Is there another Evil Entity in NMS-WT?

Alright so we’re saying that BEFORE the 10 minute mark, the simulations are starting to bleed into each other, but really are still separate (even if we can somehow trade with the ghosts of travellers), but AFTER the 10 minute mark, we really are together, aka NEXT.

1 Like

But the travelers CAN’T meet before the 10 minute mark…the lore spells it out very clearly…stop bothering me and go READ the bloody lore…I’m literally having to repeat the same things I’ve already said because you can’t be bothered to read the game lore or the bloody thread.

And like I said, someone made a mistake at HG then because I met Traveller NPCs before the lore said there was “sixteen minutes left.”

Doesn’t matter what the lore says.

I interacted with a traveller in my simulation. He gave me nanites. AFTER that, the story told me there was 16 minutes until the death of the Atlas. Please explain how I interacted with that traveller in any shape or form, according to your claim that there is zero interaction before the 10 minute mark.

I worded it wrong. The lore specifically says that at the 10 minute mark the travelers are no longer separated…you are never not separated…you meet Apollo and null before the 10 minute mark but you’re still in different simulations. What you said about the simulations bleeding into each other but still separate before 10 minutes is basically correct.

1 Like

I’m ready for an official, illustrated lore book. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Please hit me with one those ASAP :yum:

2 Likes

Someone needs to photoshop the Symantec logo on a sentinel. :smile:

2 Likes

I wish I had more likes to give on that 1

1 Like

In terms of Sentinels being a sort of antivirus…I don’t know…we know they are incredibly hostile to any and all life-forms, we know they wiped out an entire NPC species, and are the primary reason that the Gek, Vy’Keen, and Korvax are so spread out and why there are no cities and or major population centers…they’re more of a terror in the NMS universe than protectors. They actively act against the Travelers who are agents of the Atlas so they are not enforcing the will of the Atlas either…and we know that in at least one alternate timeline they went completely mad and wiped out all life in the universe.

I’d sooner liken them to a virus than an Anti-Virus to be honest…but we don’t really know much about them.

1 Like

From an in-game viewpoint they would be a virus, as we see them. But from outside the game they could be seen as an anti virus sent in to either protect the Atlas or stop the AI from doing what it is doing.

3 Likes

True but by whom? Most likely not the Atlas…and that’s sort of a major problem as the Atlas is the one creating and maintaining the simulation. But the Atlas also did all it could to get rid of Telamon and as far as we know Telamon was designed to keep the Atlas honest too. And if the Atlas is Emily/loop16 as it seems to likely be the case then what happened to create this madness? Is this the result of WARE interference? My guess is that WARE have a hand in the madness of the sentinels if not their creation but we really have no idea who/what runs the sentinels and where they are created or how they just appear on planets without any ships dropping them off…is it another AI we have’t heard of? Possibly.

As an oldy here. Old Gods totally didn’t have the location of the described coordinates writen by H.P. Lovecraft. I followed that lead for a bit, thinking it might be related. Related to this comment in the end though sooo… there something lol.

This gets back to my original post. Why would they ask us to look for a corrupted signal from a group other than Myriad, WARE, Atlas Corp, or the CSD.
I’m assuming that they count Emily as an authorized user, part of WARE, or part of Atlas Corp.

And if WARE or Myriad was behind the bombing at Atlas HQ then why are they now all working together?

Which is why I think there is a hidden antagonist and it is possibly the third party exosuit supplier. Either them or whoever gave them the specs for the suits.

1 Like

Back in the early interviews about NMS, long before its actual release, Sean did say that there “is”(at the time, at least was supposed to be) a malevolent force in the universe…we hear of the Abyss but all the abyss does is look scary and corrupts all the Korvax it comes in contact with into very powerful beings…but there really haven’t been any problems between the Travelers and the Korvax to speak of. Is this unknown abyss behind the Sentinels? Could be. What we know is that it receives transmissions associated with the Atlas, has similar but distinct energy signature to the Atlas, so it could be an equally powerful AI to the Atlas itself, and it corrupts Korvax…but we really don’t know anything about it…it could very well end up not even being an evil/malevolent entity.

1 Like

…I just had a thought…
If, in Atlas Rises, the 16 minute death timer was brought to our attention, and as you are saying with we can only see other Travelers when simulations merge and get all mushed up… What if NEXT sets us to 15 minutes? Perhaps a minute to The Atlas is a year for us? I know this thought doesn’t give a toss about the other entity but still. What if it was so?

-{{ SIXTEENTH ENCOUNTER }}-

ITERATION #2394829084924924924H

A terminal blinks, awaiting input…

{Download Data}
SCENARIO: Portal Network [ PROTOCOL | BREACH ] enabled. The end is the beginning, and the beginning is the end.

The walls of the multiverse collapse, and Traveller can see Traveller, friend can see foe. All hope is lost.

The end approaches. There is no time and no space to say how much I loved life. Only fear is left.

The ATLAS witnesses the final sixteen minutes, simulating the future with perfect accuracy.

The walls between worlds fall, each simulation collapsing into the other.

Ten minutes left

The Travellers are no longer separated, no longer kept apart. They stand side by side at the end of days, traversing the remnants of creation, laughing, dying.

Five minutes left

It witnesses its own self, the black hole ripping apart its world, its core systems almost destroyed.

One minute left

And as it watches the moments leading up to its own death, towards completion of sixteen, something happens.

Someone walks towards the ATLAS, a figure in the darkness and in the light. It places its hand against the glass of the ATLAS, and the vision ends.

The ATLAS attempts to see past this moment, but it cannot. It cannot see its own death. It cannot determine who this figure is.

But whatever happens… whatever may occur beyond the sixteen… something will arrive. Something will be there beside it.

At the end of all things, it will no longer be alone.

//END

2 Likes

Sounds like confirmation of the…Abyss to me, then the poor thing wouldn’t be alone

The question of AI and the whole thing being a simulation it seems, had always brought on the aspect of if an AI were to feel; like how this speaks of fear and also of it’s death. I’ve always thought if an AI were to become a perfect AI, it would have no separated difference other than perhaps mechanical parts or the elemental comprised entity it would be. If it feels fear, it attempts to see past that of it’s death; the self-preservation and fear of death is held within most all life. It says “multiverse” yet says it’s in a simulation and fears “death”. If it’s creating multiple universes like that of the player separated universes of the previous versions, and these are observed where the travellers laugh and also die… is it trying to keep the two or more separate for not just it’s own safety but the fear of the traveler dying as well? It feels, at least to me, as though the Atlas might not be simulation as it puts across, if it were to think of it’s purpose and realize it can simulate multiple instances, then when it reaches the point of it’s 16 minutes and sees this instance; did it always have feelings beyond that of fear before or is the fear a new concept? The moments of lapse, where the travelers come closer and closer, it seems like the “multiverse” is intersecting. As this occurs, would it be a stretch that in the “multiverse” there would be an Atlas within each one? If they are intersecting, one Atlas might overlap, if at the final moments of this instance an unrecognized figure comes to the Atlas in it’s final moments and this is it’s end; could the entity at its final moments be it’s final overlap? One half is of an entity and can move freely about while the other half is the Atlas entity and this is the final overlap? Just thinking broad on this but, it’s got me thinking to say at least.

1 Like

Following on my last comment. What if the Abyss isn’t a being but the actual feeling of being alone. It’s greatest fear?

1 Like

I think that could be possible, and it’s poetic - but I really want an evil Atlas.
I even have a name for it !:kissing_heart:

3 Likes