How did you die?

My first death was from an altercation with Sentinels who too umbrage at my curiosity about those bumpy pin balls scattered in a clumps of 8 to 10 over the landscape:

I thought to myself.“You guys wait until I get my scatterblaster!”

Alas, the scatterblaster ain’t what it used to be:

One week later …

:sigh: Wasn’t sure if the Sentinels had taken me down faster than I could get off what I had imagined would take me the three shots to end their tyranny. But perhaps they had some help from the pretty pink balls I was standing in the middle of, whose bumps suddenly turned into long sharp spikes, similar to those of Terra’s Sea Urchins --only six feet long!.

This time, I reloaded.

Then after spending a couple of delightful days roaming on foot on a hot planet that didn’t peel the skin off my bones, even during infrequent torrential storms, I was caught in the open by a predator.

I thought, "Ahah! No prickly plants to aid you my pet! And (after photographing the beast for posterity and profit) I whipped out my scatterblaster:

When I ran back to get my stuff from my corpse, it almost got me again. I had two pixels of health left when it finally went down and I harvested its livers for future gustatory temptations. Whew.

Needless to say, I thoroughly overestimated the damage my scatterblaster could do. Time to seek out some update enhancements. Or maybe try the Blaze Javelin.

Because:

How about you? Got any good “How I Died…” stories?

11 Likes

It’s almost worth the pains of death just for the quotes. :smile:
And we still have not answered the mystery of why the sentinels are so protective of certain things.

4 Likes

My first and only death so far in new playthrough was my own damn fault for being a show off.

I was streaming and had a bit of an audience asking to see what walkers were like now that ships are bigger.

Many sentinels, quads and walkers later I got cocky and distracted and hit the dirt from a jetpack lunge, took a huge hit from the impact then took a walker beam straight to the travelley bits.

Will share the footage here when I come across it in my edits :slight_smile:

10 Likes

That would be unscrewing the inscrutable for sure!

4 Likes

Was already one of my three health points down, took a fall and got my shields bashed by it. Not thinking much about it I merrily ran through the landscape mining from the hip, when bam a clappy closed around me. With my shields down, that meant down to one health point now.

Ok, take a deep breath, wait for shields to recharge, find a nice place in some large caves, drop a base computer, go spelunking around, when suddenly there’s a bunch of predator markers around me. But not to worry, they’re savely outside the cave. But hey, I don’t know them yet, so let’s get up there and scan them!
Dug myself out, emerging right in the middle of a bunch of them like the cornucopia in the hungergames, realised that I still didn’t have a shield upgrade, and after two bites realised that oh, right, I was down to one hit point, thanks for reminding me…

At least I got a terry pratchet quote…

8 Likes

:gun: 1 :foot:

7 Likes

Too bad you didn’t get a screen gab of that one. pTerry’s quotes are always awesome.

Sometimes I think if some of us really had to survie in these situations… --we wouldn’t. lol

Hmm… that looks like Iconese for “Shot myself in the foot (w/ a grenade --a BIG grenade!)”.

Hooray for ignoble ends! :joy:

6 Likes

…the reason you never install those in permadeath…:grin:

7 Likes

I run like hell away from death. Have not had it happen yet!

6 Likes

I’ve so far managed to not get dead …admittedly most of my time since BEYOND has been spent in well equipped existing saves :muscle: :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :dagger:

Almost got munched by some monstrosities on a dead world. They are somewhat tougher than before. Unless you like reading death quotes, don’t stir them up on a fresh game :rabbit2:

5 Likes

Too late! >.>

Didn’t die though I only got four egg thingies. Too much work! Hahah

4 Likes

I died when I first started vr- too busy spinning around and looking at my hands and the planet I was on. Flat out ignored the suit warning- ugly screenshot incoming:

11 Likes

Well, it finally happened. It is always the way my first death happens. Weapons Research mission. I knew the Vy’Keen was trouble the moment I laid eyes on him.
At least I died at home, in tranquil surroundings.

I really cannot fight Walkers…this is the only mission and the only part of NMS that I do not like.

I will have all the quotes before long. :angry:

You better know it! You stinkin’…bringin’ all this trouble on me! :laughing:

10 Likes

Oh no!
(LOL)

:sympathy: :heart:

5 Likes

With walkers I try to move continually sideways to keep the leg armour in target and use a combo of plasma launcher and boltcaster…but mostly boltcaster. Make sure you have plenty of ammo and reload in spare moments rather than once it runs dry. Good shielding is a must.
I ignore the drones once a walker is on the scene but I always give any quads the plasma treatment.
I’ve found that you can’t really hide or jetpack efficiently in combat with a walker so I just try to take them down as quickly as possible.
If they throw a tantrum and start stomping and launching plasma then I melee jetpack out of range.
Now I read this… I wonder why I even go near them :roll_eyes: …do I really need a Conflict Scanner that much? :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

I shoot off the leg armor, then run up under them and shoot straight up. :laughing: Unconventional. But I believe in taking advantage of my small stature.
The problem for me with this mission is it is early in the game and my shielding etc…not so good yet.
I also find that even bushes can block my shots and reloading the plasma launcher is difficult when trying to melee/boost and jet out of the line of fire.
I always seem to finally succeed. :sweat:

6 Likes

With walkers, I stand my ground until the big laser comes. Then, I usually do a “Boba Fett” style jetpack-while-firing move to dodge the big beam.

I usually handle the little guys before the walker, by losing the walker around the other side of a large object. The regular sentinels drones can heal other sentinels.

6 Likes

We need to pack hunt walkers until we all have a wlakder brain or two. lol

4 Likes

Not the with the way I fire plasma rounds. :sparkler: :dizzy_face:

4 Likes

Point taken. :scream:

3 Likes