Games and Game-Related old and new

I think I broke the game twice by getting the machinery I was operating into such a bind, it was stuck. :rofl: So save often and make use of the bountiful 2 Save Slots they give you. Really enjoyed it and now I am exhausted since I have played almost non-stop for 2 days…The puzzles are really great and some I thought I would lose my mind over. How can I describe them? I really enjoyed them. Once again, Cyan has taken me so completely away to another place and so wrapped me in a story, I forgot about everything else. I will play it again. Once I have recovered. :sleeping_bed:
That’s me in the list. :face_with_monocle:

If you consider playing, I strongly advise against looking at anything that gives away the plot.

9 Likes

Firmament

Bought and finished in a very long day, although a lot of time was wasted on some issues. I am rather forgiving when it comes to Cyan, but I honestly hope they fix up some of those major issues real quick. Issues aside, I mostly enjoyed this game. Loved the art style and amazing world they created, as you can expect.

I did however feel less immersed as the world did not speak to me as much as some of the other titles I have played. Sure there was a story being narrated throughout (although it bugged out on me for a big part of the game), the game just lacked somewhat in trying to tell me a story with the environment itself. The few items found were often repeats as well, which did not help much.

The puzzles were neat, and mostly obvious, but in a few cases troublesome and even frustrating. I enjoy a smart puzzle, but I dislike a rushed idea, especially where you may wonder if QA even tested mechanics. The crane, although cool, is a mess waiting to happen. The steam piping under the ice towards the end, was really inventive and interesting, but deserved a much better solution with the tools provided.

I wasted a few hours regardless of the 2 save slots, which did not do good to the overall experience. Still enjoyed it, being out in a mysterious world of Cyan awe, but unlike some of their other titles, I will likely not play this one again. 7/10 (assuming bug fixes)

PS: Oh, let me add that I played this on PC without VR (prefer not to think what that experience must be like to be honest)

6 Likes

They patched it last night. The voice bugged out on me as well. I agree with the not as immersive assessment but was so enough for me but no, not like Myst. I rate it as well as Obduction.
The crane was one of the mechanics I broke along with the Mixer in the acid. I locked both of them up and was unable to move them. Thankfully, I had a second save as backup.
The ending has a nice twist but I would have liked to seen the ending carried out a bit farther since some time is invested in feeling something for the others involved…don’t want to give away the story…
I give it an 8/10. I will play it again on Steam Deck just because…
More varied props would have been really nice and more interactions with those props. Too many repeats, I agree…and what is up with the anatomy stuff anyway? Maybe to build a feeling of unease? Which it did.

5 Likes

I am loving the Shrines! Last night I was near naked with only a stick, a pole and a rusty shield and facing a group of constructs armed with ice and lightning arrows…all floating on water…I used Ultrahand and threw them into the drink. :joy: It was a ‘blast’

5 Likes

This is great too! :joy:

Jedi Survivor lovin the cantina feel

Best character in the game. Skoova. Someone wrote nearly a whole book full of dialog for this guy. And it is delivered so well. :pirate_flag:

25 minutes into the credits for Jedi…
Amazing game and story. A few bugs. Crashed on PS5 3 times. Always at the cantina. Possibly because it changes as the story progresses…but excellent game.

5 Likes

Just came across this post on LinkedIn

Mobile game, uses ChatGPT AI for interactive responses, and includes AR apparently.

The game author company webpage is here with links to D/L on either iOS or Android

Screenshot of LinkedIn post

2 Likes

::Gets out the ten-foot pole:: ::Nopes it; throws it away:: :joy:

3 Likes

The guy who makes Space Engineers, Marek Rosa, is working on a small new game where all characters have the language skills of chat-gpt, plus a memory of what the player talked about with them, plus each character has been prompted with a personality (what their goals are and under which conditions they’ll help you). And the story is held together by an AI director. They can also choose to act (within the range of what RPG characters can do). So if you annoy the NPCs they’ll remember that and badmouth you. :wink:

6 Likes

I think it’ll be a while before AI can get to Disco Elysium levels. Any time Kim called me out on my Hypocrisy I thought, crap, how the hell did they write so well for every damn scenario and outcome?

