Help a fellow Traveller

Good point, and exactly the thing I would like to avoid. I have the coords and have converted that to a portal address so I could travel either way.

The coords come from a video on youtube and no warnings were given about borking someones base…

Maybe I’ll wait and see what Next brings first, perhaps those giant rings will be activated and we can portal jump with our ships!

1 Like

@Oshoryu @TravelEcho
Step through the portal & look in all directions for a beacon (it will still show if it is off planet). Checking at night limits the chance of not seeing it.
No beacon, no base-share base to disturb.
Safe to proceed…presumably.

2 Likes

To be blunt, it is foolish to set up a base in a system where a known and rare item/upgrade can be found. It should be obvious to anyone that the area gets heavy traffic, and that the base will likely be lost. That’s their fault.

Besides, if you don’t want to disturb an existing base, can’t you just go offline first? Claim the new base, grab the item, unclaim the base, and then go back online? Or does that not work?

2 Likes

Oshoryu, if you’re going through that much effort for a new ship, make sure it’ll actually be an upgrade. How many slots does your current ship have? There are three high-capacity inventory hauler models: ball-wings (as long as the balls don’t have extra panels attached outside), box-wings (resemble air-conditioners), and fan-wings (triangular wings with hover-fans). If the ship you like doesn’t have one of these wing styles then you might improve class stats, but it could be a downgrade in inventory space.

1 Like

You know, that sounds like a really good way to do it. :+1:

Sounds like some testing may be in order --unless someone already has tested it?

Guys, do we already have Exocraft races? with checkpoints and everything?

1 Like

@arpoja
Yeah. As part of your base building, you can build a Race Initiator and add a bunch of waypoints for visitors to roar around.
EDIT but you must be very careful NOT to exceed the base max% or you can potentialy corrupt your base save file.

2 Likes

Holly Billy! I wasn’t aware we already had such a cool feature!

1 Like

See edit in previous post @arpoja

1 Like

It’s cool mate, I’ve got this. I’m well aware of how upgrading works and those that know me here, know my beloved Hauler has been my workhorse since before Pathfinder.

One does not simply just replace a ship with that much sentimentality with just anything.

This is my current C-Class Hauler; The Indigo Rain.

This is the proposed repla… upgrade

As you can see, same colour, same cab, but upgraded wings and an extended fuselage so it will be the same ship… but upgraded. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

So @Oshoryu: you are going to do a chassis & body stretch to relocate your cargo capacity internally plus adding a full hawk-wing upgrade, with added rotor-thrusters. Very nice.
I get you.

I used a similar attitude when I ‘upgraded’ so I get it. It’s hard to just walk away from an old favourite ship.

2 Likes

I got a pretty decent one in my survival playthrough for 12 million but that was before the last few patches so I dunno if that’s even possible to find anymore. Haven’t seen one below forty million on my current playthrough

2 Likes

I found a smaller 19 slot S class freighter for 80 million.
Was actually more user friendly than the massive dome nose or triangular freighters: being smaller, the approach to the docking bay from below was easier & there were no structures across the upper deck areas.
At present, freighters are just big mobile garage bases so until you truly need the extra storage or giant warp range of an S class, pretty much any freighter will do. An extra hauler will make up for any storage deficit and any upgraded exotic will give you a great range for local use.
Happy hunting.

3 Likes

I see the ones you’re talking about, I was browsing images in google, I guess it’s those tube-shaped ones for example? They are easily recognizable.

Yup, we were discussing with a friend the advantages of having one, and besides extra storage, and a small farm ( small farm yea?), it’s cool having one, but yet not really usefull. I have one on my creative save, but I don’t play on creative anymore, unless if it’s to create a new base and duplicate it in normal later.

So far, I haven’t seen that either. They’re pretty expansive! 12M?? Oh my! I guess that no longer exists

I am busy trying to figure out how to craft the Mind-Arc, craft the Atlas Stones, expand my exo-suit with G/T/C, at the same time always looking around for crashed ships, learning how to farm and trying to find the flowers that my homeslice expert farmer nominee asks me to… and all that set with side quests! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Hey @Argh, I’m wondering if you found a workaround for the glitched harvesters?

One additional piece of info here: I took down the three gas harvesters near my base and spent the whole day today putting together the resources to rebuild them.

I was holding my breath, but all three worked fine for three hours. Then I remembered that though I had saved frequently I hadn’t re-logged (from mode select) for all that time. I was worried about the game possibly crashing.

