How did you die?

There are some really deep caves to fall into…gotta be fast on that jetpack button or to time it well to brace the fall at the bottom.

2 Likes

About 10 hours into a new survival save, haven’t managed to die yet. Not entirely my achievement, though. I was on my way to my broken ship that just showed up on my HUD. It was about 500 units distant, which isn’t the world, but there was a long cliff in the way, and it had significant overhang. No way I was getting over it with the starter jetpack, so I had to go around. Cue the storm. I was frantically looking for a cave, picking up sodium on the way, but I was burning through it a lot faster than I could pick it up. No caves. No shelter. No terrain manipulator yet. I was still looking for a way out, but very much resigned to my fate. Then the storm just passed, and I had time to pick up some more sodium.

3 Likes

My first death in 1.5 was pretty dumb.
Woke up in a space station. From the excitement, I quickly jumped on my ship and landed just in the planet in front of me.
After dropping out of my ship I quickly figured out that I just landed in the middle of a toxic storm. I thought No Problemo, I got this.

Of course, I didn’t know that I needed some new ressource to reload my exosuit, and died after running around for less than 5 minutes.

Guess I am just happy lol

:sweat_smile:

9 Likes

That’s Hilarious @Aldibar :rofl:

Had a very very near death experience last night, hope that counts.

I took on a mission from a random NPC to raid a facility for plans or something. Anyway I take off and head over there, flying through a severe storm that makes trees and mountains appear right in front of you.
After sustaining a little damage I arrive at my destination and spy the green circles signalling a safe place to land. I started the landing procedure, exited the ship and immediately my wanted level increases, I try to blast the reinforced door to get inside, but my puny weapon is no match for the thick armour.
It’s then that I take a massive hit from a large beam, I look round and with a face like Nien Numb from from Return of the Jedi, I realise it came from a very angry walker, (and not the Death Star as I first thought.)
I immediately retreated and put my ship between myself and the Walker and got in, thinking I’d be safe, my ship took damage and I knew I had to get airbourne.
Taking off I narrowly dodged another beam and decided to come round an attack with my ship weapons but the storm only served to hide the Walker’s location and my ship was struck again.
Cutting my losses I blasted away and headed for the safety of space. It was then my ship alerted me to Sentinal ship being deployed to pursue me! I dived back into the atmosphere of the planet and headed for a Trading Post about 3 minutes flying time away. I landed and the tenacious Sentinels were still on my case. I waited it out, braving the storm to run the timer down and was finally safe.

Happily, and surprisingly, the quest registered as complete and successful. It felt anything but.

Moral of the story: Do NOT annoy the Sentinels!

11 Likes

Life lessons: DO NOT TOUCH THE WHISPERING EGGS EVER

9 Likes

My first death… Space walking, there was a spot on the frighter that you cant really walk on although it looks like you can and I fell through it and died in space.

My second was when i first crafted the grenades. I didn’t know they bounce by default now so i shoot a tree, it bounces back and i blew myself up. I swear I laughed so hard at myself.

11 Likes

My first death was on my current home planet where I woke up marooned and poisoned by the air. I am startled by DOZEN of animals, some quite scary looking but all very kind at least, running around me. I explored quite a bit did some of the starting missions. Now mind you this was after a long work day, I’m happily exploring, next thing I know I am woken up IRL by my cat and I find myself inside my shack, as I emerge I see the evidence of my errors. I fell asleep and left my other self to die a slow toxic death releasing my grave mark on this planet.

10 Likes

I’d like to know what ninnies complained that. Silly humans… have you not heard of Survival Mode?? NOW I have to wonder if there is an Easy Mode. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

My first death in NEXT was to the new toxic plant in caves. I spawned on a toxic planet and thought I could hide in caves from the hazard, but I just ran into a much more toxic hazard which overwhelmed my shield right away and I died.

9 Likes

Another of HG’s little jokes on us regulars… lol (It does teach a complete noob early on that you can recover your stuff from your grave, though.)

5 Likes

Shot myself for the third time. I wouldn’t mind it if it was just my foot, but I die and have to go get my stuff and rearrange my exosuit all over. I used to be able to stand at the bottom of ramp and use the laser to break down the door. It doesn’t seem to do that anymore. The Geology Cannon does after about five shots - if I’m still around to see it.

4 Likes

I was doing so good. Careful planning and not passing up resources. I began assembling a fleet and sending them out on missions. All is well, I thought. Then one of my frigates was damaged and had to be repaired. I landed on the frigate, spotted one of the damaged components at the top of a very long ladder. Up I go and happily I had the required resources to repair it. Warning to all players, be very careful going down the ladders! I fell off the ladder and died falling through space :sob: It took multiple passes of my grave to gather all my stuff (I am a hoarder and keep most everything). Lesson learned - empty your general exosuit inventory into your cargo or your ship if you think you might die while walking on a frigate. :grin:

8 Likes

That’s an excellent tip! :heart:

Should go in the
Advice, Tips, and Tricks thread!

2 Likes

While troubleshooting PS4 issues and puposely stress testing, I tried Survival Mode. Not really my thing but why not?

