POLL: The Expansive Age-Range of NMS

This reminded of something more modern that I haven’t installed on this new laptop yet and that is FSX. If it will even work with Win10.

The following statement is from Microsoft!

Third, we need to act with a sense of shared responsibility because AI won’t be created by the tech sector alone. At Microsoft we’re working to democratize AI in a manner that’s similar to how we made the PC available to everyone.

Is the second line true or false?

False

2 Likes

The first big computer game I bought was Myst. Back in 1993, $60 was a perfectly reasonable price for a game. Today, a price of $60 places NMS at the upper end of the price range for games, but I feel I got every dollars worth of value from NMS, in part due to being old enough to have been around when games were more expensive and less good than they are today.

8 Likes

I Just realize that my 1st “galactic” game was Captain Blood, a very clever game in the late 80’s.
Close to NMS. more than 30.000 locations, a system of 150 glyphs to talk with aliens ( from easy to really hard to understand and answer), randomly-generated planets…

You can try it in your brwser i you want:

8 Likes

Personally, and I’m going to admit this, I wish I hadn’t bought NMS for $60. I still love the game so much, but it’s a little much. Would absolutely 100% get it for $30 or lower.

I look at it as an investment into Hello Games to keep up the great work :smile:
(But yeah maybe a little too much)

4 Likes

I cannot think of another $60 dollar or more investment that I have gotten more time out of besides the obvious: house, cars, appliances and the PS4 consoles themselves.

For me, I have put more time into this game than any other. Sure, I would like to spend less money. However, I am happy to have paid $60 dollars for the game and then another $30 for my wife (KnightAlese). If there were extra content for download, I would have purchased that as well. I would like to support the creation of more content and money will make that happen.

8 Likes

Exactly, that 60 paid for the game and at least 2 years of free updates. I’m still trying to decipher Seans use of the word free in all the release notes for updates. (is he using it for good publicity, i.e Hey Look, our updates are free. Or is it to remind us, these are free updates and its important to make that distinctionto save on future confusion when a paid update appears?)

They did talk about introducing paid DLC after the first couple of free updates prior to launch, as the game would grow and expand.

I don’t know if the backlash at launch has changed their stance on this, and if we should expect more free updates than originally intended, but if HG plan to support this game long term, there will come a day where paid content will appear.

In what manner, I don’t know, I previously theorized portals would be a good way to introduce paid DLC, scripted adventures that don’t interfere with the base game or the free updates, ways to expand lore and story by giving people the ability to visit some of the home worlds mentioned in the lore etc.

I know not everyone will be a fan of paid content but HG are gonna need to work on some sort of steady income to support the long term development of the game post-release. So I bring it up in the hopes that people can come to terms with this, before it inevitably happens.

Another good way to introduce paid content, would be customizable ship skins, travellers skins, etc that would not give a paying player a different or better experience over someone who just sticks with the core free updates. Just to clarify, I think core updates to the game will always be free, I’m just wondering what form paid content will take the form of, while the topic was brought up… Though this is veering drastically off topic. So erm, just food for thought eh? :slight_smile:

I think even the possibility of NMS becoming F2P is on the cards. Imagine if you will, they figure out the multiplayer on the engine side of things, and we can see full bodied avatars running around interacting. That alone, would boost the player base by a wide margin. Then you start introducing paid content, primarily cosmetic one would hope. Those are two of the most essential components to a self sustained online community, with those two in place they could easily live off the MMO model (without in essence, being a typical MMO, I can’t imagine the player count on screen would go beyond 16)

7 Likes

First packages already arrived today! If only you all could see the smile on my face right now :smile:

Some Atari 2600 cartridges

MSX computer (Canon V-20)

Philips Videpac G7000

This feels like time travel …

14 Likes

Wow! Even the boxes are in good shape. Good find!

1 Like

Oh yes, if at all possible, I am trying to get anything I order with the original box/packaging. Makes it a bit harder to find though.

2 Likes

Used to have another hobby too by the way, just too bad everything went digital …

10 Likes

@DevilinPixy I was awesome at Battlezone back in the day btw. The full size console version with the green wire frame polygon graphics. I always wanted to be able to drive my tank up into those damn hills…

2 Likes

My best friend dedicates a lot of his freetime to try and find does vintage treasures! Even if he’s not related to No Man’s Sky or Etarc, I can perfectly picture him saying:
-oh I see a Phillips G7000 , a Canon V-20, Atari Games from the year xxxx… and than, do you know this and that and blabla (geeky discussion) and blablabla (:smile:

A very nice find indeed !

3 Likes

The incorrect white balance used in that last picture, (which gives the photo its overall orange/brown hue), just makes these photos seem even more like time travel :slight_smile:

edit Oooh, thats a lotta nice camera gear. The college I went to still teaches film photography alongside the digital stuff, we even had access to a dark room. Was my favourite place! I think it’s setting photographers up for failure if they just focus on digital SLRs and don’t teach one the wonders of graded paper or what true tone, light and shadow can look like _

digital SLRs have come a long way but, still, no matter how many individual chips and light readers you have in your DSLR, no matter how many pixels it’s capturing at natively, it does not compare to the quality of film. THeres still far too much digital compression and shortcuts going on with those things.

6 Likes

Exactly the same with music. Vinyl will always be superior.

3 Likes

You just can’t get sound quality like this in digital recordings.

9 Likes

That’s because it is from the days before ‘magic smoke’. Everything was better back then.

5 Likes

Seeing that reminds me of some articles I had been reading about Carl Haber, a physicist at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and part of the Atlas Group.

Edit:
One of the articles I recall reading:

2 Likes

I think it’s a reference back to pre-launch interviews when he said that DLC would be free. He later qualified it to say that there might be conditions where development costs were so great that they needed to charge for a particular DLC, but charging was not planned.

3 Likes