[HUB]: ETARC Census

Presumably people become members of a community because they want to. Because they find the social interaction, and the shared goals and values, attractive. Otherwise, why bother?

And, as I said earlier, “leaders”, or “councils” within the game only have power because the community chooses to give it to them.

It works just the same as real life. If you build relationships, try to help people, try to be pleasant and understanding, and if you genuinely like other people, then most communities will respond in kind.

If, on the other hand, you are destructive, negative, insulting, and rude, you will find that the community rejects you. People won’t talk to you. And if you’re going to invite that reaction, then why join a community in the first place?

So yes, you’re right. Leaders and councils within the game have no real power. They can’t physically crush those they don’t like. But that’s not the point, is it?

6 Likes

To some extent yes, people will naturally distance themselves from rude and destructive behavior…but that’s more on the network rules…people that are obviously OTT with that will usually get themselves banned by the major networks(PSN, Steam, XBL) or the games. But those aren’t so much rules implemented by the so called ruling council as much as rules they can get behind overall. Personal power here in terms of relationships and so on could in theory be used in terms of someone telling others not to interact with another player but these hubs don’t quite work like that…everyone just goes there to share and harvest benefits…for the most part people aren’t even aware of most others and to say that even 20% of a major hub would even hear of much less snap at the commands of a ruler is a stretch. For the most part there are so many people doing things at any given time that the more likely scenario is there will be lots of people breaking naming protocols and all sorts of other shenanigans to where trying to exercise any power would mostly be futile outside of enforcing the rules of the major networks(PSN, XBL, Steam).

This game is just not EVE and never will be EVE and if it ever became too much like EVE then it would probably need to find itself an entirely different audience to be honest.

1 Like

Well, as I also said earlier, it’s not perfect. We do what we can, within the constraints of the system.

With the hubs, people have tried to build something. With the ETARC hub, we have tried to build something. It may work (I hope it does), it may fail. But we built something positive. It’s for others to judge whether what we built was worthwhile. It’s got to be better to build things, than to destroy them, or even worse, not build at all.

And, you know, if it doesn’t work, then there are those of us who are dumb enough to go off and build something else. Until we find something that does work.

And we are monopolising this thread. And we’re not quite off-topic, but we’re getting close.

4 Likes

@Polyphemus I finally made it to the Hub in normal mode today. I haven’t found a final roost, but I have a beginning base just outside of the star chain. It took me long enough to get this save to the HUB! :joy:

7 Likes

Welcome to the party.

4 Likes

For the most part things work quite well in the current system…I’m just saying that the titles and impressions of power aren’t a feature the game works with. In terms of PvE and coop the hubs will work quite well I think…as sort of communal meeting areas to get with others and go out doing stuff together.

2 Likes

Yes, I totally agree. Come to the hub. Let us welcome you to the party. too.

1 Like

I’ve checked out the ETARC PC hub via portal. It was nice to visit, though I definitely hope for more community features in NEXT. Right now I’m waiting for the update to make any decisions on residency. If we get to build bases in multiple systems, I’ll very likely stake a claim in the hub. If we get to build cooperatively, I’d love to work on something together with other members of this community!

2 Likes

When it hits release on Xbox, should we have a hub near the same place? I’ve never made it to the hubs out there honestly.

1 Like

I would think so. The ETARC Hub exists on both PS4 and PC, in the same place in space. I hope to see it mirrored in the XBOX universe as well. It all depends on whether XBOX players want an ETARC Hub.

As long as we’re on the topic, are there any XBOX players interesting in helping with Hub related coordination?

2 Likes

I have another few going to be getting it, I’ll see how they feel about helping!

2 Likes

One thing I like about the hub (apart from the same place in both PS4 and PC), is the relaxed nature of the community. Others seem a little to power hungry, and as for naming conventions, the way I see it is a way of cataloging the systems, with each sub community having their own style.

I am looking to get back into NMS and I have always liked ECSD (I was around pre-CSD), and the ARG is what made me find this community.

I do however wonder how many annoying people will destroy bases - and now were off topic but I know the GHub has a defence force - is there plans for one or is it more a support your neighbour.

As an added side note: After being away for around 6 months - I cannot find anything anymore - last time I checked there was talk of an ETARC chain, can someone give me a port system address please.

4 Likes

Hi theconquerer, I’m currently in the hub on PS4 and can source a portal entry point for you if you’d like to visit be it on pc or ps4 the address should work.

Here’s a link to the original thread about discussing the formation of the hub

And this thread was made after we officially opened up the location and coordinates,

some of these entry points posted here are still open and available but just in case, if you can, bare with me a moment and I’ll post a new portal address for you to use I can guarantee nobodies living in at the moment

2 Likes

On a side note,
Have we reached any consensus on the logo for the ETARC HUB?
Also,
@Polyphemus
Did we upload data about the hub to the Hello Games survey?

2 Likes

We have a rough outline, we’d like it to resemble the ETARC logo but with the portal as centre peice, the star chain should also be represented and some people would like to include the four common glyphs that appear in etarc hub portals, sort of like an area code.

We’ve had lots of great mock ups, ideas and submissions but we’re still in the market for a final piece, I reckon once we have a few we’re happy with we might run a poll on favourites and then maybe work on a final draft of the chosen one, if needed.

6 Likes

Yes, we did. Some small discussion of it here:

4 Likes

Brilliant!
I forgot to delve deep into that thread. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I did see the various concepts in the thread there, but it looked like the discussion trailed off without reaching a conclusive end.
A poll would be perfect, so long as the final options are put up. Though I fear having too many options to choose from might lead us all to have a “Paradox of Choice” and it’ll all be inconclusive. Still, looking forward to it!

2 Likes

I’ve recently posted some “other thoughts” re LOGO design etc in the thread.

If you’ve time, your thoughts / feedback on my ideas may be useful, thank you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ooops… I accidentally voted for Playstation before seeing that there was a separate section for PC.
:scream:

2 Likes