ETARC/ Hub Discussion started July 17, 2018

Well, I wasn’t suggesting any more polls. We have had enough of that. I was suggesting putting a link in the main topic to threads set up for the different Hubs or groups. If, and that is If, a group or Hub would like to have a thread for ppl to visit for possible membership or participation, then that would be an easy way for newcomers to find it.

1 Like

I definitely plan to have a Spacing Guild embassy in the ETARC Hub, especially now that we can have multiple bases. The SG hub location will likely be a secret, but we plan to trade with other hubs if player trading is a thing.

6 Likes

This is true. However, there are probably a lot more ppl than you know who are not involved in any other form of social media. I have a twitter account only for the ARG. I will most likely abandon it once it is over. My only link to the various hubs is what I hear when I am here.
Of course, if you would like to keep your hubs private then naturally, you would not want a link here. It is just a suggestion for those who might be looking for new players/members.

I was more referring to Comm Balls placed at ‘Foreign’ Embassies. I could, for example, visit @MacForADay’s Embassy within the ETARC Hub and leave a Comm ball message for TSG.

I’m sure Mac would pass on the message via screenshot or however he communicates with his guildmates, it may even prompt a visit from more TSG members to view the Comm Balls and leave their own at Edison.

As long as griefing bases is not something you can do at all, you could even set up a whole system dedicated to Embassies from different Hubs. We could assign a colour to be used as a beacon when they create their base so we can easily identify and visit them.

2 Likes

So, in that case, you could write an Intro for the SG stating its purpose etc…and provide a way for them to contact you if they would like to become a member. The link to your thread or contact info could be in the ETARC Intro.
Like I said, just an idea to let ppl know what is available.

Yes. I imagine that will happen a lot. With the Intro to the ETARC Hub for both PC and PS4 being written, I just thought it would be nice to allow others to do the same if they choose to do so.
I will leave it at this. If any other groups present here would like an Intro to their group posted here, write up your Intro and let us know you would like a link to it posted along with the ETARC Hub link which will be in the ETARC History, hopefully soon…still waiting on higher ups to see what will happen when NEXT hits.

1 Like

Ok, we won’t be done changing guild policies and establising a new hub until the end of August or later.

1 Like

That is fine. We can always add the link in later. This gives you time to write a nice Intro to your group explaining what is about etc…You are in charge of your group and what you write. Just let us know when you are ready. No rush.

I’ve been reading the discussions relating to the hub and similar topics and I can make a MINDMAP distilling all the facets and consensus that have been agreed upon by the group as a whole.

This is NOT something set in stone but a WIP that will be updated as new consensuses are reached.
I can post it in a couple of hours.
@sheralmyst
I hope this will act as a starting point to future discussions and aid in future proposals and writing related to the hub.
I’ve distilled the major points by @Polyphemus, @Mad-Hatter, etc and I’ll continue to refine it in a regular fashion, so it’ll be easier for future discussions.
Also someone link me to the introduction by @Oshoryu

1 Like

I will let the writers decide if they want to post what they have written beforehand or not. There is nothing controversial in it. It is just an explanation on the history of the forum. We are actually in a holding pattern right now. Waiting to hear from higher ups about possible new headers that are specifically for NEXT.
As for major decisions, I am not sure there really are any left. My proposal here was to see if any other groups wanted an intro thread linked to the Intro written by @Oshoryu. Any links can be added later if they desire it.
So hold onto your idea. We are playing it by ear and like I said, in a holding pattern atm.
@Polyphemus is writing the Intro for the ETARC Hub but his PC is on the fritz, terrible timing with NEXT just days away. :scream:
If any other ideas are submitted here and you would like to keep track of them, that is perfectly fine. You could even start a thread if you want but, I think it would be good to hang in one spot for the moment.
There are also some others who have not yet decided if they want to post a link to their groups…lot of things in the air right now.
Hold onto your idea, we will see where things stand.

2 Likes

Damn shame to hear about @Polyphemus PC. How he gets to fix it in time.

I agree with the holding pattern decision. I’m just distilling what I can so that we can have a clear image about it. Also, opening doors to future discussions on how the new gameplay can affect how we play and how our sense of cooperation holds.
I’ll pause it for the now, or even open a new topic about it later.

2 Likes

Yes. We are hoping to incorporate a thread with NEXT that will give tips and tricks etc…also one like the help a fellow traveller…it will be really nice…just don’t have any answers right now.
No doubt, once we see how the new game works, there will be tons of changes in how we set up Hubs etc…so, like I said, hold onto the idea. You may be placed in charge of that…careful with your ideas…:wink:

2 Likes

I’ll gladly take that responsibility :joy:.
It would be an honour to aid the future of the Hub we all hold dear to!

