No Mans Sky on PSVR and Steam VR

I doubt it will be mandatory, but the graphics will probably take a big hit on the base PS4 to keep the frame rate up. I expect a noticeable difference on the PS4 Pro.

1 Like

SM saves up his tweets then unleashes them :grinning:

2 Likes

This actually puts me in a few dilemmas.

• Do I upgrade and buy the VR equipment for the update, or do I wait for bug fixes?
  • Do I wait for PS5 (if NMS is still supported)ā€¦. even if that will be another year or more?
  • Not having explored any VR games at this point; will I enjoy it or will the interface be off-putting?

However, I cannot imagine a game that would be better suited for a virtual experience. I will be listening to others that take the plunge first to help make that investment decision.

5 Likes

Exactly my thoughts.

2 Likes

VR is worth it if you have the room to move around. You will find other games you like.

3 Likes

If at all possible, try out PSVR or one of the PC headsets. It really is one of those things you have to experience for yourself -no description will do it justice.

Right now there are enough really good games to justify getting a VR headset -assuming you already own a good gaming PC or PS4. You need to adjust to gaming in VR though, and motion sickness can be a thing for a small percentage of people.

The experience of standing on the surface of a moon, staring up at the planet and all around me, while in VR is something Iā€™ve wanted since getting a PSVR headset about 16 months ago. Now summer canā€™t get here fast enough.

6 Likes

So, we have online and VRā€¦ I hope the third component will be something for little old me. Iā€™m not really complaining, just feeling slightly melancholic about this.

8 Likes

My wildest dreams coming trueā€¦ just associate (letā€™s get wild), a VR experience mixed with a ARG more related to the gameā€¦:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

#partytime

3 Likes

I bought a psvr on sale over a year ago in the hopes this would one day be a reality :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

I have a ton of questions as well, mostly about controllers. Just how will this work in VR? I have never used the PSVR setup. Will it use wands? The Aim Controller? The Thrustmaster? Setting up in VR could quickly become pricey. It is something I have eventually wanted to do but, many questions need answering first.

4 Likes

I was thinking the same thing, obviously heā€™s looking his hands while holding the multitool, so my guess would be Aim controlers (which I hope not)ā€¦
Weā€™ll see, but I am afraid we may collapse under a ton of bugs in v.r launch versionā€¦ but stillā€¦ so Thrilled !!! lol

5 Likes

This seems like it would be a ton of fun, but I dont think I will be spending 600 bucks (ps4 pro and psvr) to play nms on yet another platform. Iā€™m with jedidia, I hope #3 focuses on something I will be able to enjoy.

Anyone that already grabbed vr though - you have to be excited!

6 Likes

I very much agree. Iā€™ve tried VR - I know several people who own headsets - and itā€™s fantastic. For about half an hour.

Then I realise how restrictive it is, how isolated I have become, how difficult control is, and how uncomfortable the thing is in long-term play.

For me, VR is amazing for a short while. After that, itā€™s just an extremely expensive gimmick.

And the online thing means absolutely nothing to me. As long as I donā€™t have to use it, I couldnā€™t care less.

So, like you, Iā€™m really hoping the third branch of the update contains something substantially game-related. Not just more peripheral knobs, whistles, and bells.

13 Likes

Iā€™m quite confused about the control method too. In the description on HGā€™s website it seems like the move controllers are used. On the Sony state of play video the Iron Man clip shows an image of a controller and the move controllers at the end of it but the NMS clip only shows an image of a controller. Then thereā€™s the ship controls looking like the T-Flight Hotas joystick.
Iā€™ve only used the PS4 move controllers once 2 years ago and put them away. I thought they were pretty clunky but Iā€™m told on newer games they operate much better. If youā€™re in the market for a psvr you can get a pack with those controllers included, though I have a feeling on PS4 at least itā€™ll be a controller only experience.

2 Likes

My main concern is: Thereā€™s always a lot of bugs when there is a big update. I imagine there will be tons of bugs with the NMSVR and it could get pretty bad and people complain.

7 Likes

Good point Mac. Itā€™s something Iā€™ve been thinking, but didnā€™t really dare to mention.

HG didnā€™t beta test NEXT. With the result that there were huge numbers of bugs. And that update only involved software.

BEYOND involves both software and hardware changes. If it had been extensively beta tested, we can be pretty sure that someone, somewhere, would have leaked the fact. And they havenā€™t.

I foresee some major problems ahead.

5 Likes

For me, I think I shall simply wait hopefully for more in-game enhancements (mystery box #3) & let the multiplayers & the VR converts enjoy themselves, with what will probably be an outstanding experience.
Iā€™m actually quite content with my 4k screen & the abilty to reach out for a sip of my coffee (without knocking it over) while warping.
That being said; Iā€™m still very interested to see what BEYOND brings. :rocket:

6 Likes

I couldnā€™t agree more with you. My first pick was LORE.
The story is so greatso far, butthey should really put more content in a way to expand and go deeper in the story.

4 Likes

I am still busy trying to port over to Lubuntu for NMS. Hasnā€™t happened yet, well, it is installed but they jumped several versions and my graphic drivers have not caught up yetā€¦so still waitingā€¦which brings me back to the reason I left PC for console ages ago and is the reason I keep my consoles because I may well jump ship again. If I do, I will either get a PSPro or wait to see when the PS5 is coming out.
I have to agree with @Polyphemus on VR. I enjoy it for small periods of time. Having gone through the Wii epidemic, I can say that moving my arms etcā€¦for extended periods of time is not something I really enjoy. Small doses are nice, big doses are tiring. Even if it uses regular controllers, after a time, I emerge disoriented.

3 Likes