the pros and cons of peoples conceptual implementations and expand on some ways to better them. In my opinion this feature will have a minor impact on the current game and most likely be a work in progress that will be modified/expanded on in future updates.

2 Likes

I love PvP, as long as it’s for single-player games… Seriously, though… I see both sides of the argument. I want multiplayer features to succeed as long as they don’t hinder the rest of the experience… But once you make it “true multiplayer”, everything will have to be implemented taking that angle into consideration… And judging by what’s out there, (not counting projects with the budget of a small country, like Star Citizen) it usually is very taxing in what you can do and show. And expensive to run. But the idea of cooperative gameplay and emergent features that we cannot accurately foresee yet (like the, I would assume, trading features to be announced) and collaborative building… shared exploration and discovery… WipeOut! (Pod-racing for Millennials) But also, the chance to confront a smart adversary once in a while, or fighting over something worth it, if you feel so inclined.

2 Likes

Here is kind of a fun conceptual implementation of PVP that gives the player the choice of involving themselves in a PVP scenario or not. Currently, we carry goods in our freighters from system to system without even having to think twice.
It’s a guaranteed way to make units.
What if we were to add a little risk to travelling with carrying these goods. Now this would be totally optional, but would offer a higher % when trading in your goods. The quest would start in a shady dealer in station, who would inform you on a location where your goods are in high demand. However, the roads there are dangerous and full of pirate, sentinel and faction (Gek, Korvax, Vykeen) activity. PC Pirates can also track down your freighter and warp/fast travel within a few jumps of your current star system. The pirates would see a ping on both systems only when you are warping between systems (Giving them a general, but not exact, location of where to find you). If the pirate catches you, you have a chance to fight. If you lose, you would only lose a portion of the cargo you were transporting. Also this would require a cool-down timer on the warp function for freighters at least during this event. Once the event concludes, the pirate will be warped back to his original location and all PVP ends for the players engaged in the battle.
I think this would be fun solo or even with a group of friends. Tell me what you guys think/expand on it and/or start posting some of your own ideas on how to implement pvp.

5 Likes

I read your description and thought of the new Battlestar Galactica.

I don’t think giving PC players the ability to better hunt down and harass players would be a good idea. However, this may work well with a scenario system (like a simulation within a simulation.)

Your idea also made me wonder about boarding other player’s freighters and the possible piracy option.

5 Likes

I like you. Good job taking this in a positive direction.

I agree with you. I was thinking about other games I have played and how they have implemented multiplayer. I don’t play Destiny anymore(I got it thinking it had a good story but turns out it was “ehhh”) but when you are playing single-player, you can see other players in the game and their activity but they cant harm you. They can shoot the bad guys and open doors but they can’t shoot you. When you accept a mission, others can ask to join you but if you want to play solo, the moment you start a mission, all the other players disapear amd your allowed to do the entire quest uninterrupted. If they want to join you and you agree, then they can and everyone else not allowed will disapear out of the play area until the mission is complete. That was a smart development move on their part. The only time you can shoot or harm another player is when you specifically go to an “arena” for it.

I think they are going to implement something similar to that. Accepting missions requiring you to travel far away and deliver something of high value, you and your chosen friends meet up with you and accept the mission too. Board your ship, fly away and the mission starts. NPC pirates follow and attack you. Maybe you get ambushed. Other players can chose to defend you(requiring a reward for their help) or attack you(if they rather have what you got) and you can use your “defense chits” if players and pirates are too overwhelming so you can have backup aswell.

Currently in NMS, the enemy NPC’s can scan your ship and find valuable cargo in your ship and attack you. Perhaps we will get a new ship scanner upgrade that can find out what other players have incase you want to be a pirate.

6 Likes

Agreed. i am no longer speaking on this issue as we have no idea how it’ll be implemented.

So anything else,other than what what da Big Sean said at the Xbox show, is speculation.

Happy travels fellow interloping entities :slight_smile:

3 Likes