Study of the Star-chain Cluster Anomaly

There were definitely different coloured stars present both in the chain and the bubbles either end. I used the race filter for the pictures as it gave it greater visibility.

I’ll have a count up on Thursday when I get on again of what the Chain consists of exactly.

3 Likes

That would be cool if there are different types of stars in the actual chain as that shows a distinct change from the many I’ve located in Alpha quadrant. Often there are different coloured stars in the “bubbles” as you call them or satellite stars nearby but so far I’m yet to see a chain with different colours in the actual chain itself.

3 Likes

As I have travel through 25 Universes, I see a lot of chains.
I notice clusters of stars connected with chain, spirals of stars.
Those clusers appear as galaxies.
But NMS clumps them as regions.
As it is known in the “real” world, galaxies have a Giagantic Black Hole at the center, tis why they spiral.

Remember Emily, Loops16, Atlas, and others are in a battle for dominance.

2 Likes

I will look again in my area of Beta with this description in mind. Silly me, I was mainly trying to line up stars where I saw the most stars.

1 Like

I’ve made further investigation into the chain I discovered.

I give you… The Arm of Romocin

It has a total of 14 planets in the chain which joins two large clusters together. My analysis focuses on the chain itself.

Planet 1 is located at the bottom of the chain, number 14 at the top.

There’s a total of 60 planets and 5 moons.

@Mad-Hatter @Xion4012

I understand it’s a little late in the day to be tabling a possible Hub location with the vote completed in favour of Firefly, but it’s there for you anyway to look at and hopefully at least look at.

I can supply coordinates and Glyphs if required.

7 Likes

Although I still did not find a grand line of stars like the Firefly formation during my investigations, I was able to find a few single helix-like formations between star clouds. Each of these would have between 1-2 dozen stars.

And also to restate my earlier findings, there are commonly 6-8 stars within clouds that line up (given perspective).

2 Likes

I’m intrigued in your multicoloured star chain. I can’t wait to see a few pics. I think 10 to 25 stars seems pretty typical in size.
I’ve recently found another large one but it is not as good as the first one nor does it have coloured stars.

3 Likes

I recently discovered that if you are very lucky and in just the right spot, its possible to see ‘sheets’ of stars in the larger groups.
As you move sideways 10-15 stars will line up not in a string as such but in a ‘sheet’. These will be parallel to a second and possibly a third t and fourth ‘sheet’. (With a gap between them).
Viewing from an angle will make the ‘sheet’ disappear into just stars. These are really hard to find due to the sheer number of variables needing to occur for one to present/visible
It’s just mathematical coincidence to do with the formulas of how the stars are placed but still a great find… I’ll post a pic next time I do a USB upload.
So much interesting stuff in the galactic map if you hunt about isnt there?

EDIT: corrected mistake.

3 Likes

Here is the picture I mentioned in my previous post.

These are not star-chains but what I call star ‘sheets’. By moving from side to side you can see the ‘sheets’ much like looking at a plates of glass end on. Once you lose your end-on view they are simply stars. The reason I’ve noted these, is that they are usually in little groups of 4 'sheet’s and as you move you can clearly see they are perfectly parallel.
I believe these are also due to the algorithms used to build the galaxy. Over time, different formulas will inevitably create little overlaps that can be seen as a pattern provided you are looking at just the right spot from just the right angle. I’ve only found 3 but they were all exactly the same ‘sheet’ pattern.
It is difficult to see in a still image as it’s the movement that makes them evident. In a still image background stars and stars slightly off to each side foul the image, but you get the idea.

If you are determined to find one, the only advice I’ve got is to scour the stars at an angle away from centre of galaxy and at an angle from horizontal. Sliding sideways is the only way to find them and pivoting around clusters slightly may improve your chances. I’ve spent ages hunting and these are nearly impossible to find.

3 Likes

Very interesting finds on these chains/patterns. Makes me think they might be a result of some sort of ‘sanity’ check algorithm to ensure connection between clusters or regions. I can imagine these chains/patters to form in edge cases of grid borders or whatever measurement they use to generate parts within the galaxies. I will keep an eye out on finding similar ‘anomalies’ as they certainly intrigue me.

3 Likes

Its cool in the way; if you look hard enough you can see glimpses of the maths behind what creates the NMS galaxy. If you don’t study closely you see nothing but a beautiful expance of stars. I dont like breaking emersion too much but the game lore does tell you its a simulation so finding clues doesn’t really ruin anything. Lovely work HG!

2 Likes

That was my impression too.
I’m envisioning a cubed or rectangular mesh gridwork with an additional diagonal meshing. This is set with a series of patterns of spaces and stars at varied intervals to create the illusion of floating clouds of stars joined by columns.
Sometimes there are accidental patterns which betray the mesh. I’m guessing a junction between sections creates the star chains due to a slight cloning of the adjacent section, as the pattern repeats.

1 Like

I’ve created a two minute video of the Galactic Map showing a fly-around of my Star-Chain.

From this you can see it far better than I could ever describe it.

10 Likes

Very cool. It’s on my to do list now.

1 Like

Funny enough I passed by another chain about the size of @Oshoryu’s on the way to the Firefly chain. It was about 15000 ly away.

1 Like

Once you notice them they start popping up everywhere. :crazy_face:

2 Likes