No Mans Sky on PSVR and Steam VR

what graphics card do you have?

1 Like

Radeon RX 580ā€¦we think it is a driver issueā€¦for some reason after installing the drivers, Lubuntu fails to open the desktop screen

Did you follow this guide? Requirements Ā· ValveSoftware/Proton Wiki Ā· GitHub

1 Like

I will ask since it is really my son doing all of this as I watchā€¦but not carefully, lol. I am fairly certain he was reviewing that yesterday.

Because I have a RX470 which is basically the same architecture, but slower and less memory

1 Like

Yes and he runs the same card I have and has no issues. He did notice that the Lubuntu version jumped. It is higher than the version he is running. He finally concluded that Radeon had not yet updated to include this version and the jump was higher than normal. He said this happened once before and he is not sure why Linux did it.
Yesterday, he basically got tired of dealing with it because he was finally able to download the new Trials game and I think he was eager to play it. Mom got left in the coldā€¦:grin:

2 Likes

This is what Iā€™ve been waiting for :grin:

I love the X-Wing VR mission in Star Wars Battlefront and have been waiting to warp in VR in NMS.

2 Likes

My son says he is going to use this for VRā€¦:rofl:22BxxTv

7 Likes

As someone who smokes joints while playing, it has been the biggest setback of VR for meā€¦ Canā€™t see my spliff yo :joy: and drinking ones coffee is even more difficult.

My experience with VR is as poly described, good for short bursts, usually no longer than an hour. I can see myself using this for very specific experiences. Like if I land on a planet that just begs to be explored by VR etc.

As for controls, Iā€™d say it will work as other games have with the move controls. So that will mean slingshot or look teleportation for positional movement if using the move controllers, and then standard controlls with locked hand positions if using ps4 dualsjock.

Personally I play with the DS4 on any first person game that requires movement (e.g skyrim) and I usually use the move controllers if I just want to toy around with objects and NPCs in skyrim, but without an analogue stick for movement on the move controllers, playing with those permanently is far from practical. Such a huge oversight for psvr and a hindrance for any developer making games for it. I dunno why Sony didnā€™t bring out a stick that has analogue sticks on it so we can navigate worlds AND have free control over our hands :thinking:

6 Likes

Following those instructions would install only Mesa drivers which would limit GL to 3.0. Waiting for AMD to update their drivers for 'Buntu 18.04.2 so it is compatible with the used kernel and graphics system Canonical put into place, will allow for GL 4.6 to be used. Thus allowing my graphics card to ā€˜do moreā€™.
Anyway, that is what he saysā€¦:grin:

1 Like

A scene like this begs for VR with the planet hanging so close in the sky. :sunglasses:! The black dot in the center is a blackhole which would also be cool in VR

3 Likes

The mesa drivers in that specific ppa update openGL to 4.5 which is exactly what you need. But that ppa only support (L/X/K)Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

I never installed the proprietary driver you can download at AMD.

1 Like

Will pass that along, thanks!

Hopefully it wonā€™t lag too much but just to be safe, set your expectations low and watch the VR trailer at 0.25 speed until the update comes! :smile:

2 Likes

@sheralmyst: I edited your post to include the exclamation mark so it actually shows the image :wink:

1 Like

Ha ha! Thanks! I did not even notice. Between NMS in VR and the Cyan Kickstarterā€¦too much excitement. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Iā€™m not a fan of VR. I donā€™t like the isolation, lack of contact with my surroundings. I play or cuddle the dogs when warping, have beverages I donā€™t want to knock over. The pup jumps all over me while I play-wonā€™t go over too well with VR after I trip over her and land on my TV. Too expensive & uncomfortable . Never been a big fan of 1st person view. I agree-only for short bursts. Rather have more variety in flora, fauna, landscapes, etc. The game is my favorite. Hope VR isnā€™t reqired.

3 Likes
2 Likes

No. It is not required. It is funny that we were so excited about 3rd person and now we are excited about going back to 1st person, :smile:

5 Likes

I didnā€™t think of it like that! :laughing:

3 Likes