Sean Murray's Reveals MAY 2018 (PvP Disscussion)

Someone didn’t look it up like I said. Lol.

If you looked into Ark, you’d see that you actually don’t have to pay for a server, I just personally wanted full control of all parameters with my group of friends.

There are already hundreds of official servers that each have different settings and you can choose which one to join. Some dont allow PvP for those that just want to complete the game and solve the mystery of it. The official servers are all free.

1 Like

Sounds like a mess…a giant mess. I rather just have a PvP off button.

I’m aware of how ARK works and yes it does have lots of flexibility in all its options but I simply don’t think that kind of set up will work with NMS.
Very different. I think mutiple option tabs will be our likely way of adjusting our multiplayer… or like @DevilinPixy mentioned earlier maybe PVP will only be available on some modes.

3 Likes

Not to mention that with servers comes the absolute certainty that at some point they WILL be shut down…and if you want to change servers you lose everything…so no…I really rather they didn’t do anything related to servers.

2 Likes

It would be a mess and a different can of worms for the developers in case of server hosting. Quite a decision to make to setup an infrastructure that allows for server hosting and server sessions. There has been no sign of this going to happen, but who knows what HG has planned for the future. I seriously doubt this will happen though, although not impossible.

4 Likes

They certainly opened up a can of worms by suggesting PVP :rofl:

3 Likes

Imagine this possibility if you will:

You are happy enough eking out your existence in your own way in the galaxy, when one day, you return home after a hard days farming to find a new Comm Ball near your base.

Excited you hurry over to see what kind message has been left, only to read it and feel upset that someone could be so mean and say such things about the Gek Farmer living at your base. The message taunts and laughs at you and he even provides his Coordinates, almost a challenge.

You are bigger than this and you ignore it and comfort the Gek in your special way before returning to farming again.

Then one day, you scan the Galactic Map and with your Conflict Scanner installed, and discover the Hostile system. You would normally ignore this, not rising to it, but today your a feeling a little drunk/high/brave so you decide to warp in and see just how good your new upgrades are, plus you want to protect your Gek’s honour!

Long story short, you get wiped out. You find a group of players have teamed up to effectively ‘run’ the system and death follows soon after.

Now, you respawn and tell yourself that was a bad idea, and return hometo replenish and repair and upgrade your kit, quite happy in the knowledge you’re safe from harm in your Low Conflict world.

But pride is stinging you, that look in the Gek’s eye, and you desire revenge so you do what any other person would do.

You gather your friends and share the coordinates of the system where you got spanked in, and plan.

At an arranged time, four enormous Super-Freighters warp into the system simultaneously and from the hangars, four teams of heavily armed S-Class Fighters tear out to wreak havoc in the skies.

Seeing off their Space defences you all land and proceed to saturate them both on foot and Exocraft, exacting your revenge up close and personal and looting them of their ill-gotten gains and avenging the real victim in all this; the innocent Gek farmer.

Once the battle is won, you all go back to your bases safe in the knowledge that justice has been served.

Now obviously, they may not work PvP like this at all, but in writing this it throws up even more possibilities which could be implemented:

• Exocraft designed for battle
  • Ability to hold more than one multitool
  • Working Base defences (Just incase you decide to claim a home in a hostile world)
  • Working freighter weapons

(I’ve always been against PvP and still am as I love the solitude the game offers, but the above scenario would be brilliant)

8 Likes

I stopped reading around the part where it got dumb about some Gek…how about no.

1 Like

I like it.
I don’t want it but you present a likable gameplay scenario for those into PVP type play.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thats possible. Maybe it will have its own mode. That kinda has been HG style of introducing a new game mode like “creative” mode, ect.

However, HG did mention using cloud tech which is just storing your game and game data ln servers that have backup storage in case of tbe servees going down. Thats pretty much 2018’s peak technology for games right now. Doesn’t get much better than that right now.

Also, a PvP off button would cause those young kids to turn it on, murder someone in cold blood, turn it back off and get away with murder so thats why set rules from the beginning is normally what games like these have due to be fair. I’m not for the whole multiple-server thing, but it’s common now so its not unlikely.

But now im thinking:
What if they employ a sort of “space police” where some areas are heavily guarded so no one can mess with you in specific systems or they’ll face death themselfs and a potential fine. And others are “lawless” systems so if your attacked, no “space police” will come to your aid, enter at your own risk.

1 Like

Space battles, being preyed on, colonies in conflict, hubs at war … not for me, I’d prefer to be able to ignore and not be forced to be part of such. No offence to those who do enjoy these things. As long as I am not forced to jump galaxies to get away from all this, because I may want to team up with some friendlies who similarly wish to not have to fend themselves. That is basically my main concern, because as it currently stands, there is no going back to a galaxy where your friends may be. Constantly being forced to move and hide from ‘conflict’ is not something I am looking forward to.

Just concerned is all, as it stands, we have no clue what HG has planned for us and how this ‘PvP’ will work out. I am excited, as I am sure HG got it all figured out, or at least I assume so.

1 Like

The zoning idea was mentioned earlier and in some respects it makes sence that a peacefull system is heavily policed and safe but a warring system might be a complete lawless free-for-all.

As for them cheeky kids toggling PVP on and off. That could be easily fixed by implimenting a time limit before toggling that switch works.

1 Like

Am playing a version of NMS purchased from the GOG server. They gave me the choice to play offline or online.
I really am of the old generation who never played games online, so I choose to play it offline.

After two years, am still enjoying playing this game in solitude offline, so I hope this still will be possible after the Next update. Of course I will miss out on a lot of stuff.

I do enjoy watching others play NMS, so will continue doing that.

But maybe I will not upgrade at all…

2 Likes

In general I feel like PvP has the potential to really ruin the way many play the game if not handled properly…if not optional it will greatly diminish the population of all the hubs if not outright end hubs. My understanding was the Sean and HG loved the idea of people forming hubs so it makes no sense…I really hope they allow us to either turn off PvP in options or limit PvP to one or two newly introduced game modes.

4 Likes

Good point there. A timer would make sence so they can’t have a perfect getaway. Hmmm…

I guess having “zones” seem like the way to go then. Those who want solitue can feel safe and continue their usual play style. Those who want to play a shoot-em-up can go into the designated areas for it.

And for balance, perhaps having maybe 90% of the universe safe zones. And about 10% lawless zones. And the use of a conflict scanner can help you avoid those lawless places.

2 Likes

So far it’s kind of useless so that would make it a more valuable tool.

4 Likes

Very true. I think PvP is going to be better than we think. And if not at first, then in a future update whem HG hears our feedback. They have been saying that they are listening to us.

1 Like

Given the tweet that just appeared over in the other thread May 17 - 19 Final 5 Glyphs Active / SM Interview / Voice Recordings Task - #89 by sheralmyst perhaps the PvP is simply fun dog fights and stuff like for training or practice. It looks like it hints at all the NEXT update features being ‘friendly’ not viscious like we have been discussing here.

2 Likes

I think you’re reading too much into that tweet…it really doesn’t say much either way…it neither confirms nor denies anything about PvP.

1 Like

It’s the ‘dog fights’ bit mixed in with other ‘fun’ type activities that catches my attention.
Could be as simple as a fighter based game of tag.
…and yes I’m reading too much into it but in a hopefulway :smile:

2 Likes