Sean Murray's Reveals MAY 2018 (PvP Disscussion)

You guys are not taking the sentinels into account. The moment someone decides to attack you, you could, first of all, destroy them immediately because you have hundreds of hours more play experience, and second of all, have a horde of sentinel interceptors swoop in and help you out.

I’d be willing to bet the game will be built to heavily discourage hurting other players, just as it discourages you from hurting npcs.

5 Likes

Expanded screensaver on twitter!!

Liking the better details( vines in the trees and head feathers / back plates and detail on the creatures!!)
Also those clouds look interesting!!

“With a bunch of your friends, like a small group of your friends can go exploring, or you can just come across random strangers and other travellers… er… you can pair up together in a team, and, just, like, work together to survive. Erm… Or, if you’re “that guy”, you can go and prey on other people, right?”

Sean Murray, 18/05/2018. Exact transcript.

3 Likes

Going by this thread, ‘that guy’ is going to have 25 fighters bearing down on him the moment he shows up in a CSD occupied system. :wink: :rofl:

10 Likes

Not gonna lie, I’d be ok with PvP, but I agree that I wouldn’t want it all the time. The hostile systems idea would actually be great. Also I really hope team killing won’t be a thing. I already know what will happen if I get my friends to play No Man’s Sky.

2 Likes

I think I have a plan of action…since we don’t know how PvP will work or if it can be disabled I am going to fill all 6 of my ships with repair materials necessary to open a couple of portals and recover from a galaxy jump, and I’m going to stock up on the trinkets that monoliths can ask for in order to pinpoint a portal. So as soon as the new update arrives I will try visiting a few player bases around the hub to try an get the final decorations I am missing(which will hopefully be fixed to unlock correctly) and then go straight for consecutive galaxy jumps…then rinse and repeat until I arrive at the undisclosed galaxy I have chosen to live…once there I will use the portal system to get to what should be one of the most unfindable places in that galaxy to where nobody would find me by accident. Well I have chosen a series of potential galaxies to be my final destinations…still deciding just how extreme I should go…whether I should top between galaxies 50 and 100 or if maybe I should go over 100 or 150.

I want to be well away from where 99.99999% of the players are and I want to be so far way that less than a handful of people would be in the same galaxy as me and if anyone were to somehow find out where I am they would have to invest a sufficiently large amount of time that they would consider it to be too much work.

2 Likes

@DarthTrethon
Going 5 galaxies and then heading to an outside location on the fringe in a direction not level with the core will just about guarantee you will never ever see another traveller for the life of your NMS life.
90% of players stay in Euclid. The rest scatter across the quintillion possibilities beyond.
I think you can be sure of your safety.

4 Likes

Maybe MP has already been hinted on, a simulation within a simulation, you have an access panel to transport yourself in game to the PvP section, choose your arch-type and away you go

6 Likes

That would be ideal…

1 Like

In regards to conversations in this thread:

Looks like it is going to get complicated…

4 Likes

Reminds me - the Simulation Room in the Anomoly that ‘I’ stored Artemis in plus the other currently :no_entry: door…

1 Like

I think that statement is a bit confused and doesn’t clarify a whole lot…it says “Tiny shelters or complex colonies that you build as a team are shared for all players…”…well sure, but we also always have the option to turn off base sharing, and I don’t think they’re going to take that away either…so it doesn’t speak much for what other options we may have in the game. I think they just want to say that hey, here’s all you can do and not focus so much on the fact that hey…you won’t see another’s base if they don’t want you to see it or hey you won’t run into anyone who decides to turn off network play and so on.

2 Likes

I’m going to stay positive about it until proven wrong.

5 Likes

I think they WANT people to play together and so far they have only spoken positively about the hubs and the established NMS communities so I really don’t think they’re going to force PvP on the game like that. In the end I think PvP will have to either be a menu option or be gated to a game mode or be gated to something like Raging galaxies for example…stuff to where it’s clear when you’re going to step out of PvE into PvP. At least I hope so.

3 Likes

Hello Everyone,

We are busily working on No Man’s Sky NEXT, but wanted to share a little news about our upcoming update.

Today we are letting people know that you’ll be able to play No Man’s Sky as a full multiplayer experience with your friends in NEXT. We wanted to share our new cover art too.

We are also announcing the release date. No Man’s Sky NEXT is coming as a free update to PC and PS4 on July 24th. Xbox One launches on July 24th.

We were delighted by the reaction to NEXT, even though we just shared the name so far, it means so much to see that people were already pumped about it. The reaction to coming to Xbox and weGame was really lovely too. I am excited for new players to be able to play such an expanded game from the start, as well as experienced players having a fresh experience.

We’ve been playtesting multiplayer for the last 6 months, and the game has evolved into a very new experience that we think the community will enjoy.

You’ll be able to explore the universe with a small group of friends, or bump into random travelers. You can help friends to stay alive, or prey on others to survive. Tiny shelters or complex colonies that you build as a team are shared for all players. Fight as a pirate or a wingman in epic space battles with friends and enemies. Race exocraft across weird alien terrains, creating race tracks and trails to share online.

That’s always been the potential I think everyone could see in what we were making, it’s been a lot of hard work, but thanks to the team and the community we are so glad to finally able to make it a reality.

Something I’ve learned is that I much prefer making games to talking about them. I avoid it as much as I can now, but I had to do my first interview in a couple of years with Inside Xbox to talk a little bit about NEXT, which you can see here:

This is an incredibly important update for us, but it’s also just another step in a longer journey, and we’ll continue to support No Man’s Sky in this way for the foreseeable future.

This will be our biggest update yet and we’re pumped to be bringing Xbox players along on the journey with us now too. The Xbox One launch of No Man’s Sky will include all 4 major updates (Foundation, Pathfinder, Atlas Rises and NEXT), along with dozens of smaller patches. 505 Games will distribute the physical Xbox One version worldwide.

Thank you so much,

Sean

2 Likes

I saw this was a potential path forward with the game’s multiplayer as soon as they introduced it during the new portals story line if you choose for Artemis to live.

An obvious way of handling PvP is to use the already existing conflict rating, and Sentinel-swarming offenders in other systems. Those bloody bots might as well do something useful for a change…
I won’t lose any sleep over it, I’m way off the map and unlikely to ever see anyone anyways. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I think HG will give us more freedom to where to build our base. Same as they did with signal scanners and all. First they where scattered around the planet. Now you can build them anywhere you want. The same basics can be applied to bases.

Maybe they used fixed base positions because HG knew that they would glitch out or cause other problems if they would let us build bases close to eachother (because that is what would have happend).

1 Like

I think PVP will not be a big issue. People have been playing nice for quite a while now.
Sure, you’re a Orb and all you can do is trash talk basicly. But still. I don’t think PvP will be an issue for the people who dislike it.

We just have to wait and see. Just have faith that HG is thinking through this PvP . They now what they’re doing.

1 Like

Unfortunately there are people out there that maliciously build a base in the same system as yours to remove you from being discovered; they even go so far as to place a comm ball to let you know.

4 Likes