Tips & Tricks

You know there were solar panels, right?

3 Likes

yes that is also BS lol
ya need permanent energy
Not like northern California, shutting off power , to restore the power can take up to 5 days
sure it is due to the winds but it is BS also

2 Likes

At least we haven’t gotten ‘smart meters’ in NMS. I am getting mine in December. Like I have time to micro-manage my power usage. I already replaced all my windows, added more insulation, only wash and dry early in the mornings, changed all my light bulbs, keep my AC at 76 F (which is not cool when humidity is over 70%) and the electric company still sends threatening letters to me about how much more power I use than my neighbors (most of whom are dead or 80+ and can’t afford electricity because they are on Social Security) I would love solar panels but the cost of having them wired in (yikes!) Not sure what more I can do…
So as long as NMS does not start sending us electric bills each month, I am okay with the power grid in-game.
(Next update, Mailbox to place at your base so Sentinel drones can deliver the mail) :thinking:

6 Likes

Just plug a battery in between, voila, permanent energy.

4 Likes

To anyone who needs help with Solar Arrays:

“Permanent” Energy: attach (wire) one battery for every two or three solar panels. Batteries release energy at night; Solar panels release energy during daylight plus fill up the batteries at the same time.

Attach (wire) batteries to each other > attach solar panels to each other > attach solar panel array to battery array > attach from battery or Solar panel to the thing you need powered.

Check the time of day left on any Solar Panel in the array.

Check power usage/time left to depletion on any battery.in the array.

Adjust as needed.

3 Likes

LOL, please please show me a battery that never runs out!!!

hahahahahaha

1 Like

Can’t, since they do. My approach has been to provide for a lot more reserve power to get me through long nights. It will probably depend on your power usage and the length of your days and nights. By the way, solar panels apparently don’t need access to the sun. Neither do batteries. Mine are buried.

4 Likes

That bad on the surface? lol

4 Likes

Couldn’t arrange them on the roof where they’d look pretty so built a cellar and put them there. Moved my base. As a result, the cellar was filled in. Used the manipulator to remove most of the dirt but couldn’t remove some traces and the manipulator seems to affect dirt through concrete walls causing voids outside. Finally removed the planet edits and used a wall to close off the stairs down. Out of sight, out of mind - but still with plenty of power.

3 Likes

when using the scanner to locate hot spots, best to be using headphones
When it states nothing is in range, rotate slowly left or right till you hear a beep
then go back in the opposite direction
do this several times to locate the mid point of the scan.
head in that direction
test again
that will lead you to a hot spot.

5 Likes

Right over there, the one that got solar panels connected to it :wink:

2 Likes

TIP:
When doing ‘Tame Wild Creatures’ type quests, there is a quick way if pressed for time, (provided you have the right bait pre-prepared).
:warning: Bit Cheaty…

After feeding critters, launch your ship & immediately land again. The tamed creatures will once again be wild & can be re-tamed, drastically reducing hunting about looking for more critters.

:sunglasses:

6 Likes

TIP:
When doing ‘Exterminate Monstrosity’ type quests:
:warning: Bit Cheaty

If you are a bit vulnerable, not particularly good at shooting battles or are simply a bit nervous about getting dead in an early-hours permadeath game; use the exocraft equipped with a mining laser to fry those nasties.
Better than getting eaten or blowing yourself up fumbling the Plasma Launcher.

7 Likes

TIP:
For Legacy Saves with Carbon Planters.
(Not available except for Legacy Saves)

Carbon Planters work automatically & replenish with each load/warp; (So yes…teleporting to your own base repeatedly allows for intensive carbon collection). They do not require building structures to be placed. A max number carbon farm yeilds 6100 per harvest.
Useful if extensively building with timber or making bulk warp cells for cross-galactic voyages.

Edit: for clarity.

5 Likes

(For some reason I couldn’t select your actual tip to use as a quote) but,

I’m curious. Is this quicker than gathering from them and waiting a minute, gathering again, and then feeding them again which takes about a minute total for each feeding?

eg: feed>gather>wait 20-30 secs>gather>feed again. Each feeding counts as a tame for each animal fed.

4 Likes

Scare them with your weapon

5 Likes

Too lazy to have to chase them down again. But I will keep that in mind, thanks! :grin:

3 Likes

I would like to know how ya have exocraft in the early-hours of a game?

2 Likes

…by about half a minute each reset.

Focus on unlocking it using Salvage Tech ASAP.

5 Likes

I should probably mention that these couple of speed-it-up tips have come from my daily routine of getting up an hour early each day & doing the community missions, (on 3 different saves), as fast as possible, prior to starting my regular hectic day.

Some missions, (like getting a minerals), are time consuming so if I can blast through QS missions, even if it’s just by saving a few minutes, then hopefully I have time to reset my frigates.

Of course this isn’t my prefered cruise around, enjoy the game play style but rather a daily commitment towards the community tiers & accumulating QS.

4 Likes