5 Likes

The current bottleneck is that they would need to licence something like (a subset? of) chatgpt and package it with the game. Currently you can’t have the game send every user’s requests to chatgpt every second. But longterm that’s a solvable problem.

2 Likes

That’s not how that works. What you run on-premise is the chatGPT API, not the AI itself. You can do a lot with that, but you need internet connection. Running the entire AI on-premise is… well, it depends on your premises. Do you happen to have a multi-rack of high-end servers lying around? :thinking:

An alternative, and possibly more controllable solution for the confined premises of a game, is to train your own model for just that purpose. You don’t need a license for that (the neural net itself is open source and almost negligible while untrained). But that’s a lot of work, but it can be done. If you do a good job it will generate decent text, but the interactability will be limited due to the comparatively small model you’re probably going to use.

Here’s a tutorial for training it from scratch, if anybody’s interested in: Building Your Own Mini ChatGPT. Take a dive into NLP by creating your… | by My Manifestation Guru | MLearning.ai | Medium
Don’t know how good it is, haven’t tried it. Don’t have the time currently.

3 Likes

Open-source alternatives to ChatGPT have been developed and are often extremely lightweight without losing much of the functionality. A fairly large game studio could run their own algorithm on servers for cheap

3 Likes

Fear and Hunger is a brutal survival horror with rpg style combat. This is me beating one of the serveral final battles to get one of the many endings the game has:

Here is the game’s Steam page; you won’t be able to view it unless you log in an allow games with gore, nudity and lots of other nasty things that can happen in the game (my video is censored):

4 Likes
5 Likes

The absolute moral panic around Ai and Art just has me laughing.

Reminds me of “oh VHS is going to ruin cinema” etc etc. I don’t see competition, I see a new tool with which to create and organically bounce ideas off of to create something entirely new.

It’s almost like automatic writing with an extra spin. Loose stream of consioucness spat in to an AI who then throws something back at you which itself inspires something within you. I think its great and the art one can create from it utilising it in purposeful and tactful ways like Cyan have is nothing short of brilliant.

When I hear artists worry about this taking their jobs I think they’ve let capital ruin their interpretation of what art is and they seem to think we have achieved computer magic, the AI is actually very simple in its execution and not actually “smart” as we understand it… Thats just my opinion of course and it’s proven to be very unpopular ’ ^ _ ^

It’d be like musicians just completely rejecting generative music when that came into being.

5 Likes

The AI art is great for making something weird you don’t expect, but trying to get it to make an image of something specific, especially something that doesn’t exist in real life, is very frustrating. You’re better off drawing it yourself or comissioning a human artist to draw something unique and specific. The AI is never going to generate the image you have in your head.

5 Likes

So sad but totally relatable. I played Socom for about a year and never spoke or let anyone know I was a girl. Once someone figured it out, they made me a special target, especially after I shot them up or blew them up with grenades.

4 Likes

The only people I know who own switches are women and my friend Darren XD My life experience has shown that Nintendo fans, particularly of the hand held systems, are women.

If this shocks and angers some, they probably don’t spend much time around people :pensive:

Not that I don’t want a switch. I really do. I want that link’s awakening remake. But now that I know girls want it too? Ew, gross, cooties. XD

I actually can’t imagine you playing socom, you’ve always been a atlas sim pacifist if I recall.

I remember my brother getting Socom for the ps2 and just being amazed that the ai could understand my voice commands. I don’t know if we ever got it working online, those ps2 modems were very rare in Europe. I borrowed one from a friend to play metal gear solid 3 online

5 Likes

I still have mine, fully loaded with FF11

Socom was a phase. I passed thru it. But I won’t lie. I enjoy a good shooter. But, a good one is hard to find these days. By good, I mean story. Reason to shoot. I hate aimless shoot for the sake of games. I loved the Uncharted series. And RDR2

6 Likes

I finally broke down and bought one a week a go…from china…low serial number…for…purely scientific reasons.

4 Likes