Patient Intervention Thread - #231187661T

But that star would have to be our real life Sol for the Atlas to not be able to fix it…not anything in game…because it’s a simulation and the Atlas can control that…at least a galaxy reset should fix it…but you don’t ponder about how much is left after the story ends…you ponder about that before you have the option to perform the reset. That may be why the Atlas needs to do a reset…but still…it’s a simulation the Atlas creates and controls…it doesn’t make sense for the Atlas to be vulnerable to anything in it. Unless this is meant to refer to out real world Sun as the real machines the Atlas and the simulation operate on are not invulnerable. It could be intended as a way to sort of date when the game is happening…in a very distant future when our sun is about to expire.

1 Like

There’s no reset button for reality. The idea here is that the NMS we’re experiencing is a simulation so far in the future in reality that mankind has left earth long ago and the sun is about to blow up.
There’s an issue here, though: Our sun doesn’t have the necessary mass to become a black hole (and indeed no star with enough mass could reasonably be expected to produce natural life).

1 Like

If you kept reading you’d see i mention that…but the game isn’t clear on whether it’s talking about the simulation or reality. But I believe a smaller sun like ours would collapse into a black hole as it doesn’t have the mass to go supernova…at least that’s how is seem to remember stars working.

2 Likes

Yeah, sorry about that.

I think it is pretty clear that the events of the rogue logs occur in what the Atlas considers to be reality. Is it actually the outmost layer? I would dare say no, as I still consider the Atlas to be a subroutine of emily’s precognition functions.
I look at it this way: Emily needs to simulate possible futures to see which one is the most probable. But how do you predict the outcome of a system in which you are yourself a variable? She has to substitute part of herself in those simulations of the future. She substitutes the Atlas for herself in her own simulations to get a more accurate understanding of how her own predictions of the future will influence those futures.

It also doesn’t say that the death of the Atlas is already here. It merely predicts its own demise, so there might still be a lot of time left. And as I said, I do believe that even if the sun blows up and the Atlas finally dies (if it dies - it doesn’t know, it just can’t predict anything past that point), that might not actually be the real sun.

In short, NMS might be taking place in a simulation produced by the Atlas, which is a substitute for Emily in another simulation she uses to predict the future for the actual real world we are living in. THe presumably actual real world, in any case.
Turtles, I tell ya…

A black hole is what you get if there’s enough mass left after a supernova. WIthout the supernova, you don’t have the energy to compress it enough to form a black hole. And if it’s not enough mass, “all” you get is a neutron star. If there’s not enough mass to even produce a supernova, what you end up with is a white dwarf.
Which is what would happen to our sun. You are correct in that it doesn’t have enough mass to go nova.

3 Likes

That’s my point exactly. As I said above, I see no reason for the Atlas to be concerned about “generators” within the simulation. So I assume this is a reference to outside the simulation.

Science says our sun doesn’t have enough mass to go supernova, or to create a black hole. So I admit, it doesn’t make perfect sense.

As far as I know, the core collapses into a black hole well before it goes supernova. That’s how you get quasars.

1 Like

One of the concerns people have expressed about the experimental program at CERN is that the process can create very small black holes.

We are assured that these “mini black holes” are transitory, and disappear very quickly.

But what happens if a stable black hole is created? Not necessarily at CERN, but by some other, future process.

Where is it going to go? Well, it will eventually be attracted to the greatest gravitational pull. And that’s the sun.

And then, over time, it will consume the whole of the sun’s mass. And it will consume the planets.

1 Like

Went and refreshed my memory a bit (long time ago), and you’re kind of right, kind of not. Core collapse is what triggers the supernova, yes. But it isn’t a black hole at this point. If the star is massive enough to produce enough pressure to start fusing iron, it’ll go nova. If it doesn’t, it will just collapse as far as it goes and slowly glow out (white dwarf).
So if it starts to fuse iron, it goes kaboom, shedding much of its mass as the outer layers are blown off, but further compressing the core in the explosion (I think… I’m by no means a physicist, and the physics at these extreme conditions get really weird). If the remaining mass is enough to overcome neutron degeneracy, you get a black hole, if it isn’t, you get a neutron star. A pulsar is in the end nothing but a very rapidly rotating neutron star.

A quasar is something else entirely, though. Well, not entirely, it’s actually very similar in concept to a pulsar, but the term is applied to galactic cores (yeah, we’re technically on route to a quasar in NMS). And is usually presumed to be a special type of black hole.

