The Abyss - Plot or Easter Egg? (Possible Major Spoilers)

I think when most people say Cthulu they just use it as a catch all phrase for Lovecraftian Horror or Cosmic Horror in general. Which there are many heavy allusions to such things as Great and Old Ones existing somewhere within the NMS universe. It’s only a matter of time :slight_smile: The end of 1.2’s story and the ARG just really made it seem like it would surface during 1.3… But then again the WAKING TITAN arg has yet to be completed so the cosmic gargantuan still slumbers.

3 Likes

I thought the same thing. Very 19th century idea of the future.
Plus if I remember correctly, underwater was stressed more heavily than it is now in the prerelease material.
A lot of the Travelers (though not all) look vaguely aquatic as well.

5 Likes

Underwater Abandoned Building…I should have listened to my instincts and stayed out of the -kzzztk-

3 Likes

I don’t think that Cthulu (or this kind od “Big Vilain” will be a part of the game. During the ARG we had a “sleeping Titan” as Cthulu is supposed to be. Later we discovered Loop16/Emily was dreaming ( “In his house at R’lyeh dead C’thulhu waits dreaming.”[) and these “dreams” are the simulations where IT can change/manipulate the “reality”. Some think that Atlas is a god, C’thulhu has his cultists.
Some similarities then but i believe we have to wait and see what’s next, we don’t have all the story.

1 Like

To be fair I myself only ever said I was ‘down with the Cthulu references’ which was just my way of nodding to the whole lovecraft mythos of Cthulu, Deep Ones, Great Old Ones and Outer Gods along with the incomprehensible possibilities that may manifest within our perception of this so called simulation… Is Emily a rogue Ai? Perhaps ‘she’ aims to roleplay as Nyarlathotep?.. I merely speculate.

2 Likes

All of that aside, from all the lore I have been reading and things travelers are saying, it does feel like there may be something else out there. Who or what? And why? I do love a good mystery. :laughing:

1 Like

A virus, perhaps?
Maybe one made by the Atlas corporation?

4 Likes

Anoher thing to keep in mind. A&S have created the Black Watchman ARG and the Steam description say:
“Become a Secret Agent and investigate paranormal activities in this dark Lovecraftian universe”
http://store.steampowered.com/app/349220/The_Black_Watchmen/

1 Like

7 Likes

This traveller clearly trusted the water, had a little drink and now he’s suffering the consequences of explosive diahrea brought on from a waterborn parasite.

8 Likes

The “water” seems to be a repeated theme in these messages. “We drank the water” is another one I’ve noticed in the crashed freighter dialogue.

Definitely something to be revealed in the future.

My advice is to only drink tea, or coffee, or beer. Water is clearly dangerous.

5 Likes

This is the one:

4 Likes

These are a few other abandon buildings I have encountered that seem related to this inquiry (posted in order of discovery):

10 Likes

Historically, water-born diseases were one of the top killers of travelers and could wipe out entire settlements.
I have no idea if this is related but its a fun fact.

5 Likes

So since we know Atlas adapts things from outside the sim into its world, is this where we get the Korvax?

3 Likes

Call of Cthulhu

by H.P. Lovecraft - Audio Book :no_mouth: for reference…

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking, all the atlas is, is a hard drive for storing echoes that have yet to be utilised in the real world, the echoes are kept on a simulation loop so mentally they stay healthy and active and don’t deteriorate into rampancy while waiting for real world utilisation.

Artemis’ fate is a reflection of what is actually happening within the atlas. Think Black Mirrors San Junipero episode.

I believe just the travellers are echos, as it is emphasised throughout they are “free” of the simulations routines and free to explore, reset and remember, with polo and nada being the exception (due to an encounter with an early traveller in an early cycle in the sim) and that though the Korvax have a lfie cycle of echoes and energy, I think their religion/history/ideologies are just based off of and inspired by the simulations true purpose.

5 Likes

Those are great, but you missed the one that says “I walk on shards of broken reality, into the infinite and shattering forever.”

2 Likes

This thread Is Super Relevant Now.

:smirk:

6 Likes

Yes. It is being discussed here

4 Likes