NEXT First Impressions

Well, here it is … a brand new game.
Tis not the old … This broke everything.

Once again have to learn all over … everything.
For me I do not like it!

Problem I see is how many times are we gonna go though this?
Every major update?

My wife plays on the PS4 … she is not happy about it either.

My traveller is still gonna be where he is and moving to the ultimate goal. I have not played enought to see if the game trys to force me down a new story line. Which I will not do … because it will be BULLSHIT!

I understand many of ya love it, please enjoy, be safe. Always help the traveller!!!

6 Likes

@jedidia I actually sent Hello Games a long list of combat related things that I felt were too easy in the game. You should as well so that they hear it from more people! (at the zendesk I mean)

1 Like

You could call it a pitstop, I guess. Hoping you’ll soon be on your way again!

4 Likes

I think the new opening where you’re not near your ship has given me PTSD as a result of starting on a heavily toxic planet, and a n insane fight for survival. Sure I maybe on a nice planet now, but I think I’ll just stay in my ship unless it’s absolutely necessary to get out.

Anyway. I’m enjoying the more involved systems. Though I think the repair requirements for ships and multi-tools could do with a tweak in terms of the steepness. Also allow us the ability to move standard elements around within. I know people use external editors to adjust tool arrangements, but being able to group parts together within the game would be a lot easier.

Not sure about the having to personally go and addess my frigates problems. Cool as it is to be able to land on a ships. It feels like a bit of an unnecessary low quality time sink that I have to go and wipe their arse whenever they run out of Toilet Paper. I’m sure a better solution would be to manage repairs from the freighter.

Also sort the base arrangement out so that the building entrances face towards the landing zones.

2 Likes

Agrre. Initial impression I had was quite favorable, but as I started really playing the bugs became apparent. HG really needs to consider closed betas in the future. Would save them much grief in the long run. Wish they would have focused on the multiplayer element to appease the hoard . Then slowly make core changes to crafting incrementally. If I have to start from scratch again, I may give up and just explore in creative mode when I need some Zen moments.

1 Like

It was blindingly obvious why HG didn’t have closed betas for 1.3 or 1.5. The vast majority of us who already know the game accept that the next few weeks will be a period of adjustment and bug fixes.

And they do, and they will, fix the bugs. They will work like demons, for as long as it takes. They’ve done it before.

They sold you one of the most innovative games ever made. Then they upgraded it, for free. Then they upgraded it again, and again, and again. And it didn’t cost you a penny.

And all they’re asking for, in thanks for their years of work, is that you wait a couple of weeks for the bug fixes.

Let’s give credit where it’s due.

12 Likes

New economy exploit discovered: Sell frigate fuel :smile:

3 Likes

@jedidia Care to elaborate on that?

Of course they are hard working the issues as they have, the HG team has my utmost respect. My point, though not well stated is I’ll wait for the patches before I proceed on my long journey. Creative mode will give me a chance to learn the economy and resources in the mean time. They certainly have their hands full with release on three platforms to contend with. 100,000 on Steam today! I hope this update brings in many more long term players.

Frigate Fuel (200 Tonnes) is valued at 200,000 units and is made from 200 Di-hydrogen & 200 Tritium (both easy to get and are in abundance). The same (relative) cost/pricing for the 100 & 50 Tonnes.

2 Likes

Artemis started once I returned to my original system where my base was and received a distress beacon call. Atlas started a little after I met Nada & Polo

To start i am not a ‘gamer’ , and my comments here are also based on the fact it took me 2 months short of 2yrs i.e. since launch to hit 500hrs gameplay.

I decided to start a new save from the beginning in NEXT to learn the changes. So far the resource gathering and refining is very time consuming and especially after reaching a nice comfort zone in Atlas Rises, this is going to take alot of patience to grind through.

Its all good :grinning: NEXT is incredible and i am sure that in at least 2yrs time i will be enjoying it fully :rofl:

Till then i do not think i will be very active on this forum as i will be far behind the curve of meaningful contributions and also to avoid spoilers due to my pedestrian gameplay.

Glad i did at least play quite a bit of minecraft back in the day for some perspective with complex crafting.

Bon Voyage travelers till NEXT time.

4 Likes

Yup, will be soon, more info later on the galaxies.
RL: moving in the next 4 to 6 weeks to Bethel Alaska.

7 Likes

BIGGEST PROBLEM all crafting/resources renamed and changed.
For 2 years iron, T9, etc were being used and to change that to a bunch of BULLSHIT.

this reminds me of open pre beta playing. This should be a completely new version.
Old version kept seperate. But I understand the issue of info beening saved etc.

So be it, those whom came to play on the Xbox, Ps4, pc as new will enjoy it, hopefully.

Wife is pissed at the changes and the bugs. Freighter lockup, ships missing, not able to launch
continues on the PS4.

Be safe,
Later

5 Likes

Yes. I often dropped a comm with the comment “May your Thamium always be plentiful
1.5 onwards players who stumble across these are going to be pretty confused.

It’s pretty much become NMS 2.
Barely anything from day one remains. I miss the vibrant colours and weirdness of some places. I do love the new realism and crispness but the earlier versions had a certain posterized look that was destinctly NMS, whereas now the colours are all softer and less vibrant.
I guess that’s a side effect of progression.

3 Likes

Honestly, I don’t miss Thamium (or Plutonium, or Iron) at all. For me it’s more immersive to have to craft your fuel and refine your resources before using them, or to be able to benefit from a more concentrated version of the resource (think Sodium → Sodium Nitrate or Ferrite Dust → Pure Ferrite).

For sure Hello Games have almost like no other gaming company tested our patience and resolve by re-inventing the game so many times, but the fact of the matter is that I “understand” and “feel” the Sci-Fi vision they had so much better with NEXT.

3rd person helps a lot to this effect. It makes me sometimes feel so lonely and manifesting a sense of wonder of trying to find myself (especially if playing the story). It’s weird that seeing an actual avatar (player character with animations) helps with that.

It’s each to his or her own I suppose, and the simplicity of Th9 or Pu or the other elements pre-NEXT is missed by many I’m sure, but as an overall experience I was never as immersed into the game as I am now.

4 Likes

LOL progression …

What are you trying to say?

ROFL… tis nothing but fun @bcatrek

:beers:

1 Like

I warp alot and jump through blackholes feet first.
The bugs, glitches, grpahic problems are bad.
I have submitted to ZenDesk.

we playing pre-alpha?

2 Likes