POLL: The Expansive Age-Range of NMS

Oh yea! Never found time to play through the original game. At the time it seemed too boring, compared to “the shadow and the flame”. :slight_smile:
And then came even more interesting ones:

gamxcomufodefenses530

Had this kind of “gameboy”, but it did not make it into present time.

11 Likes

OK, well, I won’t reveal my age, but “my” first computer used punch cards.

When I finally bought a PC, it was “turbo XT.” At work we had a network of XT computers. The mail “server” was a 286.

I do fondly recall a PC game that was totally based on ANSI. You use arrow keys and Enter to navigate many screens or “dungeons.” I am still pretty impressed at how the developer made ASCII characters seem like moving water using ANSI commands.

8 Likes

This is one (of many) reasons why I love Star Trek. :slight_smile:
Scotty is my great grandchild. Think about that… lol

That’s actually one of my favorite films.

2 Likes

I also played a bunch of really old PC games on 5 inch floppies.
Olympics (summer and winter) being one. Some sort of flight simulator. Hugo’s Horror House and Oregon’s Trail were among favorites. It began my love of story-driven games.

8 Likes

Guess what? … I couldn’t help myself, so I just decided to visit our Dutch market place for second-hand products. Placed bids on several retro computers/consoles and hope to hear back. If all goes well, and I can finish a deal with those selling, I should be getting the following items:

• Philips G7000
  • Atari 2600 woody six switch
  • Canon V-20 MSX
  • Commodore 64
  • Atari 600XL and 800XL

Once I manage to get those, I can start looking for additional peripherals and games I used to have. I got a spare room where I will set everything up in working order. Really looking forward to re-live some memories of good ol’ times.

Fingers crossed for sellers to accept my bids :crossed_fingers: Will keep you all updated on this.

9 Likes

Oh no…the madness has got a grip on you. :rofl:
This wonderful place has been near us for years but they have shut down now. I wonder what is happening to all of their stock…

5 Likes

This is a dangerous road to go down. I ended up with rooms in my house I could barely get into.

3 Likes

@sheralmyst Would be a shame to just let it collect dust

@Polyphemus That room has been re-purposed several times by now. Used to be my workshop until I moved most my tools to the box downstairs. Then it had been my personal arcade room filled with mostly pinball machines. It’s time for something different now, although I would love to have another pinball again. Right now it lost any purpose besides a bed for friends sleeping over, which does not happen often. Will worry about it when the time comes …

5 Likes

Update on purchases so far. I just paid for the Canon MSX, Commodore 64, and Philips G700. Can’t wait for those to arrive and do some unboxing :sunglasses: The Ataris will hopefully go through soon.

No Man’s Sky may have to wait a while … not to mention all those other games I have yet to play :smirk:

9 Likes

Woo hoo! Have fun! Maybe post a pic when it is all set up. :tada:

1 Like

My room has my drawlings taped to my door. That’s the only thing in my room that involves video games. I really want a NMS poster, but my family “strongly dislikes” video games, so they say no to all those things :sob:

2 Likes

Hey @Ospredox , How do they feel about sci-fi novels?

I’d be happy to turn the NMS photo of your choice into a poster for some obscure sci-fi novel…

6 Likes

Ready Player One is good, and I’ve been told the series called “Wool” is good. Haven’t read it yet, but my dad said it was great.

3 Likes

O man I didn’t know anyone played that me and my family all used to play that together and be calling our cousins who played to figure stuff out together

2 Likes

If you look at my profile my back drop is a picture mixed with commander keen and no man’s sky I felt it was fitting

1 Like

RP1 is solid! Trying not to get my hopes up for the movie, but it looks pretty badass so far…

If my cryptic offer wasn’t clear: you want a NMS poster, but your family doesn’t want video game propaganda. I can make you a NMS poster that looks like it is for a sci-fi book to get around the video game embargo, if you’re interested. :wink:

5 Likes

Right!? Those games also instilled creative and critical thinking. Instead of being given a manual, you just had to figure it out. And that feeling of discovering something was exciting! Another reason why I enjoy NMS: that discovery aspect. A lot of the UI gives you hints, but in the end you have to piece it all together.

When a game doesn’t have a manual or tutorial, that’s where the design of the game becomes very important. The design, if done well, will give the player the understanding of that particular world to tell them what they can and can’t do, or the ‘mechanics’ of the game. Which in turn inspires the creative thought process in how to solve certain problems within the game… E.g. “There’s a drop ahead, I can only go right, and the camera won’t follow me going left, where I came from. That platform is moving left and right and going out of the frame. I think if I jump on that it will take me somewhere.” <— in its most simplistic form. lol.

This is why this particular game is getting so much traction in social media right now:

The constant “learning” of mechanics. It’s an extreme version of the idea, but gets the point across.

4 Likes

Going to be honest, if I just bought a video game poster I think they would let me put it up. They’re not fans of wasted money.

2 Likes

How it all started? yeah, pretty much like this:

Except my monitor was black/yellow monochrome…

12 Likes

@Ospredox - Wool is a tremendous, even if occasionally depressing post-apocalypse novel series.

Also, a few people on Steam create some nifty No Man’s Sky posters or large “book covers.” Maybe they would be suitable to print and put on the wall or door.

3 Likes