The... Abyss! New update coming

I called it!

20 Likes

Wow, that looks SO early 80ies, I might be in love with just that image :smile:

So… From what I gathered, the Abyss is connected to the oceans. I guess we’ll need that teased submarine to explore a bit of new story.

13 Likes

So lovin’ it. We have had so much speculation about the Abyss and I requested submarines in the survey so I am liking this idea. More story! More story! Can’t wait to see it. :+1:

10 Likes

Can’t wait. Need some deep, scary creatures and crazy(ier) terrain!

10 Likes

I have specifically noted a couple of 95% ocean planets and kept them in reserve for a special base. This might be just that occassion.
Sound very intetesting.

7 Likes

It’s not like there’s massive parallels, but of course the first thing I ever think about when hearing “abyss” is this:

Because it’s a kick-ass movie and one of the very few subnautic science fiction movies in existence.
And, you know, the vibe I’m getting from that teaser image is somewhat familiar… :slight_smile:

12 Likes

My main base is on a planet with a huge ocean filled with underwater caverns…bring on the Krakken! :grin:

6 Likes

We drank the water…

8 Likes

But I filtered it with triple reverse osmosis…:crazy_face:

5 Likes

But I mixed mine with coffee…?

6 Likes

OOOOOOOH
I have no words.
Too excited.

In completely unrelated news, I’m relocating my base to a scorched planet.

5 Likes

What? Scared of the water? :chicken: :smile:

6 Likes

I hope we get a new underwater Sentinel type.

3 Likes

Mine’s on a desert planet. Suddenly that decision feels… counterproductive.

5 Likes

So this discussion becomes relevant now The Abyss - Plot or Easter Egg? (Possible Major Spoilers)

8 Likes

I fear for the more Lovecraftian possibilities this event might entail. It is Halloween season, afterall…

“Sometimes I believe that this less material life is our truer life, and that our vain presence on the terraqueous globe is itself the secondary or merely virtual phenomenon.”

-Beyond the Wall of Sleep

9 Likes

“We’ve called it The Abyss, because it focuses on some of the eerier elements of No Man’s Sky, in keeping with the theme of this season.”

Hello Games Promo Blurb.

7 Likes

From: Beyond Good and Evil: Prelude to a Philosophy of the Future (1886)

7 Likes

I’ve been waiting for this ever since I first set foot into an abandoned building. I have not been able to contain my anticipation since the pathfinder update and the further allusions to some sort of cosmic horror in the technicians quest line.

With every update I expected some clarification on the matter and now here we are, just over two years later and it’s getting its very own update. This also confirms my suspicions that Sean has been the person sneaking into my room and reading my personal diary.

8 Likes

I’m super excited! It sounds like the update that will make the (sorry) slightly bland NEXT more esoteric and interesting. I really loved Atlas Rises because it deepened the lore of the simulation, and widened our interactions with NPCs. I don’t know that I think The Abyss will match it, that’s probably too optimistic, but at least 3 things make me super hopeful:

1 - Clear allusions to water, darkness, and depth. Revamped underwater? Sub?
2 - The brazen use of “Abyss” in the title means HG must at least open the envelope on “the abyss” lore a bit, they cannot release this without some kind of follow-up in it.
3 - The central mention of “eerie”; this has to at least start to address the “weirder, more alien” flora/fauna, possibly introduce new monsters? “Corrupted” (zombie) fauna/Sentinels? Evil biomes?

Also at the same time feeling a bit scared because at least pts 1 + 3 are ones I have directly shouted about for a long time. I just hope the rest of you all agree it would be interesting additions … :blush:

7 Likes