Sean Murray's Reveals MAY 2018 (PvP Disscussion)

Unique? There are a trillion games out there where that’s literally all you do…Fortnite is the newest most popular mindless asshole box…go play that, it’s free…you go and get to have many “unique” experiences every minute…that should satisfy your desire for endless pointless shooting.

1 Like

Whelp, I tried, Sean.

2 Likes

From now on I will shot anyone that I see in the sky.

Just joking :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here actually want PVP?

I realize ETARC isn’t representative of the entire NMS community, so who was pushing so hard for the multiplayer?

I guess my only concern is whether the multiplayer and PVP systems will be separate. I hope that I will be able to disable PVP without disabling all multiplayer activity. I would prefer that NMS kept it’s solitary feel, but if PVP is it’s own mode I might check it out.

4 Likes

If I had to guess, PvP will be limited in some way. Whether it is a separate game mode, or only active in ‘unstable’ systems, or anything else is anybody’s guess right now.

Probably most likely is that it will be restricted to certain areas, being impossible or heavily penalized outside of those areas.

No man’s land in no man’s sky, you could say.

As for whether I want it or not, I’m neutral. I won’t be using it, anyway, unless it’s for fun with friends.

1 Like

Modified the title to reflect the majority of the discussion.

1 Like

Who wanted PvP? The haters, and the Call of Duty spaz kids who have things to say about your mother…that’s pretty much 99.99999999999999% of the people who wanted PvP. Best case scenario PvP is a self contained mode where the griefers just troll each other forever. If I was a developer I’d take that a step further and fill the PvP box with invincible killer bots to just slaughter the griefers forever.

2 Likes

Actually, Im one if those who wants pvp. I’m not a hater and i dont trash talk.

I don’t like solitude that much in real life ir in games. Im pretty social. Im not a Call of duty or destiny or fortnite fan though, but I do like the ability to shoot my friends(i like playing with my real life friends, not random people i dont know online that much though).

To be honest, to each their own, but since i heard about No Mans Sky years before its initial release, Multiplayer shooter in space is what i always wanted and the main reason why i followed the production of the game for so many years. I didn’t like the solitude of the game when it first came out and I admit it drove me away from it for a few days untill i decided “just give it another chance”, then i ended up actually enjoying it despite knowing in the back of my mind that i am playing a very incomplete game.

I say, peacefully: To those who like solidarity, do in the game like you maybe do in real life, go somewhere else and stay there? Not in a mean way, i mean it with kindness and suggestion. The game is big, i’ve played for two years and never crossed anyone still. Not even someone else’s discorveries. So those people will be fine. The people who “want” to play the game like its “fortnite”, I guarantee, the majority will get bored of trying to find someone to kill and go back to fortnite and probably never touch the game again after writing a mean review about how its not fortnite.

Please don’t hate on multiplayer in NMS if you haven’t tried it first or assume whi wanted the multiplayer crowd because… nearly everyone… wanted multiplayer when the game was in production. It was one of its main selling points.

4 Likes

Calm down!

Honestly, I have trouble imagining the kind of griefer that goes through 20+ hours to aqquire the high-level equipment necessary to even pose a threat to the average regular player, some more to get the neccessary glyphs to dial a portal to a hub, only to go for a 15 minutes drive, fire a few shots and get wiped out by an army of chicken. We tend to forget how much effort it actually takes to be able to do the things we do casually in game, and how boring those activities are for the “spaz-kids”, as you describe them.
There’s no microtransactions either that would provide a shortcut. They’ll have to play the game, and it’s not their kind of game.
And I’m absolutely sure there will be saveguards in place to discourage bullies. As mentioned, just swarming an attacker with chicken is a very obvious solution.

4 Likes

Could the sentenals play the “police force”?

Actually, I glad they add multiplayer. PVP or not.
I don’t want the game just be “pretty picture”.
Multiplayer will add more dynamic to the game.
And the playground is so big.

Literally the biggest bunch of nonsense I have ever read…would you like to play in peace? Just abandon the hubs, and never again share your coordinates…flawless logic. That’s literally the equivalent of saying “would you like your house not to be burned down? Would you like your resources to not be stolen? Just move to somewhere nobody will ever find you. I mean that with kindness…just like I will rob you with kindness.”

Trying to spin BS to make it sound like you’re selling sugar isn’t going to work…because the stench can be smelled from a mile away.

1 Like

I’m thinking vanilla wow days

PvP doesn’t worry me… Funneling all data through servers does. At the same time, I can’t help being excited about synchronized persistent changes and emergent gameplay asociated with it. If given a choice, that is the version I will traverse.
The people that wanted multiplayer the most are not the ones currently playing… And it sure was needed for the pitch that got MS, 505 and 10¢ on board.
I think the stuff that will blow the minds of current players will still be there…
And another prediction… Check what the critics are saying about State of Decay 2 co-op and how buggy they think it is… I think nms’ multiplayer will get us a lot of entitled users, who want stable 300fps. and that will indeed roam the verse, like reavers, looking for a fight… They will fade soon, like the first boiling moments of a universe creation. Metascore: Not great.

5 Likes

You’ll be fine. I’m sure you won’t have any problems with PvP. The hubs will be fine too. The developers are aware of the hubs and recognizes the hub as a major part of NMS’s community.

No need to be agressive.

4 Likes

I would love cloaking tech

3 Likes

Dunno… They might be in trouble for a while. There were times when I might have been “one of those people”… Say, if npc’s could have been shot… Persistently… Maybe being able to destroy space-stations? I have seen how we all deal with lashers. If they don’t give us creative tools, the call for destruction might be there…

2 Likes

Thank you @Jupiter.blues for the perfectly reasonable argument (not sarcasm). Seriously, some people need to take it down a notch.

I’m actually looking forward to the idea of multiplayer. My only concern is how the PVP aspect of the game will work. Being able to explore and such with friends sounds great, but the idea that I could be shot down at any moment is a bit unsettling.

4 Likes

Reasonable…his solutions was abandon everything and run away into unmapped space and be alone if you don’t want to be shot in the face and robbed…that’s exactly the total opposite of reasonable. And in case you haven’t figured it out yet…if the PvP is unrestricted the likes of him are going straight for the hubs and shared base addresses to rob you…with kindness.

Just treat them like pirate NPC.

1 Like