Future Update Speculations

Is it normal that I am halfway to the center of the Euclid galaxy without dying? This is my first time playing it.

4 Likes

In creative mode, you canā€™t die. In normal mode, itā€™s very difficult to die without being actively stupid and reckless. In survival mode, itā€™s unusual to die once you get off your starting planet if youā€™re not careless and donā€™t take risks.

So yes, not dying is kinda normal for this game.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Zephyr ! As @jedidia just stated, it depends on what mode you are playing in. Expedition 7 has been a challenge for some. Normal mode is not very dangerous though.

2 Likes

I might just be outta the loop, I havenā€™t been to many abandoned stations recently but, I just noticed this detail when landing on one today. I donā€™t remember them having unique marker names and ship welcome screens. I wonder when these were addedā€¦

5 Likes

I noticed that too and do not recall it either. Interesting that is says welcome home.

5 Likes

News Alert!
Apparently HG made a bundle on Steam temporarily yesterday, then hid it from the steam store. Itā€™s still linked with NMS on SteamDB though. Internal also updated 2 hours ago.

6 Likes

Even funnier, it says ā€œWelc0me home?ā€ with a h4cker style number in it. If you are the hacker, you are home now, any one elseā€¦ question mark. :grin:
Some of the abandoned stations are now of course occupied by pirates, I need to pay closer attention, maybe they say ā€œAhoy mateyā€ now? :wink:

6 Likes

And
2022-06-09 22;32;22

4 Likes

Thanks for the research screenshots :slight_smile: I remote-diagnose this station withā€¦ being infested with travellers! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

Donā€™t know if SM tweets are hinting or not. He just RTd this one

4 Likes

Every time he tweetsā€¦I get nervous lol

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1539945096522653698
he deleted the second one???

Sean Murray
@NoMansSky
Ā·
3m
Sentinels brought a fresh focus on combat, but also added a more balanced feel to exploration
??

Something being announced???

10 Likes

Interesting that thereā€™s no emoji this timeā€¦ Their more uncanny techniques usually only happen during a summer update revealā€¦ One can hope.

2 Likes

nowā€¦he stopsā€¦and we waitā€¦ Sean you bastard!
Announce it already, switch update, 4.0 what ever it isā€¦do it!
argh

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: NMS on Switch October 7

Switch release date confirmed. Please follow the Switch thread above for more info :wink:
There will be a physical release on PS5 at the same time.

1 Like

So! With this recent Switch launch date announcement, Iā€™ve seen a lot of discussion regarding Cross Save capabilities for No Manā€™s Sky, so I thought Iā€™d throw my ring in and discuss the possibilities!

There are a few technical details for a Cross Save system to work. It boils down to A) The game clientā€™s serialisation of data and B) The Serverā€™s capability of relaying that data.

No Manā€™s Sky has (to my knowledge) the exact same codebase across platforms, to the point where PS4 and Xbox graphics overrides exist and can be toggled on PC. This indicates that the gameā€™s base save format (JSON) is the same across devices.

If this is true, then the game engine cam very easily deserialize a save file to raw JSON and convert it to any other platform specific format!

Now onto B. From what I and a team of very knowledgeable players of the game have discovered about Hello Gamesā€™servers and networking API (More info on that coming soon), it is absolutely possible for the servers to send and receive JSON data.

Take for example the Expedition files, which are sent in their entirety in JSON format through the servers. These files are pretty massive, so HGā€™s server infrastructure is quite strong.

Now, weā€™ve seen from the twitch campaigns that Hello Games can tie specific platform accounts to a twitch ID on a backend server. Using what we know about the authentication system right now, it could definitely be possible for HG to link other platform IDs together.

This would allow for one game client (with a synced ID of another platform) to deserialize itā€™s file format to raw JSON, for the server to then reserialize it to the target platform, and send it to the target platform when needed.

The reason why I think HG hasnā€™t attempted this before is that their server system was most likely developed for quick data storage and retrieval. The recent expedition cloud update and community missions have improved on their server infrastructure, but it still runs a lot of basic functions.

I do believe that HG could easily implement cross save functionality, and as theyā€™ve hinted at better moderation tools in the near past, they may indeed be working on a serverside upgrade which could include cross save functionality.

4 Likes

It would be a rather weird server if it couldnā€™tā€¦ :rofl:

4 Likes

Hmmā€¦ I may be tripping but, I swear when I was looking at the trailer playlist earlier today, it listed 27 videos, and now it shows 28 with 1 hidden video, and an ā€œUpdated Todayā€ tag :thinking:

5 Likes

6 Likes

hmmmm the game is a foot

3 Likes