Elizabeth Leighton video message #5

which reminds me I was wondering with the HAM and radio station connection if a Numbers station might pop up in some form; maybe with the Atlas/echo/superlumina twist… Numbers station - Wikipedia

hey I was just typing as you were typing LOL

1 Like

I will add an entry on NUmbers stations to the knowledge center in a bit, just for fun

1 Like

Awesome! I’m looking forward to reading it.

Here it is started - still need to add some more - and also if anyone else has references - https://forums.etarc.org/t/numbers-station/1048

1 Like

and one last article for now on some “science” behind some forms of radio static :wink: http://www.khou.com/news/local/are-ufos-interrupting-your-radio-and-tv/428537270

2 Likes

I am now thinking about a wide variety of movies with some theme of time travel. How is a message different from a person travelling in time and could the corruption/distortion be a possible side-effect? There are plenty of theories about temporal paradoxes. It hurts my poor brain, trying to make sense of all this.

2 Likes

I think corruption of things you send through time is a thing if you alter these things with the message itself. Let’s do a mindgame:

Imagine you send a picture of a green apple and the phrase “make green apples pink” back in time to the creator of the universe. Let us assume he does what you want. So from the beginning of the universe all apples were pink. But still there is a message travelling through time with a picture of a green apple. What would happen to the picture? :anguished:

1 Like

The threat of time travel is that paradoxes are almost unavoidable.

If you send a message back in time, and your past self sees the message and this causes you to NOT send the message as you did before, then you don’t send the message and your past self doesn’t receive it, and you DO end up sending the message after all. This creates an endless loop of causality, a paradox.

This makes sending a message back in time for any functional purpose useless. For instance, if you send a message back in time to warn the world that the president is going to be assassinated, and this helps them prevent the assassination, then there is no reason to send the message back in time. No message means the assassination still occurs. An endless loop is created again.

The only way to avoid this paradox would be to send the identical message back in time, even though the thing it is intended to prevent has already been prevented (the assassination or whatever), but changing the past increases the likelihood that this precaution would not be taken and a paradox will still occur.

TL;DR Time Travel/Time Communication is a very bad idea and will almost always have catastrohpic results.

1 Like

But there is still the “Back to the Future” timeline theory, which avoids these Paradoxons: Every change in Time creates a new timeline which exists parallel to the existing. And this Theory leads us to: Multiverse!

1 Like

Unless you have that concept of Schrodinger’s cat going where all potentials exist at all times and we “move” from potential to potential as different actions have different effects - like the websites taking 24 hours to Initialize. Or perhaps what we are calling time travel is not travelling through the dimension of time but rather through the dimension of simulation or a multiverse (aka multiverses arise when an action in the dimension of time occurs)

I was typing as you typed that - freaky, second time today that happened :slight_smile:

1 Like

In another timeline you were first :wink:

2 Likes

Speaking of time travel in relation to NMS, I was thinking about something. Before release there apparently was a version of the game with a lot of features which were never implemented. So what if HG goes back in time, to that version of the game, to implement these features/ideas in the current version (update/DLC), which is the future we are looking for? Basically back to the past, to fix the future, but would corrupt the game as is. Therefor very likely an inevitable wipe/reset will be required.

Just thinking out loud …

There is one way around this. If you consider the multiverse branching theory, where each action will cause reality to split, and all actions will actually occur in another multiverse, then it is possible that a message sent back in time will cause another split, only this time not a split of futures, but a split of pasts. One where nothing has happened yet up until the point where you sent the message, and 1 where the message was received. At the moment you send that message, the 2 split pasts trade place. This may cause you to vanish from the current, but that’s not a problem for the continuity of time, since you were (and are still) in the other split past.
Thought technically this means that sending a message back will always equal sending a message to another (newly created) multiverse, meaning you can never change your own true past.

How can one Future have multiple Pasts? When do they connect? Isn’t this paradox?

Technically, the future only has 1 past, and you can see it like this

Past 1 → message → nothing happened (actually caused a second multiverse to come into existence, but you won’t notice that from this timeline).

Past 2 (altered by message) → changed future

The line with “past 2” only came into existence once the message was sent, but it is also affected by the “past 1” line, so it’s a split from that past. If one considers splitting multiverse like this, then all options are possible, and most paradoxes would be resolved since time in this way is not linear, it’s just making split multiverses, so if you send a message back to kill yourself, even if that gets done in the new multiverse, the message originated from the other one, where nothing happened, and thus you still send your message.

Hey Kyle,
Your “RECAP” videos are the best WT synthesis/summary out there. Keep up the good work!

4 Likes

I agree. His videos are perfect objective reports on each phase with visuals and explanation that make it easy to understand.

2 Likes

Star trek the next generation had some fun episodes about temporal events.

1 Like