The Local Space Station (Community Chat)

A place to talk about whatever you like, need not be related to NMS. The Local Space Station is where we can get to know our fellow travelers better without the pressure of having to ahere to a specific topic.

Feel free to post what’s on your mind or questions for the community or whatever really :slight_smile:

11 Likes

I gotta start by saying I am glad I finally found a place like ETARC. The Steam Forums are, “OMG, you kids are getting on my last nerve”. I still lurk around there, but not so many posts anymore. Hate begets hate and I caught myself “turning” on people. Had to watch my roll. Then I discovered ETARC and its the perfect home for NMS player who is also a Amatuer Radio operator.
I’m also a truck driver and I am wondering if “its” there in my mailbox when I get home in a couple weeks. Usual playtime is about an hour a night if I’m lucky. I go on a marathon on my days off. Well, that’s all for now, going to sleep. I’m currently on the Idaho-Utah state line headed for Portland Oregon. Not due until Tuesday morning, so I get some extra NMS time on this trip. 2 days off in Escondido California around the 2nd of Feb, a quick stop in Arizona to check my mail, if I can, then see my son in Las Vegas. I wonder if I’m the only trucker who is playing this game?

Blockquote

13 Likes

I’m curious, do you take your ps4/pc with you on your truck?

2 Likes

This is the first forums page I’ve ever really gotten involved in, and I love it. Here, everybody takes me seriously, and never just flat out ignores me because of my age.

13 Likes

Yea, I bring my laptop, ASUS STRIX ROG. If I let the truck idle the entire time I could play, it would stay charged. But I only have a 20 amp outlet, and that’s apparently not enough to keep the laptop battery charged while playing. I’d have to run the truck the entire time. And this company I drive for won’t allow the bigger inverters. Guess they have had some truck fires in the past because dummies want to run too much at once. Be nice if I could have the smallest one, 300 watt, just for the one purpose. 5 more amps is all I need.

4 Likes

Perhaps you could get a spare battery and charge one while you drain the other?

I agree with you. Pretty much everyone here is chill. These are people I wouldn’t mind hanging out with irl, there aren’t many gaming communities that I could say the same of.

7 Likes

I could, but I won’t just to prevent idling and for an extra hour of game time every night. I’ll just have to be ok with it the way it is.
Since 1.3, I restarted a new game. As of tonite I have 180 hours in, all glyphs, Artemis complete, a circuit board farm finally up and running, and just broke the 100 million credit mark. I’m after that freighter, just gonna take a little longer than others. Could have happened by now, but my OCD won’t let me leave a system without claiming every planet and scanning all I can on each one. I don’t stick around for that last creature most of the time. I could have spent that time farming.

7 Likes

Same here I have yet to buy a freighter, but once I can get some playtime in I’ll probably skip around peoples farms in the ETARC hub for that sweet dough :money_mouth_face:

3 Likes

Cool idea for a thread.
@Finnerty
The limited time you can play NMS is something of a blessing. This past several months have been slow for me (injury) & I found it horribly easy to settle into NMS & discover a whole day has slipped by. Lately, I’m inclined to set an alarm to let me know it’s time to go do something useful & get off the game.

5 Likes

@Finnerty Are you the guy that posted ages ago on Reddit that you play NMS in your Truck then???

I remember seeing a post like that once. Anyway, yeah, like you I got fed up of the Toxicity present on Reddit and found a home here. I can post pictures and say what I love about the game knowing I’m in good company and without the fear of downvotes for no reason whatsoever.

Welcome to the forum, and welcome home :blush:

7 Likes

@Oshoryu Yea, that’s me, I use the same name everywhere. I had Reddit on my phone for awhile. It wasn’t toxic like the Steam Forums, OMG! I just decided to pick one place to hang out. Was that ages ago already? Seems like yesterday.
I got some extra time off, so I’ll get some more quality game time in. I’m broke down in La Grande Oregon. Got a bad coolant leak, looks like its coming from the engine block, not good.

@Mad-Hatter You have a good point there. Its a good thing that I’m able to get some sleep so I can get up and drive the next day. But now I’m stuck here in Oregon, and that’s all there is to do. It is too cold and windy to enjoy wandering around the area near the motel I’m in.

5 Likes

I’ve always wanted to make NMS content on my channel, but I don’t think people would watch. On YouTube, it’s hard switching games. It doesn’t help that I’m not exactly “informed” on the new updates. (I didn’t even know how to make a beacon)

1 Like

Actually, you don’t have to know everything. So much of the fun of NMS is the discovery. Your viewers will get to discover with you :star_struck:

3 Likes

Here’s a tip you may have heard before. Make content that you enjoy. Content that you would watch. There’s so much content pandering to the masses on YouTube that it becomes hard to find content creators who are actually passionate about what’s in their videos. That’s why I love NMS youtubers. They obviously aren’t trying to pander to a massive audience due to No mans sky’s unpopularity among the general populace. They love NMS and they love making videos of what they enjoy! And believe me that, although the audience is not the biggest of communities, IMO it is one of the most well rounded, respectful communities that I’ve ever come across.
Just my two cents :v:t2:

7 Likes

I’m writing a sci fi story that will hopefully become a novel some day. I was just wondering if there was ever a story written about a small rural community on an other world trying to survive. If so, please let me know. I don’t want to write a story that’s been told a thousand times. Thanks in advance.

4 Likes

I’ve been coming up with a story too. This one will take a very long time to create, especially because of one thing: it’s a comic. I tried to tell the story by writing it, but it just didn’t… click. However, I’m comic form, it could easily show the vast landscapes that I’m trying to describe without words.

Wow… that sounded… deeper then I expected.

4 Likes

You’ll probably find every idea has had someone try it at some ppint.
I say go for it anyway.
I’ve been writing most of my life & even if you do accidentally come parallel with a story by someone else, there are always differences.
I did a fan fiction/non-fiction inspired by NMS that’s buried somewhere on this forum and during that, my character actually became annoyingly synced with the lore of NMS but I didn’t know at the time as I was still playing through. I had to rewrite a section to break away from the game playthrough a bit.
My advice:
As soon as you get an idea, get it written down before it floats away. I have a file on my computer simply for jotting down random stuff.

4 Likes

My advice would be to just write. Give no thought to editing or plot-holes, simply transfer it from your head and get it into a format you can work with. This is the First Draft and becomes your clay with which to sculpt your masterpiece!

I’m currently 470 pages and 125,000 words in to a novel I’m working on.

7 Likes

Lots of writers have used the theme as an element of a larger story (colonists arrive on alien world > set up farms > struggle to survive > establish industry > establish technological civilisation > establish space flight > meet other civilisations). Usually there’s some sort of conflict with the native ecology / fauna / existing residents along the way.

I’m not aware of anyone who’s written a whole book solely about the struggles of one rural community (kind of “Grapes of Wrath” in space). You could be the first - go for it.

4 Likes

Thank you @Ospredox, @Mad-Hatter, @Oshoryu, and @Polyphemus for your support and advice.

This is all I have written up to this point, please comment and criticize. This will at no point appear in the novel, it’s more of a summary:

“The story of a small farm community, on a planet in the outskirts of human space, that had since been long forgotten and neglected by Earth. Nothing major had changed on the planet since its abandonment two and a half centuries ago. That is, until a large and mysterious object was found crashed in the woods a few kilometers from town.”

7 Likes