They're Coming ARG (Fortnite)

Apparently HG sent a box with merch to Twitch streamer Bruce Cooper. Don’t know if it means anything but I thought I would report it.

9 Likes

Judging by the message, it’s twitch itself that doesn’t allow the embedding.

2 Likes

I blurred it as a spoiler, now it’s a link you can follow to his twitch channel. The past livestream might still be up so you can see what he got.

1 Like

I was able to get screenshots of Bruce Cooper’s livestream where he opened the merch from HG. I also had a friend who participated in Waking Titan get a postcard with a strange code on it; don’t know if it’s NMS related, but here’s the video about it all:

9 Likes

@BoomstickJoe tells me that the numbers on the postcard are a phone number to a location in Roswell, New Mexico, and calling it gives a message that “sounds creepy”. Obviously, this is the kind of thing ARGs do a lot, but Waking Titan did point us to Area 51 at one point…

The phone number is 1-575-291-7617

8 Likes

I posted a video with the audio from the phone call. I did buy a NMS T-shirt from iam8bit.com at one point (some people who received the cards ordered from there so it may be a common thread) . Also, some of the others that received it were participating in WakingTitan like me. But this is still up in the air.

There is a photo of the card, and a screenshot of the visualized audio. I can post the 24bit 48khz wav file if there is interest. You can see that there is a repeating signal in the higher frequencies at the top of the visualized image which shows there is data encoded in the audio, but I haven’t been able to decipher it. It repeats 3 times, but the last repeat got interrupted (cell phones, ugh). I assumed it was some sort of satellite data signal, but the SDR (software defined radio) software I use wasn’t able to decode it (wxtoimg.exe).

10 Likes

I got a card today. Looking online it seems that there are 6 versions of the card. If you plot the numbers at the bottom it makes a fairly good hexagon. Interestingly no one on the dozen forums and videos that I visited mentioned NMS or WT (Except @MacForADay and @BoomstickJoe above of course). Only two mentioned ARGs. Most think that this is an Iam8bit promotion and a few think that it is Coldplay. Several people got more than one card. There are also some posters in this series that showed up in L.A. and London with a different phone number in the UK. Edit (can you edit before you actually post :thinking:) Just read that the message on the phone changed ‘this morning (May 24).’

The Roswell NM phone number and message sure puts it in our neighborhood. The UK number looks to be Salisbury… Stonehenge? E3 is around the corner, this could be anybody, but it is good to dream.

8 Likes

To disagree with something you said elsewhere Joe, the voice in the recording very clearly says “There’s something weird going on”.

Searching online, a LOT of people are getting these postcards, too much in fact. It makes me think it’s not HG because it’s a bit too big to be an indie company. Obviously, an ARG company is doing it, but many people getting them are not at all in the NMS community. It could be a viral marketing strat to get new players for NMS, but I don’t know.

5 Likes

I think my issue with the audio is due to bad cellular reception. I hear “there’s something” and “going on” but whats in the middle was inaudiable. Again thats most likely due to poor reception.

5 Likes

As much as we’d all love to get another ARG, I don’t believe this to be related with NMS or Hello Games for that matter, Just too broad with finds totally unrelated to No Man’s Sky. Hello Games is not even using the Iam8bit store anymore. I did find some links with discussion to keep informed.

The above post has other links included that may be of interest.

Might be an idea to keep an eye on Game Detectives as their discord has some active discussion about it. Not seen any discussion in the larger ARG communities just yet.

Note:
If discussion picks up and appears to be unrelated to No Man’s Sky, it may best fit it’s own topic.

7 Likes

Please don’t move it until we have confirmation Devilin

3 Likes

No worries, I’ll leave it up for now.

Also feel free to check the Discord that was created
(expired)
see new invite here:

4 Likes

In this video, I discuss the evidence for and against the “They’re Coming” Postcards being No Man’s Sky related.

4 Likes

It won’t let me join the discord server, how can I get a valid invite?

2 Likes

Try this one instead:

4 Likes

its these guys isn’t it?

3 Likes

From one of the leaders on the They’re Coming discord server:

HELLO taps microphone Is this thing on? Yes, everyone hello it’s me IDontBeatGames – WE KNOW, OKAY, WE KNOW. We know that VGMWax tweeted out Saturn Ascends, IN FACT, he was in this Discord Server. He doesn’t seem to be the person behind this marketing stunt but seems to know something . On top of this, he literally offered one single statement about the situation and then literally bounced from the server: “Confirming or denying anything would ruin the rabbit chase no? Follow the holes.” Stop. bringing. up. VGMWax’s. Tweet. Thank you.

2 Likes

All they have is two of the postcards that a lot of people got together in pairs. They likely got them in the mail and tweeted about it, there is no confirmation that they’re involved.

2 Likes

One thing about that first card you showed that boomstick (?) received that piques my interest, are the six orbs on it, with the stylized globe with them. Unless I’m misremembering, a star system in No Man’s Sky can have up to six planets in it.

Honestly, if it has anything to do with a videogame music bunch, those cards seem completely random. If it has to do with No Man’s Sky, that sort of conundrum looks to be par for the course. And if that audio file has any code embedded in the audio, no one has managed to crack it yet.

By the way, I know that I’ve been out of action for quite a while, and it has to do with life and death and and family unpleasantness, not some bug thing. But I’m working back to my old involvement. On that note, are there any artists around that work for cheap?? I know it sounds chintzy of me, but currently I’m living way below the poverty line. Oy, life. :no_mouth:

4 Likes

I don’t really have much good to say about some real life crazieness, so I wont yet. My PS4 has been collecting dust for the past month, but I’m ready to play again. The timing of this could not have been better.

1 Like