NMS pernamently in beta! lol

Okay. Very deep for a suit with no upgrades for diving…:sweat_smile:

Hi Ziggy.

The game changed a lot with NEXT. If you start a new game (I have two new ones on the go at the moment}, it can be a bit strange at first, because there are new rules. You can’t play it exactly the way you did before - lots of old techniques don’t work any more.

But I promise you, with a little bit of practice, everything you could do in the old game is also achievable in NEXT - and a whole lot more, besides.

You just need to let go of the rules you learned for 1.3 and before, understand that it’s a new game design, and accept that you need to learn the new rules.

Once you do that, it all comes together pretty quickly, and much of it is actually easier than it was in 1.3.

Stop trying to play the old rules, learn the new ones, and it’s all still there.

4 Likes

Rule #1, backup your saves, regularly! … lol

4 Likes

Rule #2. Back-up your back-ups. :grin:

3 Likes

Rule #3, remember where you saved your backups.

2 Likes

but it cost things that beginners do not have, no the community did not want, SEAN did, piss ant he is

@Polyphemus, my rant and raving is not from just jumping into the game and making noise. I have been playing since this version came out.
restarted half a dozen times,

and finally told the game to stop the questing.
so far so good.

The main problem i’m having is the NPC spacecrafts trying to hit me while I am walking the planet!

1 Like

Ok, I see that it is only your opinion you value - feel free to continue without me.

1 Like

NPC spacecraft are shooting at you while on the planet? How do I unlock that feature? I want in on the fun too! :smile:

My long-winded take on the changes that have arrived since NEXT, is that the game is as good as it ever was in the previous updates. Better in many ways.

It can be hard to let go of things you become familiar with, like old ways of doing things, but any changes are well worth perservering with because HG are steadily creating a more balanced game play.

Introducing new things inevitably will cause some ripples until they are absorbed into an established way of doing things. Storage GUI for example is far superior to previous updates and has been greatly expanded. Now we have exocar improvements. Finding drop pods and other things is now easier by building an exocar and using their navigation scanners. There are so many more ways of doing things but I am finding that by using every tool the game has to offer, I realise that is the best way to approach the game. There is now a raft of methods and ways to play the game and all have carefully thought mechanics to make things easier. So stick with things as eventually I hope they will be as absorbing to you as the first two years of the game.

Gone are nanite recipe vendors, now we have walk in space station foyers and so on. Remember the game without the quick menu? After initially going uh oh, now I use it all the time.

As for beasties back on planets again I am so pleased they are. Just like old times. I was killed in two swipes yesterday unexpectedly whilst preparing to take a photo lol. My fault, as it was a reminder my lives had been on two and I had needed to ‘refill’ them. Personally I kill as few as possible unless I must for a quest, though I try not to do those quests. Maybe that’s why most are friendly to me lol.

Curiously the two Beastie species that had me laughing and kept running after me, ironically are named after… @zsigmond and @Mad-Hatter … .and can be found on EDISON in ETARCIA ECSD (Euclid)… our Capital planet. Not a creature was harmed in the taking of these photos… I’m sure they were friendly before the NEXT update :slight_smile: lol

Yes I too have blown myself up accidently. Again though that was me being lazy. Most of the time it makes me laugh. It is now possible to set up custom buttons or keys to suit the way you play. Easier though is to just swap to the shield or scope and check it is active from the onscreen prompt.
I have adapted and now remember to check, so far less funny moments…

I have the grenade on recoil which is really useful bouncing into Sentinel Walkers etc from a distance. Once you give yourself time to adapt to new methods the new GUI updates make sense. There will always be improvements but they do not seem to be done without thought. The grenade can end Biological Horrors with a single blow and also first responder sentinels.

Most of the updates and changes have given me more variety in the way I play the game.

I like you have been venturing across galaxies and do feel a bit frustrated that portal travel has now been throttled until Galaxy travel is properly introduced. Portals are better used as a unique transport method and we can now all return to travelling using warp cells and black holes to getting around. I’m certain another travel method will eventually be introduced to make galaxy hopping possible. I personally don’t think Galaxy hopping should be too easy to achieve anyway.

After all, just one galaxy is plenty enough for millions of years of gameplay without meeeting anyone. So portal travel ought to be pretty special somehow. Or even dangerous. I still think black holes ought to be more dangerous than they are currently. Heck it IS a fearsome black hole after all!! For me anyway I am glad I have a reason to use them again to get about.

I was grumbling a bit that all the travel destinations and discoveries I had named, had changed with updates. That IS one thing I hope can be avoided another time. However a lot of people are less forgiving as it easy to forget the design approach to the game is procedural. I then thought I am not the only one it affected, everyone was affected by the changes. What I then remembered was at least the portal addresses discovered haven’t changed. So all is not lost I hopefully will one day revisit those destinations when I can return to previous galaxies, particularly Euclid. A new normal save though does allow me to try to re-trace old journeys :slight_smile:
It has also been fun to experience starting a new game and learning about all the changes. Well worth doing.

I think the updates are gradually making the game fairer to play, which is important if multiplayer is to work well. Freighters and fleets are so much fun a really welcome update. I’m excited to see where that goes!

Tip on Ancient Keys. There’s no need to carry any keys until you need to. Every ruin that currently has a chest to open also has enough keys scattered around it, not far away. You will need to scan for them and a Terrain Manipulator to dig them up. When you have the three needed leave the remainder and open the chest.

