Future Update Speculations

Maybe it doesn’t consider them a threat because they are not aware of the real nature of the universe and the atlas… Or maybe they are. I don’t know, I was sick the last 3 days, I’ve barely started the expedition, so I have no idea what it’s leading up to.
The term “blight” for the pirate faction struck me as an odd choice, though. Traditionally, in more trans-human / AI heavy science fiction, the term blight is reserved for an evil/insane AI potentially infecting entire regions of a galaxy (think of it as a “God” version of a computer virus).

6 Likes

…and the ‘Travellers’ are more than willing to join them…making me wonder if the pirates are also Travellers (like us) but rather than staying solo, are united in their rebellion towards the Atlas & what it represents.
This train of thought then makes me put on my tin foil hat & question the duplicity of the term ‘pirate’.
One is the marauder we take them for… but in the context of computer programs & simulations, a pirate is an illegal copy.
If Travellers (which are all essentially the same thing), all become pirates eventually, then doesn’t that sort of mean that the Travellers are pirate copies of an original Traveller who have become militia in some sort of underground army against the Atlas.
:thinking:
My brain hurts now.

9 Likes

Sean has pinned the Outlaws post on his Twitter :eyes:
What could this mean for updates going forward?

4 Likes

You mean in the end we’re all Gav?

Weirder things have happened in science fiction…

3 Likes

Ooooo. An intriguing thought.

4 Likes

I like how there is 12 pirate factions per faction. I want to have crew from
Brethren of Grah or maybe Sentinel Hunters lol

In addition to the Blight. They seem to only be part of the expedition. Too bad really…though they may pop up again. But I honestly think they are likely a one off.

4 Likes

What are? The pirates, or specific pirate factions?

I don’t know about pirate factions, but pirates, pirate systems, and the whole thing about pirates opposing the Atlas, are very much part of the main game now.

5 Likes

The Blight are a faction of pirates. The Game technically lists 36 possible factions (12 for each species) , or at least there are 36 named factions. The Blight are also pirates, but just another faction. So I don’t think there is a central pirate authority or anything…yet anyway…

4 Likes

The “Voice of Freedom”, accessed through hacked space station cores, exists in the main game. That appears to be some sort of pirate central authority.

5 Likes

yes but they don’t appear to be connected to the Blight. To me The Voice of Freedom doesn’t feel like a specific single entity. More like a shared idea. Or perhaps you are right and they are all separate cells operating under under the voice, but is it your thinking that the Blight is part of the voice? Cause that’s not my take.

I mean the cape Earned specifically says “stolen from notorious pirate faction The Blight”
There are also numerous examples of the specifically referred to as a pirate faction.

Also one of the new missions:
UI_PIRATE_RIVALS_BOARD_OBJ
Hunt and Destroy a Pirate

UI_PIRATE_RIVALS_DESC
A ‘dispute’ has arisen between rival pirate factions. Events have escalated to armed conflict.!NEWLINE!!NEWLINE!Now, a prize has been put on the head of %NAME%<>, leader of the %FACTION%<>. Their ship may be found near a floating wreck that serves as their base of operations.

There is also a UI_KEY:
UI_PIRATE_BOARD_FACTION
The Voice of Freedom

What is not clear is if the Voice of Freedom is just another faction of Pirates, which I think it is. It just happens they are the largest and most organized?

But to me it is clear the Blight and Voice of Freedom are not the same thing.

6 Likes

Ah. OK, I will explain a little more.

You said:

It wasn’t clear to me from your post whether you were saying that pirates in general, or specific pirate factions, were only part of the expedition. So I asked.

I also said that I didn’t know whether specific pirate factions were only found in the expedition, but that pirates in general, pirate systems, and pirate opposition to the Atlas, were now part of the main game, and not only confined to the expedition.

I never mentioned the Blight. So far, I don’t have enough information to decide what they are.

4 Likes

It wasn’t clear to me from your post whether you were saying that pirates in general, or specific pirate factions, were only part of the expedition. So I asked.

should have said 12 factions, per race. ** No wonder confused.

I was referring to interacting with the other factions, outside of the Expeditions…in regular mode. Excluding the Blight , since the Blight is also a separate faction but that the Blight is only part of the Expedition. Pirates have been around since start, The “Voice of Freedom” pirate faction and pirate systems etc are part of update. Sorry if not clearer. As personally I think of it as a single faction of pirates, of which there are many.

I also said that I didn’t know whether specific pirate factions were only found in the expedition, but that pirates in general, pirate systems, and pirate opposition to the Atlas, were now part of the main game, and not only confined to the expedition.

There are tons of separate factions, they are not a team. They fight with each other. The only faction specific to the Expedition is the Blight.

I never mentioned the Blight. So far, I don’t have enough information to decide what they are.

They are a pirate faction. Its pretty clear. Whether they become something more outside of the expedition, who knows…but right now they are just a pirate faction.

4 Likes
3 Likes

All this pirate talk makes me feel adventurous (and I have a sudden thirst for rum) but prefer to keep both my eyes.

2 Likes

hmmmm Rum…not my favorite but after the work week I have had / having it sounds good.

2 Likes

Normally I don’t drink rum. OTOH, a local Mexican restaurant makes a Mojito that is out of this world (the NMS tie-in :smiley: )

3 Likes

Not sure sure why I just realized this:

Those who wanted to continue the latest expedition save cant go back to Euclid anymore without a work-around. Further reason to believe that a new streamlined method of being able to travel between universes could happen.

3 Likes

? So if you have a base etc, you cant travel back to Euclid?

2 Likes

Are featured bases not working? Or is the anomaly off limits at the start? Those are pretty standard ways to galaxy hop now.

2 Likes

I remember the Anomoly is not available when you first start the expedition. After a system jump or 2, it opens. The base computer is also not available at first. This felt deliberate. So I lived in my Freighter and went with the story flow. I love the new Galaxy we are taken to and intend on staying. I hope @Jupiter.blues is correct. I would love to see a better way to jump between galaxies.

3 Likes