On the importance of the level 4 Atlas Pass

I still think it’s messed up to just sell it

2 Likes

Yeah, I agree. I would never sell mine, but the pass obviously means a lot less to him than most other people.

2 Likes

True and I guess it’s his to do what he wants with it still I hope it doesn’t become a trend

1 Like

With all the close up pictures of the passes shared across social media, it would be very easy for Zaphod to forge a pass made simply of cardboard.
An unsuspecting buyer should be VERY wary of buying from EBay, anything, without really seeing it first hand if at all possible. Especially if it’s a bowl of petunias.

1 Like

There’s a metallic element in the printing. It’s produced by a process known as foil blocking. Fairly standard for industrial printers, but pretty much impossible for the home craftsperson. It would be difficult and expensive to produce convincing fakes.

3 Likes

Polyphemus!! I just met your clone at the ETARC Hub and made my second ever monument lol.
I wonder if it was you or a foil blocked copy? :slight_smile:

Clearly you were up to mischief. So here’s the ‘selfie’ I snapped for you!

I currently play in Creative Mode only in Euclid. My other clone is a maverick nomad I lost contact with far out in the uncharted spiral arms of an uncharted universe. I’m pursuing him across the galaxies as he left his towel behind. All that remains of him is an ancient journal that fell through a portal. It could well be millions of years old. I’m deciphering the curious writings he scrawled in an effort to find him…

6 Likes

Funny you should say that. At the moment, there are four of me running round the ETARC hub.

It was nice to meet you. If you’d had your VOIP turned on, we could have talked.

I wanted to ask you if you could see my base. That particular one should be a living glass farm in biodomes. But I’m not sure people can see it.

(edit) I’m more of a heavily modified face flannels man, myself. We’re dragging this thread off topic. If you want to continue, we should start a new thread.

8 Likes

Oops yes! Excited!
Yes. Um. Atlas 4 passes. Maybe they will give us security clearances into parts of procedural cities. If the rumours of procedural cities are true? Perhaps the different designations mean everyone begins a new story line in a different location, eventually we all gain access to each others locations.

I just remembered there is that Second Room and data entry pad in the Anomly. Similar in shape to the passes. I wonder if that may be where we first use them. We still need access into the third room…

Or! Another possibility the passes are actually a cryptic code to a personal lock safe where we can keep safe special items we gain in the game. Maybe storing them on a freighter. If the freighter is raided and maybe we haven’t secured any storage crates with our pass key, there is a real possibility of having our items scattered or worse in survival mode plundered by another player…

1 Like

It’s a nice thought, and who knows? I think procedural cities would push the existing system requirements too far. But it might be possible without all the planetary geography, flora and fauna. Perhaps portal access to an area that’s purely an urban landscape? That should be possible.

I think the pass designations are likely to identify groups to perform certain specific tasks or experiments within the ARG. I don’t think the passes will be NMS related, since a lot of players won’t have one.

2 Likes

Hmm. I imagine everyone will get a pass designation digital or otherwise but the early players faithful having ‘supported’ the ARG have indirectly helped rekindle the recent hype with a little thank you in the form of a souvenir. There will probably be more souvenirs over the months ahead which would be nice and good marketing for both Hello Games and Alice & Smith.

I think you’re right it won’t be necessary to play the game or be penalised in game if you don’t have a physical pass. That would be silly and exclude any number of players.

Well, they’ve already canvassed for people to receive parts of Lab 319 (whatever that may be).

There has to be a limit to how much they can give away. What’s the international postage rate for 10.000 letters?

They haven’t charged for updates in 18 months, there’s another one coming up, and they’re still paying staff wages.

I don’t imagine the ARG is cheap, either. It has to end somewhere.

1 Like

Just got mine today.

3 Likes

It would make sense the European passes would be printed and published perhaps in the UK. Sony marketing would be familiar with publicity and printing promotional artwork in many countries.

It wouldn’t be too much trouble to email artwork to a firm and have it printed and posted at local rates. Maybe this explains the staggered roll-out and arguably a less costly approach to mailing 10000 direct internationally.

It would be interesting to know the budget set aside for publicity and future developments. The price of the game has remained relatively high. Made by a relatively small developer. I think there’s quite a lot of surplus cash there to oil the hype machine when needed. The team learned a difficult lesson in publicity management, which I don’t think anyone wants repeated.

The sooner the game wins a BAFTA for its art, design and possible future mix of ARG, the sooner the relentless public bashing will diminish, sadly too easily still fanned by the bruised egos of a clutch of early NMS gamers and the lingering odour of modern social media.

At some point new income revenue will be necessary. But I think some hearts still need to be won over before that pill can be swallowed whole (it will eventually) and the extraordinary development of the game recognised by its peers and importantly critics as a great game despite its flaws.

With recent developments in some media outlets arguably it’s slowly gaining a more lifestyle cult status than merely a game lol. Get ready to wear your Korvax freebie paper mask at the NMS Convention…or the Mr Noodles Gek Restaurant opening. I must check the post… Still no pass yet sadly.

4 Likes

That makes at least 2 now. Video Game Merchandise for Sale - eBay Here’s another one, at least this person didn’t start at $300

Hopefully, the original owner of those eBay passes will “forget” the serial number, in case that information entitles the player to something unique in the game or in the ARG.

2 Likes

Yes I believe this as well, I am new to joining all this but better late than never! I’m so excited by all the ARG stuff and the game in general and absolutely love the community around this game it’s incredible.

3 Likes

I just received one in New Zealand, so if they made it this far, they’ll be arriving in more mailboxes soon!

5 Likes

Thy wee-bit housie, too, in ruin!
It’s silly wa’s the win’s are strewin!
An’ naething, now, to big a new ane,
O’ foggage green!
An’ bleak December’s winds ensuin,
Baith snell an’ keen!

4 Likes

My question, is how do I get a hold of one?

You can have mine for just under 500 bucks lol

2 Likes