One of my few grumbles is that the ‘player fan base’ call for ringed planets has resulted in EVERY system having a ringed planet. I wish they were fewer and more special. The surprise has gone. Why do we need SO many? Don’t get me started on player home bases… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yesterday, I was happily harvesting a little cactus flesh in my echinocactus garden, when suddenly a HUGE foot and leg darkened my field of view. The foot startled me, and when I looked up to see some sort of oviraptor getting ready to harvest a traveler from the cactus garden, it startled me even more. Heart racing, I ran back to the base, not even thinking to try to shoot the thing. As I caught my breath, I had to admit that it was fun.

I honestly really enjoy the game. While I may not like every change, on the whole they have vastly improved the experience. I love the ability to build big bases, to set up gardens and factories, and I even enjoyed frigate play. I don’t enjoy unexpected PvP combat, so I simply turned it off.

Repeatedly blowing myself up was frustrating, but to tell the truth, it was also a hoot. I ended up remapping the grenade keys to make it less likely that I’ll suddenly get the impulse to let a live one loose in a confined space, and the problem is solved.

I love the greatly expanded base building. All my attempts have looked really bad so far, but I’m learning, and they are improving. Once my factory run is finished (and it may take a while), I’ve set myself up with a handful of base building challenges. They may not be worth photographing, but they are fun to build.

I do wish for more sudden surprises in exploration, but there are already more than there were when NMS was released. It would be wonderful if once in a thousand planets you might stumble across a giant tube worm, or a tree with hallucinogenic fruit, or a double-ringed planet, or a two-star system, or an active volcano, or ruins of an unknown civilization, or a Dyson sphere. Perhaps some day we will be sharing such discoveries with each other, but we are already far beyond what we were at release. Rembember when we had a single starship, very limited inventory, no external storage, no bases, no freighters (let alone frigates), no starship or weapon classes, no terrain manipulation, no exocrafts, the same quadrupeds on every planet, a fairly expensive method of traveling to other stars, and almost no lore to learn?

A couple of major releases back, I named systems to give clues about their contents. Updates meant the names no longer fit. The system I named Vy’keen Training Ground had several harsh, nearly lifeless planets with frenzied sentinels in it. Now it’s a happy little Gek community with a bit of acid rain and cold winters. The name no longer fits, unless those Vy’keen want to hunt Geks. Even so, that’s a small price to pay for the fun of building a steel and glass tower with a four-pad landing zone on the roof.

I’m not going to let a dirty restroom or two keep me from enjoying a journey.

2 Likes

There’s no end to the possibilities for this game really. The ARG was fun too. I named a system, planet and all the fauna and fauna in the style of Vogon poetry… All gone sadly.

At the time there were no Portal addresses but I shall hopefully find it one day from the list of planets (from an old save) I visited. It’s like a real adventure seeking it out… Boldy going where no silly spaceman has gone before…

3 Likes

At the risk of slipping off topic, I just couldn’t pass the allusions to two of my favorites: Vogon poetry had me in stitches, while wondering if a total perspective vortex would work in a limited simulation like this, even if only to annoy someone. The second one was a likely unintentional reference to Planetfall, a VERY old (but thoroughly enjoyable) game that included a recruiting manual with the subtitle “Boldly Going where Angels Fear to Tread.”

We are a species of wanderers with minds twisted by “Hitchhiker’s Guide,” “Planetfall,” and “Space Quest.” Of course we would be attracted to an unfathomable number of procedurally generated worlds.

Sorry, I just couldn’t help it. My mood was set when I looked up this morning and saw Orion, standing overhead, waiting for Eos, and I longed to be on my way to Betelgeuse. Of course, it had to be Betelgeuse. Rigel is just too long a trip.

3 Likes

No matter to what ya say on how this, that, is, from what I’ve read I understand most are not happy with Hello Games. They knew what they were doing.
Have you guys been doing the community projects or are you ignoring them?

Got things going again and I am headed once again with my main to the next galactic center.
When I get there, do you want the cords?
If so where should I post them?

CSFD

3 Likes

Yes. We have been doing the Community Events.
If you would like, you can start a new thread for Galactic Coordinates. I don’t think anyone has started one since Next. Just place it under the No Man’s Sky header like you did with this thread.

3 Likes

I would honestly be interested in what you’re reading these days…
Look, the thread title is not wrong. NMS is in continuous development. It’s essentially software as a service now, and yes, that means there’s always some bugs. Some people like games in continuous progress, and some don’t, I get that. But from what I can gather, most players are indeed happy about many of the changes. Not all of the changes, and not all are unhappy about the same changes, but overall NEXT has been received positively.

6 Likes

Your still welcome to post, old friend.
[ECSD HUB]: Citizen Science Frontiers Division CSFD NEXT
[ECSD HUB]: CSFD Address reporting... NEXT

You staying cool below the circle, maybe its a little to warm for you? :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

@Sir_oops, it is great. a couple of days of upper 60’s , wonderful,

half way to center, feels good to be flying through space again!

be safe,

3 Likes

That does sound nice, I think it has rained here for a mouth straight. Fall colors and rain.

Glad that your back, so you will continue your journey to the last galaxy? Awesome! What then?

2 Likes

Even though it rains 3 times or so a week, it is better than being along the Arctic Ocean.
I find it better because it has TREES!!!

lol

4 Likes