Citizen Scientists Division - Needs Collaborative User-designed Logo!

etsy shop, here we come… :wink:

1 Like

I found these REAL WORLD logos which are real scientific bodies! Spooky! :slight_smile:

Here’s their site: https://ecsa.citizen-science.net/

4 Likes

As you can see, anyone can be a Citizen Scientist. This is why I opt to keep the ETARC part of the name because it sets us apart from others CS groups. It does not have to say ETARC it could just be ECSD.

4 Likes

I’d like to Second the Proposition to use “ECSD” instead of “ETARC”.

Further suggest “ECSD” stand for “Edison” or “Edison’s” CSD. :wink:

[Edit]

<-(Click!) :: Extra bit for Newcomers (newer than moi!)

The Atlas CSD was “originally” known as ETARC - Edison Township Amateur Radio Club / Community… it was a “cover” for what would become the Atlas CSD, and the early members / adopters have (naturally) become used to (& fond of?) calling this forum “ETARC”, despite the rename.

In order to “retain” a flavour of the original naming, as well as grab an opportunity to “differentiate” ourselves (this forum’s community) from other websites’ CSD groups, the “E” from “ETARC” is a great prefix (imho) ===>> “ECSD”

We can either use it as it was, just “Edison”,
or make the 4 words sound more sensible together by adding a possessive apostrophetic S, a la “Edison’s”.

This last, I put to the “ETARC” / Atlas CSD Community at large.
[/edit]

It will forever be ETARC, to me anyways :smiley:

4 Likes

Not to me…I was here for the whole ETARC bit but it just seems bizarre…it wasn’t around for that long or even an intergral part of the ARG for that matter…it was mainly just used to release a couple of videos by Emily back when we didn’t know she was loop 16. I don’t really feel attachment to a fictional, awkwardly named, radio station. Waking Titan and the CSD yeah…those carry a lot more meaning.

I am with you ETARC in the name is history. ECSD is a fine compromise, but I don’t want to lose the ETARC. I really don’t see it as Edison township amateur radio club or just forum, it is a bizarre made up word/place for chill friends and chill home in the NMS universe.

@Argent-Star Thank you for instigating, keep up the good work. I’ll watch for polls, love the energy.

@johnnycloud looks great. :+1:

6 Likes

It’s not the radio station (although that was the origin). It’s the forum.

For the whole of the period up to the release of 1.3, this was the ETARC forum. It’s what we all came to know it as.

I find it difficult to think of it as anything else. I suspect there are others who feel the same way.

7 Likes

My shortcut on my desktop still says ETARC Community.

7 Likes

@DevilinPixy - I like the general approach. It reduces in size well, too. I agree with whoever commented on stars getting a bit overwhelmingly large toward the top, though. I do like having Citizen Science Division as well as the former ETARC (“roots”). Making the planets a bit more pronounced in color might add spice (sorry … channeling Dune). The extension of the rays, though attractive, effectively makes the logo more of an oval. I kind of like the circle concept.

4 Likes

Yup I still type etarc in my browser bar and the old link still comes up and I click that to get here :slight_smile:

For me the E in ECSD stands for ETARC l, and I’ve been naming planets with ECSD at the end so long I’ve made a meme about it I’ve been meaning to post involving faded letter keys…

It needs to be posted with the accompanying image I had in mind but here’s a taste of what Ive done with the simple capabilities of photoshop mobile app

5 Likes

Could someone keep a poor swede in the loop here?

Are these draft logos for this forum (as in Etarc) or for the in-game hub in NMS, i.e. the one named ECSD?

3 Likes

For the Hub in game. :sunglasses: There was supposed to be a logo ages ago but it never happened. Some do not want the ETARC part in the name but, this is where we met and this is where people get directions to the Hub so most of us would like ETARC to remain.

4 Likes

As @sheralmyst said. We were ETARC, we became CSD (strictly speaking, we’re Atlas CSD). Many of us wanted to preserve the link with ETARC, so ECSD was a compromise.

ECSD was accepted as the naming convention for systems / planets within the ETARC hub.

CSD includes lots of people using other forums, particularly Reddit and Discord, but this is the official CSD forum.

The logo was intended for members of this forum. As such, it has been variously a CSD logo, an ECSD logo, and an ETARC logo. If you go back through the thread, you can find examples of all three.

The hub is something else. It’s not directly linked to the logo competition, although it has experienced similar confusion regarding its name.

When the hub was first proposed, the forum was only newly re-named CSD. People were still very much thinking in terms of ETARC. The name just stuck.

13 Likes

This is the Atlas-65 forum [see edit 2 posts down](formerly Etarc back when Waking Titan 1 was active) Early members still call it Etarc and it still comes up that way on a browser heading. (Well mine anyway)
Many members jokingly refer to ourselves as “Etarcians” since this community forum is how many of us met.
We have an in game hub area, around a string of stars known as the Etarc Hub. Our capital system is called Etarcia ECSD and is located midway up the central star chain our hub centres around.
We use the suffix “ECSD”, when naming systems in our hub and when exploring (except in other hubs of course). Its simply a uniquely recognisable combination of Etarc and CSD.
Just like on this forum, everyone plays nice. :smile:

The logo is simply for our hub and is hopefully going to embody various features and details we as a community have all found relevant from our hub experience.

8 Likes

I’ve always seen it as different branches of the CSD, as @Polyphemus pointed out, there’s the Discord CSD, there’s the Reddit CSD, (although there is a lot of overlap here) and there’s ETARC CSD.

There’s probably more and membership is not restricted to just one group. (I’m personally active on Reddit and occasionally post on Discord too.) A lot of the people here arrived wanting a pleasant place to just talk about the game, a refuge away from the toxicity of the rest of the internet. A place where screenshots could be shared and they could talk about their beloved game without fear of ridiculous questions from trolls and we have forged our own identity by doing so.

We are respectful of our roots and have emerged into a close-knit community so questioning why ETARC should be part of our identity going forward would be like asking an American, ‘Do we really need to keep the capital named as Washington DC? I mean who is this Washington fella anyway?’

We have a history and we are proud of it, hence the reason we wish to incorporate this into our logo.

9 Likes

Actually I should state that we here are ‘oficially’ the…20180711_220206
but that the majority of us still call ourselves Etarc. The Atlas-65 bit is just the URL title.

4 Likes

Actually it’s the entire forum name…it wasn’t just a URL change…there’s still the option to get ETARC theme for those who really want it but that’s buried in the settings somewhere, certainly more than just a URL change.

1 Like

So…here is officially the Atlas Citizen Scientist Division forum & the home of Etarc and all Etarcians.

2 Likes

I smell a civil war brewing :joy:

3 Likes