The Local Space Station (Community Chat)

Ooh, that sounds good! I’d definitely read that!

1 Like

It sounds like a good idea. It’s the sort of thing I would like.

You might want to check out the following. I don’t think it’s too similar, but it’s best to be sure:

Fallen Dragon - Peter F Hamilton

Thousands of years ago, meteorite crashes into a planet. Buried under surface, leaves crater. Crater floods

Fast forward to 25th century - humans colonise planet. Colonisation controlled by greedy corporation, who turn up every 25 years or so to asset-strip and pillage the colony, who then have to rebuild. Colonists not happy - resistance to corporation grows.

Unknown to the corporation, the colonists develop enhanced abilities, local flora develop strange but helpful genetic mutations (produce drugs, medicines etc).

Turns out, colonists have discovered the meteorite, which is actually a damaged alien life-form, able to pass on advanced knowledge and abilities.

Corporation find out about the alien, and want it for themselves. Much adventure follows.

Full summary here: Fallen Dragon - Wikipedia

7 Likes

Thanks for the input! First of all, “Fallen Dragon” sounds fantastic and I’ll have to read it. Second, I can see that there are parallels between my plan for the story, and fallen dragon. However, any similarities my story has to fallen dragon will be greatly out weighed by what makes them different.

4 Likes

How does “Relictum” sound for the name of the planet. It means “the abandoned” in Latin.

2 Likes

It’s pretty good. Perhaps a bit close to “rectum” - you know, marketing, and all that?

Too soon to settle on a title yet anyway. A lot of writers use temporary working titles, then agree the final one with their publisher.

5 Likes

I just showed the name to my brother, he said the exact same thing…
Thanks for the input, every little bit counts

1 Like

How about “Campus”, Latin for grassland.
I know I shouldn’t worry about the name to much at this stage, but a want a placeholder that both sounds cool, and makes sense.

Campus is too much like a college or university. If Larry Niven had written about an agricultural planet, he would have called it something like “GodMyBackAches”

5 Likes

If you want to go Latin, how about Secretum ? It can mean a nice variety of things, like isolation, seclusion, solitude as well as secret or mystery depending on context.

2 Likes

You can try with greek words too (very used in astronomy). Grassland = livádi or for your idea of “abondoned” you have “échase”, translation of missed, forgotten.

3 Likes

Come to think of it, prolly best to not ask your brother or @Polyphemus, because they’ll likely read it as Scrotum :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

We live in a world where the American publishers of the Harry Potter books changed the word “Philosopher’s” in the title to “Sorcerer’s” - because they thought American readers wouldn’t know what a philosopher was.

I know it’s silly, but marketing people worry about these things.

8 Likes

Yeah…I saw ‘secretion’ at first glance… :nauseated_face:
Not very appealing.

5 Likes

How about a name that can be interpreted two ways? Like it’s original intention was one meaning, but a slight mispronounciation over centuries morphs into the latter meaning (along with the hopes and aspirations of the populace on said planet)

(Silly example from Latin words)
Fruges → Frigus ( Fruges meaning success/grain/fruit of the earth and frigus meaning death/coldness)

2 Likes

@HypoLord Stick ‘Abandoned’ in Google Translate and play with the different languages to see what sounds cool, and then variate it slightly like adding an ‘um’ or ‘den’ on the end to make it your own.

2 Likes

The promoters of the British singer Susan Boyle organised a celebration for her new record. They decided to call it “Susan Album Party”, and they gave it the hashtag “#susanalbumparty

It very quickly went viral, for all the wrong reasons.

*For the benefit of non-native English speakers, “#susanalbumparty” can be read as “Su’s Anal Bum Party”

9 Likes

Well, the bus I’m riding in right now to skiing and snowboard club has WiFi that only supports Safari. Let’s chat! What are you guys doing right now?

1 Like

In the middle of making a video about crashed ships.

4 Likes

Been busy the last few days, figuring out what seems to be another ARG, while waiting on Waking Titan to continue. We call it Entropy after the YT channel name in base64 (RW50cm9weQ). Game Detectives has a wiki for it and just created a Discord channel as well. Making good progress today :slight_smile:
RW50cm9weQ - YouTube
Entropy wiki - Game Detectives

4 Likes

Wow… just watched the first video! Did you start decipher the sigils?

Looks awesome!

Edit: sorry I didn’t watch the Entropy wiki, apparently everything has been translated already (:

2 Likes