2 Likes

Am a bit late to the logo discussion (seems to be a theme of mine :sweat_smile: )

First: Emily agreed to pay me for my design services. The long ass design process was fine with me- all billable hours!
Second: Anyone seen Emily?

:upside_down_face:

Ok [puts on serious hat]. This will come as no surprise to anyone, but I love making logos. It’s one of my favorite things to do, and is what I do for a living. When the call came up for a logo design for my favorite sim?! Oh man, so happy!

Another thing that I absolutely love - this forum, and the amazing moderator and leadership team that makes this place an oasis. You all do an outstanding, and often thankless job managing the chaos. I know well that is no small task. Thank you!

I am so very sorry if I did or said anything to contribute to your stress. Sincerely. That was never intended.
Did I mention I like making logos? Yeah, I may have gotten a bit overzealous, and y’all had to manage my crazy creative output while simultaneously trying to bring the project to a long overdue conclusion.

I can tell you from over a decade of experience that collaborative design projects are HARD to manage. But you guys did great! For serious. A ton of creative output, group refinement of concepts, reasoned and unemotional discussion of goals- I mean damn guys, well done!

So what’s NEXT?
Well that’s up to us now isn’t it (as it always was).
If this was like any other branding job, my next steps would be to complete the logo set: small scale, one color, watermark, icon (logo without words). So… I have already started doing this, because like I mentioned above, I have this logo design problem I am seeking professional help for. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

With all the threads for this topic, I’m not sure where I should post the rest of the set… here?
Just lemme know, and I’ll kindly oblige.

This forum has been incredibly kind to this space-crazed designer, and I won’t soon forget it.
Cheers fellow Travelers!

PS: I’m ~20 jumps from the center of Euclid, and after poking at the haze for a few, my plan is to head for the ETARC hub! We’ll all have to see how the update shakes down, but I plan to make my new home in the hub- can’t wait!!

7 Likes

Thank you for all your hard work. Just relieved we have a winning design.
If you would like to start a thread for all your other logos that would be fine. Logo away!
There are some who would like to cooy, print and use the logos already made. If you would like to pull them all into a thread and get permission from other creators, then ppl will have easy access to all of them. I wouldn’t mind printing them all out myself as a keepsake.
Just make sure it is another thread. We don’t want ppl making any more polls or votes. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

So here’s me posting a rough MINDMAP of the ETARC HUB IMAGINARIUM.
Some Pointers:

1. This is a very Early WIP that will be kept updating as discussions and consensuses grow. (a la Hello Games :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)
  2. The information posted on the Polity columns are my proposal for the HUB, based on the General Consensus of the discussions so far, and on those that did not meet any proper conclusion.
  3. All members are more than welcome to have your own inputs on the columns discussed and on those that you think should be there.
  4. Other than the proposal on the Polity Column, my work here is to distill the essence of the conversations and record them. This will be done as regularly as possible.

Looking forward to this!! And lots of Love!

5 Likes

@ashusurus While I am reluctant to post essentially a draft version, once it is refined to a standard I am happy with I will be happy to PM you a copy if you so wish.

To give you a flavour, it essentially welcomes a new user to the forum, talks about the origins of the forum within WT and points them to useful threads. It also goes on to explain our Hub project and why things are named the way they are etc. There will also be details on how to join the hub and a small FAQ regarding both the Hub and the Forum.

I had in mind a new X-Box user who doesn’t know anything regarding WT and has just picked up NMS, spent a few hours on it and wants to talk about it, but it should provide a good catch up to anyone, especially those that arrived ‘late’ to the WT Party.

5 Likes

I don’t mind what logo you use. But once a hub is established, give me the portal address and I’ll bring tea and biscuits… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Many thanks to all who expressed concerns regarding the health of my PC.

It turns out the problem was due to a faulty RAM memory module. Once I had identified the trouble, and removed the offending memory, everything was hunky dory again (it was a bit more complicated than that, but I won’t burden you with the details).

So I’m back, firing on all cylinders. It will take me a couple of hours to get up to speed with the stuff I’ve missed.

So it looks like I won’t miss the release of NEXT - which make me very happy.

15 Likes

I’d love to see the draft @Oshoryu, but no need to hurry. When it reaches the standard that you’re expecting, then send me a copy. Would love to add that to the Imaginarium or just link to it after it’s final form is Posted.
:sunglasses:

3 Likes