Sean Murray's Reveals MAY 2018 (PvP Disscussion)

But even Facebook allows people to block whoever they wish and if someone comments something unpleasant on a post you made on your own timeline you are also capable of deleting their comment…because your timeline is yours.

1 Like

@toddumptious

When PvP hits and you realise you’ve neglected your Multitool and Ship weapons in favour of 800+ hours, “Taking pretty pictures”

3 Likes

Creative mode is simply that creative. I enjoy it. You’re right it is great for building and planning bases on freighters or planets. But fun to create race-tracks and places for others to visit. Also good for sorting out how to arrange weapon tech and starship tech in the slots before commitment in other modes.

It’s super cool for visualising videos and photo mode. Also being able to visit Portals without restriction is great if you want to get an address you can then dial in and set a Waypoint to fly-to.

Being in an an outer galaxy and currently unable to return to Euclid using creative mode I can still take part in things in other galaxies.

Sometimes it’s just simply fun to play and idle aimlessly through space while dinner is being prepared and have silly fun with friends running about.

Edit. I forgot to say I know someone in their mid-eighties who loves Creative mode and just doesn’t enjoy the detail of the missions and story. They have a life beyond the game and dipping in and out of Creative mode is a very inclusive way of playing a video game. No pressure and tremendous fun. An all ages family mode.

I have all the best ships in the game, the best offensive multitool(S class alien 24 slot), and ALL tech blueprints in the game, every last one…but just because I could in theory waste my time on griefers does that mean I want to or have any interest in doing that? Hell no. I’m more of a loner anyway but nobody should have to run away and be alone or feel like they can’t just share their base coordinates because it might attract griefers. If people just want to play with friends in a hub without having to worry about PvP they should be absolutely free to do so without having to hide their coordinates or having to worry about one of their friends trying to backstab them.

The Rebel Alliance had to move their base when the Imperial Stormtroopers found it. Cloud City came under attack. Luke left Tatooine. NMS is a rambling space adventure as far as I see it We can create our own adventures or invite others to take part which just adds more fun. The opportunity to be affected by external events could be fun. Or not take part in them would also I assume be a choice.

As science fiction fans didn’t we all want a game we can do all these similar things? Space adventure, space battles, travel and exploration, land speeders!. We have the chance to be those characters we have loved for years in all those science fictions films… Can I include ‘The Wizard of Oz’ in that too Lol That’s one crazy film that has a flying house and balloon so almost a space ship and a great pre-cursor to the Korvax with the Tin Man haha!

4 Likes

But this isn’t Star Wars…there’s no greater story to be told. There’s no heroes or villains…there’s only people either being able to enjoy the game how they want to or not. There’s nothing more to people attacking others than because they’re jerks. Ruining the game for large numbers of people and pretending it’s ok because you can say that some such happened in Star Wars is nonsense. And like I have said before…if PvP is completely unrestricted the organized griefers will always win…ALWAYS. You know why? because the game engine has limits…it can’t render an unlimited number of players at once so when a pack of griefers warp in you’re done…even if somehow you managed to get the message out and miraculously everyone would drop everything they’re doing and warp in on time they wouldn’t see you or any of the people attacking you…because the game has reached its limits. And they will pick off everyone in a hub…over and over. At most everyone could consolidate with friends which would make the griefers unable to join but hen what? How long are you all not going to move? The fights happen on the griefers’ timing, not on the timing of those who wish to live in peace…because they know where you are if you live in a hub or if you shared your portal address but you have no clue where they are…or when they’re coming.

Trying new things is all very exciting and one way everything can change for the better. July 24th should be quite an event!

5 Likes

You shouldn’t express your own opinions as fact, not everyone is the same as you.

You logic in this argument is flawed. The reason you say there will be no defense against the griefers is that they will come in such great numbers as to “limit rendering”, preventing help from coming. However, these griefers could not effectively target a high population area like a Hub for the exact same reason: there will be too many people present in the Hub for the griefers to gather in any significant number.

Therefore, using the same tactic you just described, a Hub need only be of a certain size and it will act as it’s own defense.

2 Likes

The render limit will likely work per system, not per hub…so if a system is full of hub inhabitants sure they might not render but how often is that going to be the case? Unless you’re always with a team you’re vulnerable and that’s not likely to work that way…not anyone will just look to team up with any random player available…ESPECIALLY if PvP is unrestricted. So then it depends on whether you can always be with your buddies…and not everyone will have a full team of 4. So yeah…what I have said is factual with a few exceptions. But again…not everyone who is in hubs cares about coop that much…which then would again force people into doing something they have no interest in at all or distracting them from doing what they want to be doing because of griefers.

People. What can go wrong…?

6 Likes

This looked somewhat interesting.

Thanks for posting this teaser. Will deffo keep my eye out for it.

2 Likes

When the game was first released, it had one way to play. Every time a major change in mechanics occurred, it was released as a new game mode. Nobody was forced to play by the rules of survival, permadeath, or creative if they didn’t want to. It was always given as an option.

What makes anyone think that a PVP system wouldn’t work the same?

4 Likes

That would actually be awesome, if there was an enormous zoo where you could see EVERY SINGLE discovered animal.
And then we could have stuff like geology and botany museums with EVERY SINGLE discovered plant/rock!
Suddenly hyped for NEXT!

3 Likes

That is a nice idea but not likely feasible…accumulating hundreds of different life forms in one place where they’re all rendered in at once would most likely just crash the game or at the absolute best case scenario drop the fps to single digit land.

1 Like

Good point. Perhaps something simpler, like a database, would be less heart-attack-inducing on computers.

3 Likes

A data base at a particular structure on a dedicated planet visted via portal would be cool.
It could be like a virtual museum where you accessed an online data base and could scroll through all the flora and fauna finds in your galaxy.
It would be nice to see a return of those animated images from the pre 1.3 update. Truthfully though, I think it would be a bit boring but an archive should exist somewhere.
In fact I feel there needs to be specific extra-interesting locations dotted across the galaxies. Special locations that are like tourist destinations.

4 Likes

DM21 Gaming is of the opinion that multiplayer should definitely be a new mode, or else it will be REALLY BAD.
Not just because solo players wouldn’t like it, but because it would be super unbalanced with lots of experienced players with all the tech, mixed in with new players who will take a long time to progress due to the new nanite system.

I didn’t have 38 minutes to listen to it all. I skipped portions. If I got his meaning wrong, please inform me.

I got: If you play multiplayer online with many people, you accept the risk of getting attacked and your bases destroyed. Otherwise, you can play single-player only mode and be safe. Is this what he is saying?

He notes that for him, survival & perma-death are easy. The game is easy for him. But multiplayer would make it more difficult and enjoyable…for him. He meets a stranger in multiplayer mode and they become friends…and work together. I agree, that is the draw to multiplayer. The flipside is: Meeting many in the game who seek only destruction & domination…period…that is their only playstyle. They will friend with others who share the same playstyle…because more destroyers = more area to dominate.

I’ve played games that had enjoyable PvP…and I enjoyed myself playing PvP. But those games were either entirely-PvP or they had areas that were PvP-only along with safe areas. I enjoy grouping with my guild/like-minded players to tackle objectives against other players. I DO NOT ENJOY groups ganking Everyone and just Destroying…substituting what they can’t do in Real Life with what they Can do in NMS.

TQQdles™

4 Likes

It’s sad that people’s true colors come out in video games where the consequences are minimal. People are excited of the idea of killing other people and destroying other peoples things as well as dominating others and being idolized by force.

None of what you watched were the parts I pointed out above the video.