Sean Murray's Reveals MAY 2018 (PvP Disscussion)

One of the HG devs did once explain why they limited base building to those flat areas. It was a solution to radical terrain-gen changes (common during development), like we encounter during universe-resets. Unrestricted building leads to more complicated issues of many buried/floating structures in the aftermath. The flat areas let them easily/safely relocate everything without those problems (theoretically at least - in practice it also proved buggy at first for some players).

2 Likes

Free-building works as of now great through mods… Problem is when you start sharing all that information and even more, synchronized multiplayer building. Mindblown!

I am terribly worried about server-side multiplayer. Mainly, because those things cost money… and eventually, shut down. Think about the times we were 1000 people playing in the whole world… Before any of the updates. That would have meant the death of NMS right there under this model.

So I hope we can host our own Emilies… And make sure the offline it’s robust, and the multiplayer, ideally modular. If not, that is death sentence right there… Star Wars Galaxies, anyone?

Other than that I’m worried for the future of modding… It was all fun and games when we were just divergent anomalies who liked to twist the will of the Atlas to do our bidding, but now… We’ll be cast out as dark necromancers, hiding in fear of the Ban-hammer Inquisition. Real-life sentinels after RaYRod!!

There were no further words about cross-platform universes… Luckily! That would only make things worse. PC players would inherently dominate the galaxy… which would raise resent, in a PvP reality.

Only a controlled model, like Steam Workshop, Bethesda’s shop aberration, or them dropping a real dev-kit that tells us what we can, and what they don’t want us messing with.
I mean… It’s not like we are gonna to stop doing it. We’re too far down following the white rabbit. :slight_smile:

Just my two units…

3 Likes

I disagree %100. After playing a bunch of PVP/PVE games, both have their ups and downs.

PVP isn’t utter garbage, you may not like PVP, and/or arent good at it, or are bored of it, but PVP will be a nice breath of fresh air for NMS. Always thought the combat was just way too easy in No Mans Sky.

And NMS could be the perfect PVE/PVP kinda game cuz the map, i.e. a universe, is so big id expect its pretty frigging hard to just bump into people and grief them.

So im sure you can just go to the middle of nowhere and live your solo journey.

First they 'll have to find them in a universe sized game lol.

And i welcome the PVP challenge, Sentinels and Space pirates are pathetically easy with just a sigma shield upgrade.

To each their own. A toggle or setting for PVP before starting a new save would be best of both worlds.

2 Likes

NMS is my favorite game of all-time because I can just peacefully explore at my leisure…forever!!! Don’t take that away!!!

Can we just have a parallel galaxy or universe for those type of players?

We shouldn’t fear sharing our location in the future!

2 Likes

i agree! The more options, the better!

But hey! If some no good Traveler somehow tracks me down, i will fight to the death to protect Gribble Prime!

Its my planet and it aint big enuff for de both of us! xD

I seriously cannot wait for the funny MP YT videos and epic double crosses/ deals made between players and Randoms.

1 Like

To be optimistic is the fact that I’ve not crossed a soul in two years playing this game… And if anyone decides to chase me, I do too, welcome the challenge.
On a pessimistic note, we’ve got confirmation that they rather risk an unexpected last implementation game-breaking bug at launch for those coveted “newcomers”, than risking spoilers from the existing players… But at the same time, they are ok with releasing in Europe days later.

2 Likes

That’s because Micro$oft $peak with a $pecial $ound.

5 Likes

I am very happy to see so many like minded people on this thread. I tried posting about this on Facebook about my worries about PVP and if the game goes on servers that once the servers shutdown we can no longer play it, and no one cared. I really really hope PvP is some kind of separate mode that I can choose never to participate in and when the servers do get shut down I can still play the single-player game forever.

5 Likes

Maybe PvP events that you could participate in where if you win then there are rewards, but only in certain areas. It sounds enough like a Vy’keen sport.

1 Like

How do the menu options for online play and base sharing work together in the game? If I disable online play does it just mean I no longer get to see others but can still have base sharing enabled to visit others and others visit my base or does disabling online play also disable base sharing by default?

2 Likes

hey everyone!

Quiet a bit late on this topic, haven’t read much yet, but I can say that multiplayer/pvp is quiet a surprise.
I am sceptical about how this is gonna work. A separate save like survival or normal? That would be the best even if I don’t know if technically that is possible.
One of the things for me that are/were very powerfull in No Man’s Sky is that there was a total absence of pvp. We had a slight chance to see a player/orb, but that was it. And it was great.
Adding PvP to No Man’s Sky kinda puts him in a category where hundreds of other games are.

Pvp, pvp… nooooooo common guys, I am bad at pvp!

It may be the only big new thing. I’d really like to have another 30 hours of lore… please more Lore!

