NEXT has been near unplayable for me

Today I played NMS for the first time in a month, and it did not go well. The second I loaded in, the frame rate instantly dropped to what looked like 10-15FPS. Before NEXT, it ran 60FPS no issue. However, I just wanted to play so badly I ignored it only to find another glaring issue: the input lag. Every button/joystick movement had a 0.7 second delay (I timed it), with the exception of the jet pack with a 1.3 second delay. At that point the game was almost unplayable. I love NMS so much, but honestly that experience really put a damper on my mood. I’m considering selling my PS4 copy and buying it on PC if this keeps up. Do you guys know any way to fix this? When NEXT released, I had bad frame rates but nothing on this level.

Btw I’m running on a basic PS4 with only 250GB of space

4 Likes

Reinstall, game data? I have some delay, I don’t think it’s too bad. How do you tell what frame rate your getting on ps4? I think @Mad-Hatter, backed up and completely reset his PS4.

3 Likes

As far as FPS goes, once you have played a long time with FPS counters you get really good at estimating it :slight_smile:

For the input lag I have heard others complain about it - I haven’t seen a solution though. One question- do you have the rocketboots installed?

3 Likes

Yes, I experienced game breaking amounts of lag then crashing. Other games would occasionaly crash too. NMS was hopeless.
I eventually ellected to do a complete PS4 initialisation to fix the PS4 memory based crashing. I reinstalled NMS including all the update all over again. Process took most of a day.
Reinstalled my game data backups & have been enjoying lag free, mostly crash free NMS gameplay ever since.
Was a big annoying job & included wiping all my other games too but was ultimately worth it as I’m pretty much a NMS diehard.
Gradually reinstalling other games as kids request them.
My system is a regular 1TB PS4.

6 Likes

Have not experienced this lag personally myself, I have all my games stored on an external HDD so I don’t know if that makes a difference for me.

It is possible to rebuild the systems files and cache without wiping game and save data, I found this sped up GUI performance on both my system and across all my games.

Try rebuild database first and maybe uninstall reinstall NMS, this might do the trick and save you the mess and pain of doing a complete wipe via initialisation.

4 Likes

Yes, I do have those installed

1 Like

That was a common denominator with the jet pack lag - from what I heard.
Try removing them if you get a chance and see if that helps for the jetpack- if it is all inputs though it may not make any difference.

2 Likes

After playing around today, I found out that the game only starts lagging when I switch to third person. Going back to first person immediately puts the FPS to around 30. However the input lag is still there, rocket boots or not. Flying with my ship seems find, but it’s only on foot when the input lag is bad

3 Likes

Wow just found out something. After unlocking the frame rate it immediately shot up to what looks like 120FPS with NO input lag whatsoever. My PS4 does sound like a jet engine though, so I’ll have to be careful

3 Likes

That’s really odd, you’d think having a locked frame rate would have the effect you’re reporting from the unlocked frame rate and a more noticeable dip in performance when things get a bit hectic on the unlocked method :thinking:

I wonder if its some specific avatar option you have that causes the issue. Have you tried switching up Yr character to see if it fixes the lag in third person? I know @sheralmyst experienced some odd GUI issues with the new helmet from last weeks community event. Or was it present in starship play also?

3 Likes

In my ship, I have no issues. I’ll try to change the character model now to see if that does anything

2 Likes