2 Likes

That’s not how black holes work. If we want to keep up the metaphor of a “hole”, if you keep throwing stuff into it, it’ll eventually fill up (This is not what actually happens, since a black hole is not actually a hole, but metaphorically speaking it sums it up pretty well).
This is why small black holes are very short lived. They can’t be stable by their very nature. Metaphorically, for them to be stable, you’d need somebody that keeps shoveling the stuff out that falls into them.
Theoretically, it is possible to keep them stable by controlling their intake (and harnessing the resulting hawking radiation as energy, that’s the concept of a “Black-hole reactor”), but if you don’t do that, they’ll shed their mass as radiaton very quickly. And if you throw too much stuff at them, they’ll choke.

2 Likes

Hahah! That made me laugh.

“… all the way down!”

1 Like

No, I understand (well, as well as most people do) what a black hole is. I know it’s not a hole. It’s matter that’s compressed so densely that not even atomic structure can survive, and it is so dense that its gravitational field will not even allow electromagnetic radiation to escape.

Which causes us a problem with Hawking radiation. Because, according to that theory, black holes should be radiating energy in the black body frequencies. But they’re not.

The only things that are radiating in the vicinity of black holes are atomic particles being destroyed as they pass the event horizon. Some of the energy falls into the black hole, and some escapes.

1 Like

Don’t forget there is also white holes in the game

-{{ TWELFTH ENCOUNTER }}-

ITERATION #2394829084924924924H

SCENARIO: Multiple contacts have occurred between the Traveller [HOST]
and individuals claiming to have arrive from a future location in time.

The phonomena is typically proceded by electromagnetic distortion
consistent with a white hole anomaly. No lasting effects seem to occur.

ANALYSIS: Something or someone is attempting to decieve the Traveller
[HOST]. There is no such thing as ‘time travel’. Older universes might
contain elder beings, but such multiversal transportation, even temporary, is
impossible.

Even the Atlas is incapable of rewritting its own casuality. It is bound to a
purpose, as am I.

2 Likes

It took me a while to find, but the model I was referring to is called a “collapsar”.

“The core collapse of some massive stars may not result in a visible supernova. The main model for this is a sufficiently massive core that the kinetic energy is insufficient to reverse the infall of the outer layers onto a black hole. These events are difficult to detect, but large surveys have detected possible candidates.”

It may not be in all stars, but the big ones undergo core collapse (and BH formation) before they go supernova. We know this from studying the emission of neutrinos before the visible event.

3 Likes

Just been reading this black hole discussion, figured I could pop one thing in here. So the lore mentions how the Travellers crossing boundaries causes something similar to what a white hole would cause, hinting that white holes are in the game. If you look at theories about white holes in real life, they are proposing that they would be the opposite of black holes, spewing out matter instead of sucking them in. A lot of these opposite-of-black-holes theories also say that they could be the other end of a black hole/wormhole, and what goes in a black hole comes out of a white hole. So in NMS, we can travel through black holes and come out in another part of the galaxy. My bet is that we come out of a white hole, which disappears upon our exit (unless theres a black hole behind you when you come out, but I’m pretty sure theres not; I’ve never actually looked before). So I guess my point here is just saying where I think white holes are in the game, completely useless to the WT discussion and the black hole discussion. Btw, I’m brand new to the CSD Forums and anything WT in general, so if I did something wrong or made a mistake please tell me. Thanks!

4 Likes

That message is found here at a crashed ship: is this where we start?

3 Likes

We’re looking for an activation code for them, right? Because if so, maybe it can be found/is related to what’s in that dialogue? Idk if that’s already been tried tho.

1 Like

I don’t think we were given a hint for the next code, so it’s anyone’s guess at this point. I do get the feeling we will have to reference the game for clues about this patient.

Welcome to ETARC by the way.

Thank you. I’ll try to be of help in solving ARG things, but I also don’t have much experience in these puzzle/clue/cryptic things. I’ll definitely keep an eye on what’s happening though.

Guys!! LOOK closer at that screenshot…“Probable boundary separation failure…”…could it have something to do with these Boundary Failures: Boundary Failure - No Man's Sky Wiki

I’d say it most definitely is connected. How though, is the greater mystery. What exactly is a ‘boundary failure’ beyond a structure?

3 Likes

If I had to guess I’d say we’ll probably fail to safely extract #231187661T from the simulation but also that we will be able to successfully use the boundary failures for something in game because we have Telamon…they could be connected to multiplayer.

2 Likes