Games and Game-Related old and new

I have been using the wall plug that comes with it. Not sure about a rechargeable battery source. I do not have one to try. I suppose if it works with a C port, it might work. Would it charge the Deck fast enough while in use, I don’t know. The wall plug charges quickly.

1 Like

Somewhat related to our current anticipation, I guess…

5 Likes

This is a single player survival no combat game where you are terraforming a dead desolate planet. I downloaded the free demo from Steam and have been enjoying th4e heck out of it! So much so that I bought the full game ($20US --still in early access I believe) and haven’t played it yet, wanting to see how far I get in the demo.

Your only enemies are your dwindling air, water and food supply And maybe a few earth-shattering meteor storms). It reminds me of what I thought NMS was going to be like waaaaay back even before it was published. Managing those three things is tricky while you mine the resources you need to craft your base and the machinery you need to terraform the planet, but if careful, it can be accomplished.

I find the mining/crafting to be uncomplicated and satisfying. I have played the demo just over 8 hours and have been so absorbed that I forgot to take screenshots for most of my playtime! I did remember a couple of times though:

One of the crafting interfaces

Wish I could have got a video the meteor storms, but I’m sure there are some out there. They are very dramatic. You feel like your habitat is going to explode around you, but it is very sturdy. :slight_smile:

Have a look, try out the demo, and let me know what you think.

Enjoy!

7 Likes

Thank you for the recommendation. Liked the demo and bought the early release.

2 Likes

So glad you are enjoying it! :heart:

I installed the full game and found that it simply continues your save if you want, so nothing is lost!

I’m enjoying the heck out of it. I had to move my base to higher ground because I realised that if the ice melts… 0.0

2 Likes

Ive been thinking about trying it…but the graphics and UI…look…bad. At least from the screen shots I have seen. Bases and stuff look good. How do you find them in actual game? I know it is still early days for them.

2 Likes

The planet is pretty desolate at first. I have only just got to the lakes part. Looks good to me.Some of the lighting effects are pretty cool. But then I don’t require a lot of realism in games. I like the kind of graphic novel look of this one.

5 Likes
5 Likes

Not a game but can play games. I think I want one
https://www.bee-link.com/catalog/product/index?id=289

4 Likes
4 Likes

I have been following ‘Worlds of the Future’ for quite a while now and I think it is great seeing them Nominated for the IGN Rogue Jam competition. They are down to the final 3, who will be the winner?!

Edit: Thought winner was chosen next week, I was wrong…

1 Like

Uhm… They announced the winner in the video you posted. It’s not moonmen. Kind of a pity, that game could really have done some polishing up with that money…
Should still be good publicity, though.

2 Likes

Sapiens Early Access Trailer

2 Likes

The Planet Crafter early release update V 0.4.011 - “Caves & Crater” is available on Steam.

3 Likes

Anyone else here play The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe?

I have to say it was pretty entertaining and it got me wanting more, in a good way.

5 Likes

I played the original release for a bit. I found it quite funny, but I’m not that much of a narrative explorer…

Speaking of narrative exploration, though, I played this lately, and it is beautiful:

https://www.fellowtraveller.games/citizen-sleeper

It hits a real sweet spot between exploratory rpg and interactive novel, and the writing is top notch. It’s relatively short, but being the compulsive dawdler that I am I needed almost 12 hours in my first playthrough, but I did almost all the stories in that time (which, retroactively analysing, isn’t quite the way it’s meant to be played, I think…).
Still, they were some really good 12 hours. it does absolutely reach the emotional impact of a good novel.

6 Likes

I was (still am) a big fan of the original Stanley Parable. The paid-for release had a good balance between Davey Wreden’s dark vision, and William Pugh’s exuberant madness.

Following the commercial success of TSP, Davey Wreden seems to have experienced some kind of mental breakdown, and disappeared from the scene for a long time. William Pugh used his share of the money to found Crows Crows Crows, a very experimental games studio.

I signed up for Crows Crows Crows mailing list when the studio was first formed, and I have followed their progress since. I can’t imagine anything they have produced has made any money, and all the while they have been burning through the cash from The Stanley Parable.

For a couple of years I’ve been thinking “Crows are going to go bust at this rate - they’ll have to do a remake of Stanley to make some cash” - and what do you know? Here it is.

I haven’t bought it yet, but I may do. William Pugh certainly has the talent, but I suspect only looming bankruptcy has forced him to adopt the discipline.

4 Likes

I haven’t looked at the new TSP yet, but I enjoyed the old one. It made me look into “Dr Langeskov, the tiger, and the terrible cursed emerald: a whirlwind heist”, which amused me for an hour or so (I went through twice, very slowly). It’s very short, and anything you watch/read about it will be a spoiler, so be careful.

If you download this free game via ich.io you can donate them money: Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, And The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist by Crows Crows Crows

All I can say is that it’s less a game and more a funny 15-min satire story about the adventure game genre. The title, the description, and the reviews you read are playing along, they are the genre being parodied.

And the voice acting is just perfect. :joy:

4 Likes

I’ll just leave this here, shall I?

2 Likes

Hmph. Kind of a bit of a semantic discussion there, which I usually don’t waste too much time on. Things mean what they mean.

The thing is, I didn’t even put citizen sleeper into the cyberpunk genre. There’s some elements of course, but all in all it seemed to me to be right at home within the area of science fiction that I’m not sure even has a name, I call it the “new new wave” for lack of anything better.
This subgenre of science fiction is mostly defined by attempting to imagine the impact of future technology on culture, while classical science fiction just reimagines contemporary culture with spaceships and laser guns. So the whole thing, in my opinion, is a deeper issue of stagnation in science fiction in general, although possibly most egregious in the subgenres of cyberpunk and space opera.

While on the literary side things have been moving on for quite some time (I mean, the first revelation space novel is now over 20 years old, and house of suns is even older, for crying out loud…), there have not yet been any high-profile attempts to follow up on this development in games and movies.

So really, the whole time playing citizen sleeper, I did not think of William Gibson even once, while I was thinking of Alastair Reynolds all the time…

3 Likes