Why have the more popular No Man's Sky Youtubers not received Atlas Passes?

While the idea of ‘being special’ and possibly deserving ‘better’ for the community role some of us fulfil sounds great, I personally don’t feel the need to be treated any different. I actually doubt it would be a good idea to have special passes made for some of us, as this may cause a divide or jealousy in our community. I certainly do not expect this to be the case and would be more than happy to receive the same pass as everyone else. Hey, I might not even get one, as we all know there is a 10k limit, so some of us will not receive one.

All of you showing your appreciation for what I do here on the forum, is more than enough for me personally. We are all in this together, some more visible than others, but we have all been participating none the less, one way or another. In my opinion we are all special and should be treated equally. I bet A&S has a good reason for two designations yet to arrive. World-wide mail takes time, we don’t know how they organised distribution, we will just have to wait and see …

10 Likes

Yeah I gotta give it up for CobraTV.

He’s the reason I even know about NMS, and MZK makes great video too, OrbitTv is the shit as well.

But man, CobraTV for 4 years has been talking about NMS and it’s really funny to see him actually play th3 game, it’s a bit surreal tbh as well.

Hopefully they’ll all get one eventually, maybe I will get one, even tho I’m just some schmuck : D

5 Likes

Not to spin conspiracies further…

But, I also noticed that besides @MacForADay and @Oshoryu , many of the Leaders and Regulars here on the forums have also not received an Atlas Pass V4 (or at least have not shared it with the community if they did).

Obviously, the part of the world in which a person resides is a factor, but it does seem strange (or perhaps 2-5 out of 27 is statistically close?)

1 Like

Estimates of the number of eligible ARG players vary widely - from 250,000 down to 40,000. Since we know that there are 10,000 passes available, that means any individual’s chance of getting one is somewhere between 1 in 20 and 1 in 4.

If the passes are truly randomly distributed (as they appear to be), then 5 out of 27 seems reasonable.

And no, I haven’t got one yet either. But I’m not going to lose any sleep over it.

6 Likes

I am convinced that we have not seen a full release of the passes yet. I find it impossible that only 1600 passes were reported if all 10,000 were released. And the complete absence of the PB-16 and PT-16 proves the point further. They have a plan, we just have to wait and see.

2 Likes

Also, I wonder if there is any connection to when an individual actually sent in their details. Would there be a first-in-best-dressed preference so the active ARGers get a better chance of recieving a physical pass as opposed to the latecomers who filled in a form 3 days later, riding on the wake of those who came before?

1 Like

It’s certainly possible. It would, of course, mean that they were penalising people who have jobs, children, family commitments, health problems etc. Those who can’t dedicate themselves solely to an ARG, but who have to fit it into whatever spare time they can find.

3 Likes

I was thinking more along way after the event ie 3 days, as opposed to instantly or later that same day.
But you have a good point…With so many hopefuls it is only fair that it is a random selection.

2 Likes

As @Xion4012 said, we’ll have to wait and see. It’s only after we’ve had the email telling us all the passes have been sent out that we’ll know. And even then we’ll probably need to wait a week for the mail to get sorted out.

2 Likes

They specifically stated that the Atlas Pass version 4 would be distributed RANDOMLY. If every YouTuber that covered NMS received an Atlas Pass v4 that would grossly undermine the “Random” distribution.

But let’s entertain that scenario. If ever YouTuber that covered NMS received an Atlas Pass, it would open the door for others that feel deserving or entitled to receiving an Atlas Pass. We have Community Leaders, Galactic Hub contributors, fan websites, forum moderators, modders, etc… that could build the same claim of special entitlement.

While these YouTubers have contributed to building NMS content on YouTube, let’s not forget that the majority of their followers were initially looking for NMS content, NOT the YouTuber themselves. A lot of their/your YouTuber followers won’t be getting Atlas Passes either.

The only fair way to distribute these passes is to use a random distribution model. The way I see it HG has their hands tied. YouTubers are going to have to pull up their socks and suck it up like thousands of NMS players that won’t be receiving passes either.

4 Likes

I can do that … I’m after Emily, not are you?

:beer:

1 Like

Not totally. I remember Anashel saying at the end of the ARG that HG wanted to send them randomly but A&S answered that a part of the active CSD Members will have a pass because they deserve it.

About the more popular youtubers, i’m sure they will have something special. Remember the ones who received a box with the cassettes. They had poster, a ship, socks… i can’t believe they will be forgotten during this phase.

3 Likes

@GregR As has been stated by A&S, certain individuals in the community would be marked to definitely receive one, while the rest would be random. I can’t find the quote right now, in work, but has been reposted on here many times.

2 Likes

Same here sir

… Yup
:beer:

Well that does undermine everything if that’s what they’re doing. I can’t say I’m surprised that it got hijacked. Typically, in-crowd/outsider tiered communities don’t do very well. I guess we will see how it plays out.

5 Likes

Or maybe Daddy HG said to Mammy HG “Don’t give them any more, you’ll only spoil 'em” rergarding the youtubers.

3 Likes

TY @Xion4012, i wasn’t able to find it anymore :wink:

@toddumptious it’s a possibility yes :slight_smile: or naughty Son HG ran away with all the gear

2 Likes

I had to dig through a thousand posts to find it :sweat_smile: Plus a bit more I thought looked important to the topic.

Atlas Pass Data

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/6sdriw/poststream_informal_qa_from_yesterday/

Project Plutchik

4 Likes