When I’d gathered full stacks from them for the third time, I powered them up again from full stacks, went into my base, saved and logged to mode select and back in. Immediately I noticed that the lights had gone from green to red. It had only been a few minutes since I filled them. I checked and sure enough the interaction icons were blank.

The only way I’m going to be able to collect enough gas is to rebuild them again (so time-consuming and expensive!) and then stay in game without logging to mode select --basically baby-sit the harvesters until I have enough gas to finish my project.

This is so discouraging. It is going to take days to gather more materials to make the harvesters.

Honestly, I know we all would like to make our own stuff, and use the gas harvesters as they were intended. But sometimes they don’t work properly. This is a bug that needs fixing.

But I know people who’ve given up playing the game because of this bug. And that’s just self-destructive.

OK, the gas harvesters are unreliable. But if you need gas products, all you have to do is travel to wealthy systems. Set yourself down at a planetary trading post, and you will find ships coming in selling 750 Radon, 600 Nitrogen, 700 Sulphurine. And it’s cheap. Compared to the profits you can make from manufactured gas products, they’re giving the stuff away.

If you’re having trouble harvesting gas, just buy the stuff. Don’t spoil your game for one little bug.

8 Likes

Good advice. I have been buying stuff from passing ships but my system offer such low stacks… I think I will follow your advice and park in a wealthy Trading post for awhile. I hadn’t realised they would have such large stacks. Thanks! :heart:

And also thanks for the advice about following the blue lines on the map. I got where I needed to go fairly quickly.

The people helping on this thread are pretty awesome.

4 Likes

Yes, I’ve made great progress recently! I finally found a free desktop json editor that doesn’t choke on the ~25MB decrypted saves. Being able to see the data in a nice tree format (instead of a huge text file) made it a lot easier to figure things out.

I discovered all the “maintenance” data appears to be stored across two different sections. The first is an array of location data for each “interaction”, which point by index # to a second array that contains the actual lock/charge data. I don’t know exactly when the bug is triggered, but at some point when these lists are getting full, any additions to the list (not just superconductive locks) appear to rearrange the entries out of sync. The first list ends up pointing to the wrong entries - devices get linked to the wrong, incompatible locks! As you just confirmed, this doesn’t immediately occur while playing, just when it tries to save, so everything seems fine until the next time you reload.

I’ve experimented a lot in the last few days and have some potential solutions. The easiest appears to be to just wipe out these entire maintenance sections, which resets all locks/charges. I need to run more thorough playtests (my plans for tonight), but initial results look very promising. All build data is stored in other sections, so constructed devices remain intact, they’re just emptied. Portals need to be fully reactivated. An interesting note, hydroponic planters don’t seem to save charge data anywhere… guess that’s why they recharge themselves on reloads.

If further testing doesn’t uncover any critical unintended consequences, then this could finally be a solution. One caution though, even if this reliably works, I don’t yet know how to turn this into a simple fix for others to use.

5 Likes

That sounds very encouraging! You’ve worked incredibly hard on this. I for one appreciate it.
Would you mind sharing a link to that json editor you found? Perhaps @Malveka and I can continue to help test your results.

1 Like

Sure, I’m using nmssavetool to decrypt/re-encrypt the saves, Releases · matthew-humphrey/nmssavetool · GitHub , version 2.0.1-beta-4 is the latest compatible with Atlas Rises. And here’s the json editor: JSONedit - JSON editor , 0.9.29 is the latest stable version (download link near the bottom).

Naturally backup your current saves before doing anything, I even only work on a copy in a separate dir to play it safe. Large saves can take a little time to process in JSONedit but it hasn’t failed on me yet. The relevant sections in the save are:

• root->PlayerStateData->StoredInteractions->[7]->Interactions
  • root->PlayerStateData->MaintenanceInteractions

I’ve deleted all except the first [0] entry under each of these sections (quick way - right-click on the [0] and select: Delete all siblings->after node). StoredInteractions->[7]->Interactions will rebuild itself with 1000 blank entries when you resave in-game, MaintenanceInteractions will just grow as you play.

It actually should be possible to retain the state of portals/harvesters/miners. They’re not hard to identify in MaintenanceInteractions (search ^MAINT_PORTAL, and ^MAINT_FUEL1). However, it’s much more work to find their corresponding StoredInteractions entries, delete only the other nodes, and relink the correct entries between the sections. Probably not worth the effort.

1 Like