My Atlas Pass V4 theory

I think they will be just customized by class, e.g. they will order certain number of each class and that will then be distributed to appropriate group of people. It would be nice if they were customized at personal level, but that could be little too expensive, right?

To be honest I just think it would be cool to get one whatever it is. It’s more of a symbolic thing in my opinion. If I would be one of the lucky picked mine is going on display right next to my PS4 limited edition display in all its glory. Only thing missing is the ship that for some reason was only included in the PC version… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

I have a different hypothesis than most collegues about Atlas V4 pass. Here goes.

Abstract.

Physical Atlas V4 passes, or more specifically, (some or all of) their particular designation types listed on each, - are possibly keys for participating in possible future special programs such as alpha and/or beta tests for new software features, possibly polls, etc. If so, then actual key would of course be not the pass itself, but corresponding record in HG’s database linking one’s Atlas v4 pass / designation to one’s e-mail address. Access to such programs would then be granted through one’s e-mail address.

Analysis.

As we know, there are different designations of the Atlas V4 pass assigned to owners of the latter. As we know, designation is represented by the combination of a letter (or two) and a number. Further, as far as i can tell, designation’s number can only vary in a narrow range from (and including) 15 to (and including) 19.

During WT, we learned about loop15 and loop16. Now, it seems unlikely to me that numbers in names of those loops match lowest numbers of Atlas Pass V4 designations by pure chance. Quite the opposite, i suspect that this is by design. In other words, i suspect that specific designation of an Atlass V4 pass has its number indicating some sort of “access level” of the owner of the pass in terms of future major versions of the loop.

To clarify, there is one specific suggestion (by me and some others as well) that “loop15” relates to the last major core engine version during pre-release development of No Man’s Sky (which took ~4 years), while “loop16” relates to “v1” of No Man’s Sky (currently functional, a bit over 1 year in operation). If so, then “17” in Atlas v4 pass may indicate that the owner will have access to limited-access features / tests / polls / etc for “NMS 2.x” automatically, and then “19” in Atlas v4 pass may indicate that the owner will have such access for up to and including “NMS 4.x”. What “15” number in designation is for - i can’t suggest any well; perhaps it is for citizens who are found not desirable to participate even in current NMS 1.x major patch tests and such, or perhaps it’s for citizens who are unknown quantity and thus are still to get some different, “final” designation. Or perhaps something else.

Obviously, this in no way is any “exclusive club”, though. The e-mail which informed citizens about their own Atlass v4 designation has specifically stated that their designation was “upgraded”. I have no doubt similar upgrading would be possible in the future for some citizens.

Further reinforcing this hypothesis of mine are the following rationalities:

• during WT, there were technical means to estimate activities, certain features and specific abilities of participating citizens. It makes sense to make use of such estimations for future development. Using certain set of codified “designations” to formalize access levels - simplifies affairs;

• last year, general public has clearly demonstrated that at times, it’s not a good idea to let it know / hear / discuss specific details before-handedly (and sometimes, at all), and this could be one of reasons to introduce access level system which may or may not be those Atlas v4 designations;

• if Atlas V4 passes would be just cool mementos, then it makes little sense to create different designations, set up systems which form up corresponding letters, create corresponding pictures, and formulate lines of text sent out to thousands people which are about Atlas v4 pass designation. Noone would do said things if the item would be “just a memento”. Why would they. We have precedents confirming it, too: electronic bonus content for pre-ordering never had any varying designations, neither collector edition’s items had any designations of the sort, too (afaik).

Conclusion.

It really seems that there is some practical purpose to Atlas pass v4 (and designation system it comes together with), and currently i don’t see any better explanation to it than the above. However, again, this is a hypothesis only. It may well be wrong in part, or perhaps even entirely. We will see.

3 Likes

I am comfident the Atlas Passes will be small platinum items with inlaid gold detail & nano-card technology.
Apart from looking really cool, they will communicate wirelessly with all NMS platforms connected to username databases, providing an instant 500M units credit & an ultimate S class military spec craft in game.
When worn as an amulet, it will be seen as a tailsman of virtue by any who witness it, resulting in all manner of generosity & loving attentions.
When held in the left hand while chanting a mantra in the winter moonlight, you will become capable of telepathic control of wild beasts & able to converse with visiting aliens.
It will also look nice in a frame next to figurines.

Or something like that… :grin:

14 Likes

You meant it to be funny, but i am not laughing, Mad-Hatter.

3 Likes

Apologies.
I don’t tend to take things as serious as everyone else. No offense intended.

I think Fins was being seriously-funny in response to you being fantastically-funny lol
Sorry if you were already aware

2 Likes

I thought is was funny :wink:

1 Like

Maybe not. I still convinced it will just be a nice looking card. Fairly cheap to print. I was thinking they might have our hex designations. Or maybe they will include the nickname we provided in that one survey :thinking:

1 Like

What about WT-01 and AWK in your theory ?

Most likely those are temporary designations, seeing their meaning is so telling: “WT” probably stands for “Waking Titan”, and “AWK” probably stands for “Awake”. I guess those are for people Loop16 is not sure about so far in terms of their significant features as persons, but recognises them as participants of certain activities in general. Both those designations do not follow the system most other designations are made in, clearly.

1 Like

The internet and peoples inability to express tone through font. It never ceases to amaze me with its misunderstandings :slight_smile: Everyones a winner!

3 Likes

My guess is that maybe it is to put us into certain groups and maybe in the future there will be faction stuff (Crazy thinking I know) my idea is that by the next big update Co-op will be way more advanced then the orbs we have now

Side note - I haven’t seen another player and I’m curious if on Ps4 if maybe you need plus to interact with people cause that’s how online works on ps4 but maybe not

Update _ Nothing happend:)

2 Likes

In the phase leading up to the upgrade of the CSD designations, citizens had to complete small profiling questionnaires.

On the basis of the questionnaire answers, people were allocated to different groups.

People who gave whacky, contradictory, or incomprehensible answers, were allocated to the “AWK” group.

It stands for “Awkward”

4 Likes

very difficult to say. If you take a look on the results of a 1064 players poll, there is no obvious line:

That was a little joke.

Actually, in the wash-up sessions after Waking Titan, one of the organisers said that the questionnaires were used to grade people - but that they were then deliberately mixed up, so that each group contained a mix of personalities and attitudes. He also said that there was a future intention to use these groups for something, but he wouldn’t say what it was.

1 Like

yes i remember:

“Kilmerval -
Haha The divide [between designations] starts again
Anashel -
No, the number are not to divide, but groupe different profile that would not normally group. In part.”

Of course, the “in part” makes me crazy. And as we’re mixed up i don’t believe there is a “grade”, all the Citizen Scientists are “equal” whatever the designation (or the ones who should be in a “better” group could feel cheated).

1 Like

I think the designations could have been based on the poll that Emily did regarding our strengths and weeknesses at solving puzzles
e.g. Some people that are good at puzzle solving using cyphers will be mixed with people that are not,
People that are good at web research will be mixed with people that are not etc
Just a theory

The results of which are here, she starts talking about it at 5:40 in

1 Like

LVL4-TROPHY

8 Likes