Citizen Scientists Division - Needs Collaborative User-designed Logo!

There’s no effective “bump” (for posts), in here, is there?
Well then, let me just “echo” (bump) this post:

… re “rebooting” this LOGO thread. :smiley: :+1: (Cheers, @Mad-Hatter!)

== Some of my own LOGO THOUGHTS ==

LOGO ELEMENTS

++ I’ve really liked the logo versions with the Portal (and Star-Chain),

++ … and agree that 4 glyphs (only) will be more “legible” in smaller versions than having a full 16 set.
(Plus, why “give away” the full address to all and sundry? Let people JOIN ETARC (ATLAS CSD) and “earn” it; or take the 4 and go hunting…) :stuck_out_tongue:

++ I’m not keen on retaining a “light bulb” in the new logo; the only “light bulb moments” we might have, as explorers, might be new / different ways to build bases to be more efficient / productive / protective, or perhaps in some more better harmony with its surroundings… Otherwise, we “learn” from Language Stones, Monoliths, ATLAS interfaces, alien races, and scanned Flora & Fauna.

++ I really do like the idea of finding a good way to include the Firefly star-chain.
Browncoats can get on board more easily, too. :wink:

++ Whether or not a “star-chain” is used (eg up the central gap in a Portal), I’d suggest it would be NICE to include a ship / space craft (shape) of some kind, upper centre, to allude to the fact that having one at all is of CRITICAL IMPORTANCE and moreso a NECESSITY for us as Explorers…! :open_mouth:

++ I kinda wish the small ATLAS “A” curly-logo could be incorporated, somehow… https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.etarc.org/forums/themes/atlas/logo-small.png
Perhaps “re-colour” it, if appropriate, using final-decided ETARC / CSD [ECSD] logo colours…??

… but, perhaps realistically, given the existing design suggestions, there may already be “too many elements” to be crowding in one more . . . ?
Unless it might be “implied” with an outline behind the Portal or some such??

On "ETARC" as "Explorer Tactical And Research Community" (etc)

Cute. :slight_smile: I note from personal experience that it’s most often Americans - for whatever reason - who like to create Acronyms!! :wink:
(Who created this acronym, this time? “Center” vs “Centre” is a possible clue…)

If ETARC is more a “peace-time” SCIENCE (and Exploration) community, even though “tactical” is not necessarily ‘military’ in meaning, the association is inescapable.
The word “tactical”, I find, is … inappropriate.

Technically speaking – and I’m sure many of you could acknowledge this – the word “and” is typically very rarely a formal part of any GOOD / proper acronym; more correctly, the above would only be “ETRC”…! :open_mouth:

Of course I understand it was “whatever we could come up with at short notice, which worked, and we just ran with it”, or whatever the consensus was, then. :sunglasses:
But I’d suggest it’s NOT a good idea to “go forward” with this acronym (ETARC), with the new logo etc.

I’m also a bit surprised that “Astronomy” wasn’t worked-in, for the “A”, somehow; it would fit Explorers to be “studying the (local) stars”, celestial objects, and regional space…

I’m not so smart, but what about something along the lines of
“Exploration, Translation, and Astronomical Research Centre”
Exploration - covers intergalactic, interstellar, interplanetary, and intercontinental;
Translation - covers Gek, Korvax, Vy’keen, ATLAS, etc etc etc
Astro’ / Research - well, duh. :wink:
Centre - British (/French) spelling (from Roman ‘centrum’), since Hello Games is a British company, making NMS a “Made in Britain” product, first:wink:
“Centre” (Center) - covers the fact it’s a HUB for Exploration and all the Learning gained as a result.

. . . . . but I would suggest moving forward with CSD, e.g. ECSD.

On "ETARC" vs "ECSD"

Since ETARC is (sort-of / mostly) “irrelevant” now that a “cover” (of amateur radio) is no longer needed, though it’s become common practise to still refer to the community / forum as “ETARC”, I think – especially with the birthing of a New LOGO AND the coming of the NEXT update – it may be seen as this group’s Growth & Maturity to “leave behind” any larger focus on “ETARC” and embrace / adopt “CSD” more, going forward.

