Movies, Plays and Shorts

TCM played Solaris, the 1972 Soviet film. Watching now. How many have seen it?

3 Likes

Based on the Stanislaw Lem book of the same name?

2 Likes

Don’t remember much about it, a somewhat surreal affair if I remember correctly. Still have it lying around somewhere, I think…

It’s certainly better than the newer US-produced version, which promptly misinterpreted the source material and ended up as “George Clooney romancing a planet”, as far as I remember… :laughing: Still have that one lying around somewhere too, I think.

4 Likes

Yes.
Whatever it is, it seems to be in the water…or it is the water…
Edit…nearing the end…so humans are a filthy,unkempt mess and we need the water to make us clean? :smile: :thinking:
Yeah. So much water and unlocked doors.

1 Like

I am a big fan of Tarkovsky having a backup of all his movies, although it has been some time since I’ve last seen any of them.

Checking my drive, it appears I have 3 versions of Solaris, of which the last one being my least favorite to be honest.

Internet Archive likely has the older versions available?

2 Likes

The Soviet '72 version was interesting. Sorta draws you in slowly. 3 hours long.
After it, I watched Marooned from 1969 before Apollo 13. Curious since it could easily be confused with the events of Apollo 13.

1 Like

I read Solaris in translation a long time ago. As others have observed, I found it a pretty surreal experience.

What I took away from it was the idea that human language and communication are based on shared evolution and experience. A truly alien entity would be completely incomprehensible to us - no meaningful dialogue could ever take place.

4 Likes

Yes. I had that thought too but also something more. As the entity tries to absorb what it means to be human, they lost all hope. Fell into despair. Sensing they had caused this by manifesting themselves as they did, they destroyed themselves.
And then the whole thing ends with home being on one of the islands that formed in the middle of the swirling waters of Solaris. Thus sending the story full circle. Coming from the water. Evolution. Growth. Learning. Death. Rebirth. Something like that.
Not sure I will ever sit thru the 3 hours again but, it was worth experiencing.

3 Likes

I don’t know if this is the intention of the thread, but I am making an animated series. I made this first episode in Dreams and it’s an homage to one of my favorite games of all time: Slay The Spire

3 Likes

Counts as a short in my book. Cool.

1 Like

Paid 2 quid to catch this short movie a few months back, the creator has now put it up for free on youtube.

One of my favourite subversive comedians that perfectly captures the current moment clusterfunk of technology, societal demands and mental health '^ _ ^ Also found a great use for 360 degree cameras and multi-medium editing <3

Channel is full of gold. If you want more I suggest the haunted house tour or rebooted mickey mouse

2 Likes

Tyler Joseph looks a lot like Jamie Kennedy, who acted in Son of the Mask, the really bad sequel. I wonder if that’s why he went with that persona.

Considering Jamie Kennedys not so good reputation among other comedians, it may just very well be XD

Connor O Malley co-created “Joe Pera Talks To You” and wrote a lot of the episodes, also married to Aidy Bryant, so he’s definitely aware of Jamie Kennedy haha.

Now I’m remembering that time Jamie Kennedy hosted for Activision at e3… Knowing what we know about Activisions workplace climate, it makes perfect sense now '^ _ ^

2 Likes

My Dad saw a rheumatologist, and he thinks my Dad may not have lupus!
Here is the video of the presentation he gave at a museum over the weekend:

3 Likes

Yeah. Dear old arthur is much like lupus. Still inflammation as the root problem.
Watched his presentation. Wish I could have gone but just did not feel up to it.

1 Like

New movie just premiered on Netflix. Seems like a cross between Star Wars and Lord of the Rings; lots of people living a distant moon with medieval style communities. It’s getting good reviews, might be worth watching; I’m watching it now.

2 Likes

From wikipedia summary of Rebel Moon:

The film is set in a fictional galaxy ruled by the Motherworld, in which its military, the Imperium, threatens a farming colony on the moon Veldt, and Kora, a former Imperium soldier, ventures on a quest to recruit warriors from across the galaxy to make a stand against the Imperium before they return to Veldt.

From TV-tropes summary of “Battle beyond the stars” (1980):

When Sador claims the peaceful farming planet of Akir as a colony, young Shad volunteers to take Sapient Ship Nell and seek out mercenaries who are willing to fight him.

Hmmmmm… :thinking:
And just to be clear, battle beyond the stars was already explicitly a space opera version of “the magnificent seven”, which in itself was a western version of “7 Samurai”.
I guess some stories are just timeless…Will certainly give the new iteration a watch, I hope they didn’t screw it up too much.

4 Likes

It’s fairly mediocre, spends very little time developing the side characters. Really good special effects and action, but that doesn’t make for a compelling story. Act 1 seems lifted directly from Star Wars: A New Hope’s Tatooine section. Act 3 has a nice twist, and they do a good job of making the evil empire seem like an impossibly powerful foe, unlike the goofiness of the empire of the newest Star Wars films.

I think it’s worth a watch. Like most Netflix movies, it’s mildly entertaining, but nothing ground-breaking.

4 Likes

Episode 2 of my animated series is out!

4 Likes

Watching on hulu. Has anyone watched?

3 Likes