Discovered that the oxygen plants don’t spawn very much at all. Knowing it would be tricky for my desparate and calculated foraging I had wisely jotted a ‘shopping list’ in a notepad as a cheat sheet…and was doing ok.
I carefully walked towards the icon marking my required seal but my levels dropped with no oxygen to be seen and there simply wasn’t time.
Like anyone…I began to run looking left and right as I ran burning precious suit power.
I saw some but I was too late.

When I respawned at my exit ship spawn point I knew exactly where to aim for.
Long story short: I eventually made it off-world.

6 Likes

Take warning, dear friends and gunslingers.

Your own plasma launcher will now kill you. If the grenade explodes too near, you will get caught in the blast, and you will die.

I don’t know about PS4 or Xbox, but on PC, it’s very easy to accidentally find yourself in the wrong weapon mode. Then you think you’re calling up your personal force field - but actually you’re firing a grenade. And if it hits anything close to you… Thank you, and goodnight.

12 Likes

Yes On PS4 I’m repeatedly digging holes when I want my laser or visa versa.
At least on PS4 the grenade launcher is on the left trigger but it is easy to tap this when using the scanner on the same side.
We can warp. We can teleport. We have personal space travel vehicles. But we have yet to master a safety switch on our most dangerous weapon :grin:
Or is that what the personal force field tech is for…?. Oops, puts up magic umbrella.

5 Likes

By shooting a giant that decided to put his ankle in my line of fire while I was harvesting Raedon.

9 Likes

WARNING!

Yesterday I decided for the first time ever to join a random game using my Normal Mode. I’ve no idea if modes can mix together. But anyway I flew down to meet two other players on a distant planet. It was a beautiful planet too. No less than two minutes later I had landed on a picturesque shoreline beside a base. As I was taking a photo the ‘base owner’ approached and killed me. Nice.

Except it wasn’t. On respawning I escaped immediately without looking back, to a neighbouring planet. I then realised ALL 48 slots of my inventory were wiped clean! HORROR!

Okay I thought I will re-load my earlier save to avoid spawning on the planet of that killer, unprepared. But. There. Were. No. Save. Slots. None. Scary. I’d only had an auto save landing on the planet. I decided enough was enough I would return to Normal solo play.

HORROR AGAIN! My inventory was empty. Okay. I would have to search for my grave. NIGHTMARE!

DISASTER! I couldn’t return to the random game. Hoping maybe there may have been only a few connections I frantically hit button after button hoping to rejoin the same system. DESPAIR! There are nearly 90 thousand Steam players online…NINETY THOUSAND!!! And I meet the only mean statistic LOL.

So everything is lost. Gone. Kaput. Zilch. I really was dead. Really and utterly totally lost.

Some film quotes spring to mind:

“The film ‘Star Wallies’ -
The Fool: I’ve been waiting for you, JohnnyCloud. We meet again at last. The circle is now complete. When I killed you I was but the fool. Now, I am even more foolish!
JC: Only a master of silly fools, Fool!
The Fool: Your powers are weak, old man.
JC: I am not old. You cannot win, Fool. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.
Fool: You should not have come back.
JC: You’re right. Why did I? Ah yes to quote Liam Neeson at you.”

The film ‘Taken for a Fool’
JC: “I don’t know who you are. [ Oh but I do Liam ] I don’t know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don’t have Nanites. But what I do have are a very particular set of multi-tools, tools I have acquired over very long hours. Tools that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you [play nicely] that’ll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don’t, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will poke you.”

The ‘Return of JohnnyCloud’
“I’ll never turn to the dark side. You’ve failed, [Insignificant Fool]. I am a [Galactic Explorer], like my father before me”

‘The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy’ - No Man’s Sky Multiplayer Instruction entry:
“But the instructions were on display…”
“On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”
“That’s the display department.”
“With a flashlight.”
“Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”
“So had the stairs.”
“But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”
“Yes,” said JohnnyCloud, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked storage chest stuck in an Abandoned Building with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Multi-player Fool.”

I am currently pasting WANTED POSTERS all over the universe on a mostly harmless crusade for justice. #NoMansJustice #NoMansWally… The question is what exactly is it I want? LOL… Is my destiny to be turned to the Darkside by a fool?.. I feel compelled to use the Fool’s portal address in roman numerals to find out… MUHahahahahahaHA!

Year 2019. Galactic Con.
The arch nemesis anti-hero, lovable rogue, mercenary, general scallywag and dubious naturalist with a suspicious ecology degree JohnnyCloud, will appear in ‘EPISODE DCCXXVI:CXIX:MMMCLXI: CCXL…’ in a theatre near you, probably, if he can find your planet. He’s coming for you. There will be no escape from silliness.

I’ll be a while trudging back across several galaxies and over a million light years, so if anyone feels like waving an angry towel at an unsuspecting player base, please use the address above. until I get there to reclaim my grave and thank you.

…TO BE CONTINUED…
MUHahahahahahaHA! *cough

10 Likes

This gives me a knot in my stomach. :`(

5 Likes