Of course it’s Important to hark back to its origins, so I agree with [insert original poster @-link]'s suggestion to call it “ECSD” as in the “ETARC Citizen Science Division”, to differentiate it from other CSDs (such as Discord, Reddit, etc), as well as to honour its humbler beginnings. :slight_smile: :+1:

However, whilst its existing history hasn’t troubled me (as I took the time to read several threads the first couple days I was here – thanks for noticing, @sheralmyst!), trying to create a “new acronym” for “ETARC” is likely to only confuse newer joiners here to the ATLAS CSD who may not get around to reading about the Edison Township Amateur Radio Club … thingy … cover … which originated in this ARG.
Especially since the welcoming header graphic is this:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.etarc.org/forums/themes/atlas/logo.png

Retaining “ETARC” as a “significant name” (ie on logos, flags, sigs, whatever) seems – forgive the choice of word – a bit ‘immature’, as if to stubbornly hold on to a security blanket whilst change (to “Atlas CSD”) has already come (and gone).

Sure, let’s CONTINUE to refer to the community “colloquially” / informally as “ETARC”, but let’s help newcomers AVOID CONFUSION by asserting the “CSD” element in the design of the new logo.

I’d suggest “ECSD” is a very mature suggestion and a great compromise.

It’s also only 4 letters, in keeping with NEXT, update (1.)FOUR, the use of 4 glyphs as an “area code”, the 4 types & 4 classes of ship / weapon, etc…

Finally, may I suggest:
“EDISON CITIZEN SCIENCE DIVISION”, or
“EDISON’S CITIZEN SCIENCE DIVISION”

COLOURS - in general

I REALLY like some of the colour / contrast examples offered by @johnnycloud in Post #144 above.

As a result, I’d like to suggest, if possible, trying for a UNITED NATIONS light-blue / sky-blue background colour. I’m sure we can further translate a Circular Logo onto a Rectangular Flag in much the same way as the UN logo → flag fits / works. :smiley:

If “NO Man’s Sky” is as black (& cold) as space, how about our peacefully-explored & discovered (once safely landed) sky is _comfortably & familiarly (light) blue, with the implicit “warmth” of a local star brightening it…?

Every (Peaceful) Man’s Sky” can be Sky Blue, welcoming, and inclusive. :heart:

COLOURS - elements

@Clemm’s BLACK (“transparent”?!) PORTAL w/ WHITE outline / edge
BOLD YELLOW STARS (for ‘Firefly’, if including the Star Chain)?
WHITE GLYPHS would work on SkyBlue. (Or pale VDU green w/ white “glow”)

… and if we say the glyphs are:
Dragonfly (it’s alien, but ‘dragonfly’ will do, for ease)
Ship / Shuttle (the most generic / all-rounder type)
Canary-like (for the decidedly finch-shaped “bird” glyph)
Entryway / Exit (glyph has no curves; it’s 100% not ‘natural’; Station-related?)
… then what do we have? Basic reverse-order “cipher” DSCE ==> ECSD…! :stuck_out_tongue:

IF going with Border Text, definitely BLACK TEXT.
Again, suggest “ETARC” is NOT mentioned / included explicitly.
Instead, suggested compromise for using “ECSD” acronym:

“EDISON['S(?)] CITIZEN SCIENCE DIVISION”

FONT SIZE should optimally be CONSTANT across all 4(!) words.
“Edison” (or “Edison’s”) top & centre.
Preferably sized (width-stretched?) so CSD words fill nearly half the circumference.
Edison name would be a “progression” from “amateur radio” to “citizen science” :wink:

Also suggest using TWIN LINES a la @johnnycloud’s examples, but WHITE.
No “overall border” circle; implicit by Text & TwinLines; see also UN Flag. :sunglasses:

Getting the REAL NMS Font

If you want the “real” NMS FONT, you can kinda wrangle it outta the WT website; using the Google Chrome “Inspect Element” etc interface, I managed to “find” and save the NMS font package, then TRANSLATE it via free online site into TTF. :slight_smile:
(Wish I could just “share a file” via this forum…)

Hope that’s not “too much”…
The last time I posted, it was a few posts back-to-back, and the forum (AI) was practically scolding me for it. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

1 Like