How did you die?

Hmm… before I started actually refilling my life support, I would just die in 3 seconds and have to fly through with my ship. I’ve never been teleported back on, I tried it right after NEXT after reading that’s what happened. Just died :yum:

2 Likes

After several RightClickAndDie episodes, I finally decided to remap the plasma grenades back to the middle mouse button (clicking the mouse wheel) where they were before. It was wonderful. I felt so proud of myself as I took on Walkers, Tetrapods, and Armoured Sentinels. It was for a mission, so I was prepared, with several reloads waiting in inventory.

I triumphantly left the site and followed the ley line a monolith had given me to the portal. I had to collect a few raw materials to build a beacon to place there once I found it. As happens frequently, my build menu was a bit overeager and built a signal booster the moment I hit the up arrow from the Portable Technology menu. This used up the resources intended for the beacon. So I picked up the signal booster. . .

Fortunately, the location of my grave made a great marker to help me find the portal again.

So that’s why they changed the grenades from the middle mouse button to the right button. They reassigned the middle button to pick up objects. Some people just aren’t meant to be playing with powerful explosives.

(In the end I have again reassigned selection and launch of the secondary weaponst to mouse 4 and 5. I never press those buttons by mistake, nor for anything else. Now if only I can remember, is it the front one that selects, and the back one launches or the other way around?)

7 Likes

9 Likes

9 Likes

I’ve died 6 or 8 times in Next - all from using the plasma launcher. With three S upgrades, that weapon is powerful enough that I have to run backwards before shooting sentinels so I don’t get caught in the blast.

5 Likes

Like so many others I pulled out my grenade launcher to deal with the fast approaching monstrosities. Turns out the upgrade is quite powerful. :skull:

Have since learned that zapping the eggs, then instantly bombarding the nasties as they pop out of the ground at the nest is far less deadly…

3 Likes

Died only once of self-induced plasma death, because I forgot to put the safety in again after blowing up a door, so that was kind of well-deserved.

The way to handle the plasma launcher is to have a combat scope or a forcefield installed, and have that active as secondary weapon mode. Only switch to grenades when you need them, and switch back again afterwards. Basic firearm safety rules, really…

4 Likes

I am still having issues with my Boltcaster and now my Plasma Grenades bouncing off of doors…even though I have nothing with the ricochet effect…anyway,

that incident left me with the best epitaph ever…

9 Likes

It seems with the advent of multiplayer and the possibility of griefing HG has made it more likely for us to die by our own hand. I am now at generation 9, thank you very much right click geocannon!

4 Likes

I still haven’t corrected my missing wall bits next to my vaults in my freighter (legacy save) as I rarely access them directly.
While shuffling inventory (and only just finishing up in preparation for some extensive colony building), I fell through once again out into the cosmic nastiness.
Bzzz…bzzz…bzzz…dead :skull_and_crossbones:
Upon regeneration, I flew back and landed my current ship so I could get an empty ship to allow me to pick up my extensive grave inventory. As soon as I landed, I fell through my freighter a second time. Once again bzzz… bzzz… bzzz…dead :skull: :skull:
This 2nd time, (probably due to not having any suit inventory) no grave was created so I lost my entire inventory, never to be seen again. :scream:
Atlas passes, entire blocks of planting materials, all my refined products and a ton of building materials…all gone. :hole:

Some swearing may have occurred. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

5 Likes

Doesn’t seem too bad to me, as in survival mode, you don’t get a grave to pick up your stuff in the first place… :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Another entry for me. Hadn’t died since I got ‘ambushed’ by the game taking my ship away at the very start when NEXT launched and putting poison spewing plants in the caves all on a brutally hot starting planet. Well I got another surprise today when 1.6 came out. My home planet, nice, beautiful and peaceful was easy enough to traverse before but today I loaded up and got hit by some of the most aggressive creatures i’ve ever seen in the game. I got hit 4 times in about 2 seconds killing me totally blind siding me. By creatures that had once been playful and nice prior to 1.6. It makes it much harder for me to walk from a to b now because they are so ruthless! I may have to move planets! :smile:

6 Likes

I agree especially when they occurs in packs. It makes night time walks less than peaceful. At least on my world the sentinels seem to shrug off the disposal of predators now.

1 Like

My last save Point was in the anomaly on experimental, apparently on reloading it wasn’t at the exact same spot. I found myself underneath the landing pad. Lost my inventory as it’s in the middle of the anomaly.

1 Like

Same.
Partway through a farm base on a lush world & suddenly my local creatures have become psychotic headbutters. It doesn’t matter that I’m under my base. WHACK!!
Kind of embarrassing…I had guests over too :grin:
Haven’t actually killed me yet but watch this space…

4 Likes

Yes! The aggressive critters are now more dangerous than a pack of sentinels. Was engaging in the weekly event, taking on 4 sentinels at once…no problem…then suddenly, 6…yes 6 critters are attacking me relentlessly…almost died. No more peaceful strolls on my paradise planet.

4 Likes

Do they also attack the guests?

2 Likes

Everybody. No exceptions.
My elite crew of fellow travellers were getting beaten left, right and centre.

4 Likes

No such luck for me. Sentinels are on me if I dare try to defend myself against an aggressor. I got caught in a death-loop at one point. It autosaved me with an attacker head butting me. After a few times getting hit i decided to load a manual save. It certainly makes me more cautious going on foot after that buried tech.

1 Like

I have to say, I’ve become used to a very different style of play.

There was a time when, if you killed a sentinel quickly enough, it wouldn’t call backup. The confrontation would be over. That’s no longer the case. They will call in reinforcements, regardless.

But the “S” class upgrades to your suit and weapons now make a much bigger difference. With upgraded suit shields and life support, sentinel attacks do very little damage. Even the walkers don’t stomp you like they used to. You can afford to take your time (to some extent).

The plasma launcher will take out a drone or a dog in a single shot. It will often take out two drones, if they’re close to each other.

An upgraded boltcaster is slightly slower, but won’t kill the user. Still very useful.

The upgraded mining laser turns predators into green goo in fractions of a second.

Once the sentinels are on you, they won’t give up until they lose you. That’s virtually impossible in an exocraft, but fairly easy on foot - and you can always dive into a building, or dig a hole.

Just remember, NEVER fly into space while the sentinels are searching for you. If you do, you end up with an unwinnable battle against the entire sentinel nation.

But even if that happens, just fly back to the planet, land , get out of your ship, let the sentinels start searching again, get back in your ship, take off, and cruise around the planet’s atmosphere until the sentinel search ends.

It’s different, but it’s entirely survivable. In some ways, it’s easier than it used to be.

6 Likes