Let's Discuss Multiplayer - More Specifically "Pirating"

Yeah I should have done that for some of the upgrades I found early on but now I’m basically back to where I was. My mining beam is upgraded, my suit is upgraded, and my hyperdrive is upgraded for distance. Now I can continue what I was doing: finding a better freighter, a better gun, and a squid ship. Congrats on finding the breathing tech by the way. I would like to find the old tech that allowed us upgrade the mining beam for damage so I can use that instead of having to switch to the bolt caster.

2 Likes

I use to have the based sharing option until the update, but that is gone. The only thing I have now is called “Network play” I turned that off.
Thanks to the folks on this forum, I started backing up my save every time I sign off.
I hope they fix the crash thing for PS4 because it’s making my save unplayable.
I did start a new game last night, and I have to find all of my s class squid ships, exotic ships and multi tool all over again. But I did it in case they won’t fix the crash issue. I know it’s not my PS4 because no other game I play crashes.
Thanks folks, and happy traveling!

1 Like

Hmm…the base sharing option was definitely the the General Options when NEXT released…seems to be gone now…I wonder if simply not uploading a base will be good enough to keep it invisible or we’ll have to go out of our way to create fake bases with nothing built and upload those just to keep our real bases invisible…

2 Likes

Yeah that disappeared sadly. I don’t mind if people want to see my bases, or to stop by and say " hi" like the nice people from this forum.
However Hello Games needs to make some kind of patch so that a person who visiting, or a griefer can’t use their multi tool to destroy the ground around someone’s base, destroy all the resources, trees, etc. Or if they have to phase out the bases, or give us the option when we claim an unclaimed planet and rename it, that no one can do anything to it period. That’s harsh but it may be necessary.
I think it’s fair being that there are 18 quintillion planets in the system.
I’m furious over the caliber of some of the gamers in this game now that it’s multiplayer.
For example one person came to my base last week and started killing all my little animal friends for no reason whatsoever. I kicked him immediately from my game, and reloaded the game and my animals were back. There are some really disturbed gamers in this world. Can you imagine what griefers like this are in the real world? It’s frightening to me.

Off to work. Happy Traveling.

3 Likes

Last night I dismantled my two bases and went through a black hole hoping for a new start somewhere, where no one else lives…

:wink:

1 Like

Aw I’m sorry to hear that FullmanKatz.
But I sure understand. That’s why I’m now over 300,000 away from the core. I hope you can enjoy building your bases again, and no one wil bother you, and same for myself.

Still going to find my purple, yellow and blue dream planet again. I do miss my critters on this one base I had made really bad. They were my favorite critters in the game.

Happy Travels FullmanKatz! To all those people who play the game to get away from real life and to just find the joy and beauty of this game to be in, I hope you all have much peace, relaxation, and solitude! <3

3 Likes

Maybe the base computer should have a password to access the ability to edit or change the base. This would allow you and friends to build together.

6 Likes

Maybe we’ll run into each other sometime…that is if you are on PS4.

1 Like

Maybe we could spend a defence chit and call on NPCs to come save us from pirates. We can’t always rely on friends to be online at the same time to help. Or maybe we can have a NPC ‘guard dog’ to chase them off :slight_smile:

By the way what happens when we get killed by a pirate (another player) does the other player get all we carry? Or does it remain in a grave to collect later?

3 Likes

This is actually a fantastic suggestion. Password protected bases and tech. This should be implemented, also perhaps they should set up anti griefing measures. For example, destroying terrain to mess with bases on it will grant an immediate or a build up in wanted status for sentinels. Players could set up security measuers such as, no one can build, friends can build, all can build etc… Mindlessly destroying = walker death squad. I have yet to be griefed however I am not too concerned. Poor soul that ever does decide to mess with me. :]

3 Likes

Okay so I’m not goin mad, it HAS disappeared recently.

Was telling a friend to make sure it was toggled on when I couldn’t see their base and they said it wasn’t in the menu but I was almost certain I had toggled it a bit shortly after downloading NEXT.

1.53 must have taken it out I guess because this was before 1.54 when I noticed it absent and convinced myself I was just remembering wrong :joy:

1 Like

Yeah this is what should happen to pirates…though it might already happen I have never attacked anyone yet so I don’t know for sure. But I do know if you attack a NPC in space you’ll be swarmed by sentinels, seems fair the same happens if you attack a player. Pirating is dangerous work. :skull_and_crossbones:

2 Likes

In my opinion, multiplayer should be an option to choose for, not turned on by default. Currently the game works exactly opposite of what I expected. Even more so considering this game started out single player and has so far always been mostly about a single player experience. Makes no sense to throw everyone into multiplayer by default.

Another thing, mentioned several times here, is the ability to choose between full on multiplayer or friends only. Every platform utilises friends lists, this includes the consoles and even PC on Steam. Only one I am not sure about is GOG, which is currently missing out on all multiplayer features. So with ‘friends’ being a core implementation for basically all platforms, why not utilise it??? Sorry, I really don’t understand why a friends only option is not implemented. An obviously wished for option, a missed opportunity by HG…

6 Likes

Honestly so many people like to assume this was always their vision but I think multiplayer mostly came about because so many people asked for it, the wrong kind of people I think sometimes. That’s why it’s so poorly implemented.

4 Likes

Multiplayer has initially not been on their mind and has become an option along the way to then decide on actually implementing it. I am fine with multiplayer if implemented well, which is currently, sadly enough, not the case. I am personally not a big fan of multiplayer, although I would not mind giving it a try with a couple of friends at times. For now I will hold off though, until they fixed issues and work it out some more. There is a lot that can be improved on, not just multiplayer by the way.

4 Likes

I think they’re simply inexperienced in that field. They’ll get better.

3 Likes

I like the multi-player. I’m still figuring out how to play at the moment and to be honest I have hardly met anyone yet. It’s been fun coming across random people ‘joining a game’. Even being killed by another was fun too, sort of. Now I shall be more wary. But that is cool too it makes the game that little bit more real. I will now be better prepared! I’ve seen ‘Logan’s Run’ I can always run away too.

3 Likes

I didn’t want this thread to be a multiplayer bashing thread…(I’m not accusing anyone of that) - But I did feel like we need to draw attention to the ease toxic type players have to be “buttheads” in the near infinite universe that we all love. Multiplayer isn’t the problem IMO, it begins with the dropin type connection and that all players are clearly marked even for players that you have never met before.

The fix for this is to remove the mark, so if you drop into someones session and want to join them at their location why not use the communicators that our ships are already equipped with…you know “Star Trek Style” Communication is sent, so and so wants to come to your location (yes/no) If they want visitors their coordinates will be sent to you, if they don’t want visitors AND you are one of the “Buttheads” then the search is on! It’ll be more of a pirating sport…(also hide and seek is possible), Using something like this system, not so dedicated “buttheads” will give up quickly.

EDIT: for Spelling

6 Likes

To tell you the truth I shared online some of my stuff I did not wanted anymore to complete ransoms, instead of selling at low cost. So not all is negative, there are positive side also.
But I agree on controlling who joins in.

Yeah, I’m on PS4. DarthTrethon was so kind to help me last night get to Essentium (sp). I am completey starting my game over from brand new and will have to work hard just like the rest of you all now to get the nice things :smiley:
People on this forum are fantastic!

3 Likes