Wishes for Update 1.3, 1.4 and beyond

This is a feedback thread.

@Kadayi
yep, thought I was doing just that.

1 Like

I’m just going to suggest a small (and maybe logical) feature.

Now that freighters can warp, it would make a lot of sense if you could install an economy scanner in them as well, since you’d most likely use your freighter for trading no? Might as well see where you’re going.

4 Likes

I like it…I imagine something like a automated repositioning of the landing struts to act as fins.

I think we miss out on a lot of excellent exploration because of how slow and time limited our characters are in water.

My thoughts for good ways for improving this are:

1. A new exosuit tech with upgrades similar to the jetpack,
  2. The introduction of power suits (or small mechs) that you can temporarily equip/ ride that may include combat, aquatic, flight, or exploration as functional types.
  3. A new type of exocraft.
3 Likes

@LordMarkov Agreed. Your thoughts are well grounded (or submerged lol) and any one of 1-3 would be great (all 3 would be greatest!) - Subnautica springs to mind…

6 Likes

Wow…now that’s a fish! Good discovery.

I know how you feel. It seems like every planet is trying to kill you now. I can handle the extreme weather, but it seems like every pleasant weather planet I find is infested with sentinals. Frustrating.

1 Like

The problem is that different players have different styles and they conflict in this regard. I’ve seen gamers criticise a player’s video because they “rushed around” like it was a death race. Others complain about people “wandering around” looking like a tourist instead of quickly gathering resources or killing creatures.

This is likely a matter of playing style where Hello Games cannot please everyone.

5 Likes

While I like exploring and would prefer to explore the daylights out of each planet, Sean Murray did say in pre-release interviews that they deliberately planned planet features (for example single-biomes) and exploration capabilities to discourage planet-squatting and encourage people to get off-planet. Even when they added base-building, they did it in a way that forced players to go to other star systems to get all the NPCs, etc. So I’m not sure that this is a realistic wish.

2 Likes

Yet others complain that No Man’s Sky is not a true starship flight simulator with more controls. Maybe adding an “auto-pilot” toggle would fill your desire and yet allow more players to be happy. Myself, I don’t want to have to learn more realistic starship flight controls.

2 Likes

I suspect that the built-in delays like this are intentional. No Man’s Sky was envisioned as more of a “walkabout” of universe size. Sean Murray grew up in the remote Australian Outback, after all. These actions that are not instantaneous don’t bother me, as I like to just relax and chill with the game vs. rushing around all tensed up.

1 Like

I’m more like you – liking more specific game info from the start. But Sean and Grant are not that type. Sean lovingly recalls a very old game on a basic computer using tape. He had to figure out what keys did what – no manual. He considered that experience neat. Part of the original plan was that players would share their in-game discoveries, including tips on doing things.

The “classes” of weapons does give a clue as to capability ranking , but only if you check out what others are finding, for example. As a result, I have bookmarked Steam, Reddit, and the No Man’s Sky Wiki now. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well I used to copy my games with a double-taped cassette player, back in the day… But those games came with instruction books. You sure Sean wanted to replicate being a software-pirate in the eighties?

Btw… You can add as many quotes from different people in a single post as you want, no need for an individual post to answer each… It is said to go against all established netiquette! :stuck_out_tongue: Just highlight the part you want from each and a “quote” option will show, you can add as many as you want.

My wishes…

1. I would love a modDK (development kit) with all the things HG doesn’t worry too much tweaking, so dedicated content creators don’t spend 90% of their precious free time blindly back-engineering…

2. For new “official” content I’d love free-roaming npc’s, going about their business inside stations and buildings… Even nicer to find some adventurous ones collecting or scanning stuff in the wild.

3. A “fog of war” galactic map. Like @Oshoryu proposed for planets, but on a galactic level. The tesseract would be obvious, but what an improvement for exploration and general know-about!

4. Ship and multitool customization. Color and decals would be the bare minimum… Many have expanded on this.

5. Creatures revamped. So many things could be improved in this area is hard to give a list… From looks to behavior, I hope things change… Aggressive air creatures, Mortal worms (flying and sea, adding terrestrial), Epic-sized creatures and tiny ones, Amphibious creatures (diplos that bath, but crocodile-like, also), Varied behaviors for feeding/hunting, Mating rituals, and us Taming, Breeding, Crossing… Pollinating! I could go on all day…

I really think it’s by far the weakest point on the game’s core, when landscape is by far more interesting than creatures… something is not right.

8 Likes

Trading menu - a max button to select all of that item to purchase

5 Likes
  • I would like to see dates of discoveries again. I don’t see it on the galactic map. The scanner may have this, now,
  • have all adjacent planters charge form one planter.
  • actually crashing on a planet, being shot down, losing control of ship with chance to recover, chance of dying or surviving the crash.
  • animal behavior, herding/migrating, horn animal fighting, swarms, flocks of smaller flying animals snaking a crossed the landscape.
  • space whales… planet size space jellyfish that prey on ships. very rare
  • giant snake, worms, or graboids.
  • clouds
  • carnivores Plants
  • npc walking around,
  • multi-able multi-tool and working gun racks. (that’s on list) would love having one for mining and one for combat.
  • way to travel from galaxy to galaxy. Perhaps a Freighter can do this, with a galaxy address system. And perhaps you can only travel upstream, or galaxies you have been too. Don’t know how that would work story-wise (the atlas just says no?)
  • remote play cameras, are own probes/drone that send us info on our home planet, maybe help map it.
  • personal drone/animal, to act as flashlight/discover
  • transport animals and plants to seed your planet, chance of failure. (two planets are not similar enough)
  • Terra-forming baron planets, you must beat back the sentinels, huge grind and cost. co-op mission.
  • running water and flowing lava
  • lighting
  • Flag maker.

OK i’ll stop there.

12 Likes

Keep going when you’re on a roll - all the above are cool suggestions :sunglasses:

1 Like

More stuff to do with freighters!

Finding derelict freighters floating in space; dock, get out and explore. Some of these could be guarded by sentinels, pirates, or other factions. Lots of mission possibilities here.

A hotkey to toggle the icons/HUD on and off. Pressing left on the D-pad already turns the HUD on, why not turn it off too? Especially for those waypoint markers that clutter up the screen. How many times have you flown to the space station, but it’s completely obscured by the icon for the space station?

I’d be pretty happy if we could easily turn those icons on and off with a quick button press. This game is so pretty to look at, but those icons are constantly cluttering the view!

3 Likes

Nothing worse than backseat gamers XD

Regarding multiple biomes, I still agree with seans original reasoning and even at that theres enough variety in each biome, for example sometimes on snowy or icy planets you can find mountainy areas blanketed with thick forestry or vast open thundra like areas. I feel like this variety has been increased since 1.3 or at least the way planets generate now it’s much more noticable.

2 Likes

Well, we have ecosystems and geology that differ from the rest of the planet in water patches, oceans and caves.
I would like to see the cave generator enhanced to form river beds with flora and fauna different from the non-river zones.
Also, instead of having trees and tree clusters spread across the entire surface in the same regular density, I’d like to see larger high tree density areas (forests) with different ambience aswell as geology, flora and fauna be dependent on height levels:
Snowcaps, different rock types and terrain textures on mountain tops.
Also: Icicles instead of stalagmites, stalagtites and mushroom rocks in caves on icy planets.

4 Likes

increase the build limits on PS4

6 Likes