Fourth Race Mugshots

You got any ugly mugs to post? They are quite varied.

I saw one with whiskers today too, should’ve got a pic.

9 Likes
oh my

hands

salute

6 Likes

Where do you see those guys? Haven’t encountered one yet.

1 Like

9 Likes

Mine was in a random camp I visited.

1 Like
in Gek freighter

I’ve dated worse?

6 Likes
Freighter crew guy

4 Likes

well-hello, beautiful

No Man's Sky_20170811144658

2 Likes

It’s the Forest Spirit ;0; …sorta

9 Likes

sorta yeah, unlike the first two with their Christmas jumpers :rofl:

2 Likes

Princess Mononoké! What a great movie!

@toddumptious

5 Likes

Whiskers

7 Likes

Those hands are fascinating.

The first one I came across was in a Vy’keen freighter, and I couldn’t talk to them. The second was on a space station, but I was starting a certain quest, and the game was still in a buggy state so I didn’t want to jinx it. But as time went on, I encountered four or five. Humanoids, goat-simians, insectoids… there are evidently quite a few races, male and female. I’m still wondering about the appearance of the Exotic alien ships, and as yet to appear Diplomats. I still think there is more to their appearance in the universe than we suspect. Anyhow, some mugshots.

Conversation might have been slightly spoilerific.

This guy kind of creeped me out…

A rare conversation on a Vy’keen freighter. Early on in 1.3, the crew would chat with each other. Now they simply mirror each other, at least on my game. It’s possible the chat data was too much for some systems.

She’s rather cute.

6 Likes

9 Likes

I’m not sure what happened with that at Team Mercury. I think with such divergent species as insectoids, feloids and mechanoids - some do resemble moths - it’s possible that the fourth “race” are actually a cosmopolitan culture, a collection of races. And that wouldn’t hurt things any.

3 Likes

Without wishing to become too boring, and keeping it brief, our ideas of “race” are necessarily based on human experience. And current human ideas of “race” are largely the result of 19th century ignorance and misunderstandings, but their roots certainly go back to a time before the Romans.

Nowadays, the idea of a “race” being defined by inheritance or genetics has been thoroughly debunked. It is a much more valid argument to define “race” in terms of shared culture and common ideas.

So for me, the idea that a disparate group, who came together because of a common goal, and shared interest, might be termed a “race” is much more valid than other definitions of the term.

5 Likes

I would think that divisions among species lines would matter, along with the concept of a race being a lifeform which continues its existence through some sort of progeny. For living things, this means childbirth, though the Korvax are included among the races as they manufacture their progeny. But for myself and many others, we consider mechanical computerized entities to be “people beings” but not races. I roll with it though because that’s the No Man’s Sky way. :nerd_face:

Edit: oh wait, you mean like with the human race and our different “races,” or ethnic groups. Well, when I began high school I stopped thinking of these groups as different races. Unfortunately a lot of people don’t see things this way, that we’re one people, especially with certain political and religious groups stirring up tensions among us.

But those beings in the images above are definitely different races, distinctly different species from each other. The Vy’keen aside, it seems that the beings in this universe have grown quite comfortable in their own relationships with each other.

3 Likes

Hey its the third head from the concept art that was released during WT :slight_smile:

2 Likes

3 Likes

I can’t wait for some fanatic to cosplay this stuff at a convention, or better yet, the orbs.
(I could probably make a Knowledge Stone outfit out of a painted trashcan)

3 Likes