Still excited about the changes and all. We can feel that it is soon the end as they’ve suddenly unlocked 5 glyphs in one single time. Anyone was surprised about it? This all ARG could finish with a nice long stream… I’d like to see Emily once again, or Elizabeth who knows.

As SM said, best community ever !

6 Likes

Frankly I don’t care about PvP…it’s completely and utterly useless…at best it costs me time to deal with griefers and at worst it sets me back significantly if my resources get stolen. I don’t really care to be around people in the first place but right now I’m stuck near a hub because there are base decorations that should unlock by visiting player bases but some of them are glitched so I can’t do anything other than wait for HG to fix it. But as soon as I get all of those I’m gone forever.

4 Likes

Please take me with you! :pray:
hahahaha

4 Likes

NMS has provided us total freedom. We can go anywere we want. To expand on this freedom we should be able to do what we want. Travel alone for weeks on end or hang out with others. Build a farm or use someone elses. Point is; i think they are now giving us the ability to choose wether or not we would like to fire upon others. They give you the posibity of using your gun on others. You’ll have the freedom to do whatever you want.

Ps. If our paths may cross. I will not shoot! :wink:

4 Likes

How many times have you come across an orb of a total stranger? And what are the chances that person is a player that would kill you for no reason?

I really think that PvP would only be an occurrence if both parties were looking for it. It could be a problem in hubs and such, but wouldn’t it actually be kind of awesome to have a ‘police force’ of hub members that protect the hub from pirates and murders? Maybe there will be a wanted system, separate from the sentinel one, where the game will let you know if an approaching player is ‘wanted’ for stealing or killing. This gives you a heads up, and you could get a reward for taking them out.

The point is, it should be really, really easy to completely avoid PvP if you want. It shouldn’t be a problem. I doubt players will be able to scan your cargo and pull you out of pulse jump from subspace like pirates can.

THAT would be terrifying…

2 Likes

With portals and address sharing anyone can get to anyone else in the same galaxy in a matter of minutes…and then there are hubs…regions populated by dozens of people who live in close proximity…the “what are the chances” argument just doesn’t fly anymore…the “chances” are pretty damn high. PvP would draw every trigger happy asshole with a gun to a hub or to someone’s base if they shared their address…some people would make it their purpose to just portal hop and grief people. People would leave the hubs and stop sharing portal addresses as it would no longer be safe to do so. It would not be “freedom” it would be anarchy…it would be the end of peaceful coexistence and it would ruin the game for many.

3 Likes

Space is dangerous. People are dangerous. PvP will show the true colors of the travelers. If the majority of us are friendly, I’m sure we’ll have the tools to keep the jerks at bay. If the majority of us are trigger happy idiots, well, HG will probably remove PvP.

If you’re only interested in exploring and building/sharing bases, creative is the place for you.

I’ve played hundreds of hours and have not once met someone. I just play. I dare someone to find me. I’m not hiding.

If you can find me, come try to kill me. Please do.

I can take down the most dangerous pirates in about 3 seconds, and I’m sure my S Class Experimental multitool will prove effective against any foolish aggressors. Grah!

I certainly won’t be attacking anyone. I’m a nice guy. But I’m certainly not afraid of people who want to mess with me.

The only people you probably have to worry about are the people who play A LOT, and I doubt many jerks will play 100+ hours to get the tech they need to actually hurt us veterans. Just so they can be annoying in hubs or bases.

I’d also be willing to bet bases will be untouchable to other players, as they are now, or you can build defenses to take out intruders, if you wish. Or both even.

4 Likes

PvP will be annoying, either way, but I do think it could add interesting things to the game. Huge battles between competing hubs? Sounds cool.

Not everyone’s style, I get it. I wouldn’t be surprised if we got a new “Online” game mode.

It would ruin the game…full stop. It would destroy how things work now. This was never intended to be that sort of game and it will likely continue not being that sort of game…just because you want to play Call of Duty in space doesn’t mean others do. I suspect the PvP will be gated in some way like entering in that simulation we put artemis in for a PvP match before returning to the real game or in a separate game mode or it will be gated behind an option button. Chasing and shooting asshole isn’t what I aspire to do with my time in NMS…at all.

2 Likes

I don’t want COD in space. I will probably never shoot another person. It literally won’t effect my play experience at all. It would not ruin the game for me. If someone actually found me and killed me, I would be thrilled, because it would be an exciting and unique experience, something NMS really needs more of.

It will only really effect places where people gather. Hub dwellers and base sharers will have a hard time. Those things were never really meant to be in the game either, mind you. If we play like the exploring nomads HG originally intended, (that’s how I play, anyway) PvP will be extremely rare and not at all game breaking.

EDIT: This is my position. To keep things civil, which is the crowning jewel of this community, I won’t argue my point any further. I also highlighted the first two sentences, so other people will notice them, hopefully.

4 Likes