Real Time Pandemic Tracker

:cry:
CBS News: Captain Tom Moore, World War II veteran famous for COVID fundraising, dies at 100.

5 Likes

Sad that heā€™s gone. Still, 100 years old. In his final year he raised 40 million for health service charities, got knighted by the Queen, appeared on the London Palladium, and had a no. 1 hit record. All he needed to do to complete the rockā€™nā€™roll life was to get a couple of supermodels pregnant. Andā€¦ who knows??

In a final cruel irony, he was in hospital suffering from a mild pneumonia - because of which, doctors refused to give him the covid vaccine. He probably would have survived the pneumonia - but, unvaccinated, he couldnā€™t survive the covid infection he picked up in hospital.

Goodbye, Captain Tom.

7 Likes

Well, damn. A former brother-in-law just died from Covid. Feels like a noose is wrapping itself around me. I am holding on for the one shot J&J vaccine since I will continue to stay home anyway. Just wish this vaccinating business would speed up

10 Likes

Added a new covid variant tracking map for the US in the top post

5 Likes

Had my first dose of the Pfeizer vaccine today (Iā€™m high up on the over 65ā€™s list, because of an existing medical condition).

It was an almost painless procedure, and the staff were competent, friendly, and reassuring. I havenā€™t noticed any unpleasant side effects yet.

I am, however, noticing a curious desire to vote for Bill Gates as World Leader. Heā€™s such a charismatic, trustworthy character.

Hmmm. Perhaps things will look different tomorrow when I reboot wake up.

9 Likes

She is safe from the virus and will take vaccine as soon as its safe to, butā€¦ she has been trapped in the hospital since November 2020 and is being forced into a carehome. Itā€™s so fā€™n sad. No visits aloud. We also found out she has bone marrow cancer.
The health care who would come to her house, has already removed the bed and ceiling track lift. She is a large woman and ( according to the workers comp people) needs ā€˜2 person assistā€™. Most workers were able to safely help without a second person ( my grandfather and I can do the work ourselves?), but the rules force ā€™ two people ā€™ cause injuries n jobs. F em. Add in our world wide pandemic, and somehow workers cant safely help. So Off To A Homeā€¦ she and I are furious. Care-homes were Horrible before, lockdown.

Iā€™ve Burnt through many rolls of tin foil too and have some super scary research findings that change everything. Its nuts. Crazy even. This lockdown is a joke and 2017 :alien:

4 Likes

I am so happy for @Polyphemus and so sad for @JubiTheVille . I have a 92 year old friend in a nursing home. She is now fully vaccinated and they are allowing one visitor a day for 20 minutes in the foyer. No touching, canā€™t bring anything in and must have a fever check before entering. It is more than has been possible for a long time. At least it is a start towards normal.
It sounds like your grandmother needs more care than you and your family are able to give. I know it is a heart-breaking situation. My family has been in a similar situation before. For my friend, we have taken turns standing outside her window while talking on the phone with her. It has been amusing at times. One guy went by and danced while it was raining. He danced to Singing in the Rain. This friend of mine loves old movies. She laughed so hard. :drooling_face: These situations are a time for us to rise to the challenge and not give in to despair.

5 Likes

BGR: Breakthrough drug might cure COVID-19 in just five days.

4 Likes

Interesting article on EXO-CD24. Although a little worrying that none of the reliable news sources seem to be carrying the story.

The only UK source I can find is the Daily Mail - well known purveyors of hysterical right-wing bias, lies, distortion and exaggeration. Roughly equivalent to Fox News.

2 Likes

Well, if only 30 people have had the drug, it would be far, far too soon to have an article about it. Hopefully, it is based in truth
Here is an article from Israel

1 Like

Ok. Now a friend of mine is positive. She is in her 70ā€™s with a heart condition and she lives with a 3 inch blood clot in her leg. I am very concerned. So far, her symptoms are the same as sinusitis. She has only gone to WM once a week during at-risk hour and to pick up commodities once a month. Her daughter is also positive. She picks her daughter up once a week for the WM trip. The daughter has a home help nurse who NEVER wears a maskā€¦unbelieveableā€¦

Amanda Gorman at the SuperBowl

2 Likes

My friend now has covid and pneumonia. She is in the hospital.

4 Likes

Pneumonia is no joke. I wish the best and hope your friend overcomes it. If only somehow we could share dreamsā€¦ It would change everything.
UV Air purifiers with replaceable filters are the best. Filters can be gifted.

I have some good news about my granny. She has been accepted into a care home in record time. This means my family and I will be able to visit her soon. My grandfather has already had the opportunity to give her a hug, and then ride with her to an appointment.
After a quarantine period of 2 weeks, it can be my turn to visit. Iā€™d wear a full space suit if I had to, but i think its gown gloves mask and face shield, with social distance rules. I might even be able to get a job there tooā€¦ iā€™m piss poor and need it too.
My grandmother is the first person I know going into a home. At least the first person I plan to visit regularly. The transition towards it all has been a storm. I have been almost completely left out of any decision making what so everā€¦ But somehow what should happen does. Itā€™s so sad tho, and I feel like I could do better.

6 Likes

I am so happy to hear this. Go get that job! Good luck! :wink:

3 Likes

Update: they sent my friend home with a nurse and a breathing machine. Obviously not an ICU situation but strange. Covid has changed many things. She says she feels better.

9 Likes

Another update. My friend is over covid but has to use the O2 periodically and her blood pressure keeps dropping really low and she still has lots of coughing. Dr says it will be August before she begins to see real improvement.

New York Post : Gibraltar ā€˜first nation in worldā€™ to vaccinate entire adult population.

4 Likes

The picture of how this began is slowly coming into focus

NBC San Diego: UCSD Researchers Estimate COVID-19 Was Around 2 Months Before First Reports.

Anyone want to go to the races? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Many of my friends have an app that tracks leftover vaccine. They have all gotten their first dose even though they are young and have no health conditions because leftovers are available to anyone. Check your local area to see if there is such an app available for you.

8 Likes

7 Likes
3 Likes

I got my 1st shot of Pfizer last Friday and was able to get my aunt (who I live with) in the appointment right with mine. Our 2nd is on 4/9. I searched relentlessly for 3 weeks-itā€™s really hard to get an appointment here in my state even if your 65+ (my aunt) or a first responder (me). It would actually be easier to get struck by lightening while winning the lottery while actually getting a confirmed purchase of a PS5 than to get an appointment for a vaccination. Today I got a notification of a 2nd case of Covid this week where I work-hope I donā€™t get it, now in the home stretch. Itā€™s been like this for the past year, notifications & wondering if Iā€™ll get it & bring it home-itā€™s stressful. So far I have been extraordinarily lucky and havenā€™t been sick. But at least now Iā€™m less stressed, hopeful! Side effects werenā€™t bad. My aunt had a mildly sore arm. The day of the shot my sinuses cleared up more than they have in years-odd, that. I had a mildly sore arm, headache, and malaise the next day. Headaches for the next two days (really bad headache Monday). Good by Tuesday though-most certainly worth it! Iā€™ve also slept better since the shot than I have for the past year! I know I still need the 2nd shot to be protected, but knowing it is scheduled & that it will happen and that my aunt & I are halfway there is a HUGE load off my shoulders. Having hope again feels so damn GOOD!

7 Likes