The Local Space Station (Community Chat)

Not mine, but still cool. A concept for a fifth race.

Credit goes to cybercyrus on reddit.

4 Likes

As most of you know, I’ve been running around the galaxy in my blue, four ball hauler for a while now. I’ve always said it would take a special ship to replace it, (an S-Class 48 slot at the very least… Plus it will need that special something)

I’ve seen a couple of nice ones that are contenders, and I have 126m to spend but I’m also thinking of saving my cash until the update drops in case of some amazing thing they release.

So, should I secure my dream hauler or wait it out?

3 Likes

Man… difficult to say, especially at the dawn of a new release.

120M is really a good amount of units, so think about it well before spending anything!

1 Like

I found this incredible well made work this morning!

Credits goes to Stoian / Steam Community !

11 Likes

Just a thought. This is my main ship in my #2 normal mode game.

I found it as a crashed ship. The ship I swapped it for cost me 500,000. I think it cost me around 60 million to repair all the slots.

These are the other ships in my freighter. They’re all Class A 48 slot haulers, all of them found as crashed ships.

Why spend money when you don’t have to?

7 Likes

That’s not a bad shout, sure I can get some coords/glyphs of crashed S-Class Haulers somewhere I can exchange for a dirt cheap shuttle.

Cheers!

2 Likes

I know this forum probably isn’t the best place to ask this, but asking real people (assuming most of the people on here aren’t Atlas Foundation bots) is always better than google.

If I had a pair of entangled hydrogen (protium) atoms, and I added a neutron the one of them. How would the other react? Would it also become deuterium? or would the pair simply reject the neutron.

p.s.

1. I know that referring to ‘one’ of them is incorrect, being that the ‘two’ of them are basically the same object.
  2. I do not know how one would be able to add a neutron to an atom. If it is very difficult, just assume it is easy, and proceed with the question.
4 Likes

Nice to think you could magic another neutron out of nowhere.

AFAIK, entanglement ceases the instant the pair interact with their environment. To the point that even observing them will do it. I imagine introducing a neutron certainly would.

I’m not even sure you can have entangled atoms. I’ve only seen it reliably reported in sub-atomic particles.

5 Likes

Thanks for the response. I just thought that if this was possible, it would be possible to have instant communication to anywhere in the universe, as well as the ability to transport energy to anywhere instantly.

I hate how physics always shuts down my cool ideas.

3 Likes

I don’t believe that’s true, as it creates a paradox. If entanglement ceased at the moment of measurement, there would be no way to prove that the the particles are acting the same way. However, the particles do exist in a superstate, and do change when observed.

I see two possible outcomes. Either it’s impossible, as you can’t change the state of one hydrogen atom without changing the other. Or, the neutron you chose to insert into the entangled hydrogen was also entangled to another neutron, and the effect would be seen in both atoms.

3 Likes

There are people studying the use of entangled pairs for instantaneous communication. They’re just not trying to make one of them into deuterium to do it.

I saw one report a while ago, where a team managed to maintain entanglement up to about a metre away. There was another where people were trying to shoot one of an entangled pair into space - but I never really heard the outcome of that one.

It’s definitely an active field of research.

4 Likes

@Xion4012 Just to clarify, do you mean that the neutron would be entangled with another neutron, OUTSIDE the nucleus of the other hydrogen atom, and the second hydrogen would just react like deuterium, just without the neutron.

Or do you mean that another neutron would appear in the other hydrogen atom, from ‘empty’ space, to compensate for the first hydrogen’s ‘excess’ neutron.

3 Likes

The latter. Although the second neutron wouldn’t necessarily need to appear from “empty” space (just popping into existence for no reason?). It could just be in the area of the second hydrogen, part of an entangled system.

I should point out, I’m not a physicist.

4 Likes

Empty space is filled with an infinite amount of paired, virtual particles. In some rare cases (such as the event horizon of a black hole), one of these particles will be sucked in, allowing the other one to escape into outer space. Although I do not believe the particles making up a vacuum are neutrons, it doesn’t seem to far outside the realm of possibility that one would appear to compensate for any discrepancies in the universe caused by quantum entanglement. Just a warning, I to, am not a physicist. It is also 10:30 where I am and I’m barely holding on to consciousness, so please take whatever I say with a pinch of salt.

Thanks for the clarification. Discussing quantum physics is always a tricky topic, in person, and even more so while typing.

4 Likes

I need some technical advice. Whenever I try to type an apostrophe, I type an È or an è, or an é, É. It is distracting and an inconvenience. Help.

1 Like

Ohhh nooooooo that’s a lot of big words showing up in the feed. I’m just gonna nod my head and say “ok”. :laughing:

4 Likes

Hawking Radiation. It occurs when a matter/anti-matter pair is separated by the event horizon of a black hole. One particle is absorbed, one is emitted as radiation. But those are subatomic particles, not entire neutrons.

Edit: Neutrons are subatomic particles… :pensive:

3 Likes

Type a space after typing any diacritic to prevent it being added to a character that can have one. Alternatively change your keyboard layout. For example, if you have ‘US International’ on Windows, it works that way. Changing it to just ‘US’ will no longer automatically try to add diacritics. Sometimes you may need to remove the layout.

3 Likes

For those of us unfortunate enough to live under the outdated and completly failed experiment called Daylight Saving Time, it began at 2 am…yeah…anyway, can I just say that I really, really hate it…:rage: As if losing an hour for no good reason isn’t bad enough, I drug myself out of bed just to discover this:

9 Likes

Here you go. Brand new, and unopened. Emergency Virtual Tea.

9 Likes