Future Update Speculations

Here in the US, there was a lot of Jubilee watching. There were also comments about how ironic it is since there was this little thing called The Revolution. But, WW2 changed that and forged a dual superpower. Most people I know would like to know the Queen and are intrigued by the monarchy. However, the Sussexes just don’t count…you can have them back. :laughing:

4 Likes

No, no… That would be bad manners. You’re welcome to them.

4 Likes

No to all that. She’s just THE queen. You know, the one you hear about in the media, the one who’se family could still effortlessly make a fortune with reality TV, the one the Papparazzis are always after, the one that even in Switzerland manages to be a fundamental part of the income of every soap-and-drama celebrity magazine… There’s just no news stories about any other queens, so she gets to be the one.

4 Likes

Same here, was about to write, she is just “the queen whose face I remember”. The others are less visible (unless you read magazines).

But she’s not my queen. I don’t care whose queen she is, because I assume she doesn’t do anything but smile and wave. :innocent:

3 Likes

This is a really good example of why I asked the question. You say “No”, but the rest of your answer belies your statement. Presumably the magazines and TV are interested because there’s a mass market. Lots of people must be interested, or the media wouldn’t cover the stories.

You may not be interested in The Queen, but it’s clear from your reply that many Swiss people are.

I grew up in a monarchy. The Royal Family have always been there. They become like part of the furniture - I don’t notice them. I don’t have strong feelings about them either way - we have a functioning democracy, and the existence of a monarchy doesn’t seem to adversely affect that. Yes, they get some public money, but most of it gets paid straight back out again as wages to the staff of their various properties. Most of what they appear to own doesn’t actually belong to them - it’s held in trust for the Nation. Elizabeth can’t pop out and sell the crown jewels because she’s short of cash.

I seldom think about The Queen. As I said in my original post, it surprised me to think that people in other countries did - and it intrigued me that they might think of her as “The Queen”.

4 Likes

Again, a good illustration of what’s bothering me. You’re quite correct -

Her role is purely symbolic. She has no political power. Existing and smiling and waving are what she does. And that’s the thought wriggling round half-formed in my head - If people want a Queen, does it matter whose Queen it is? That’s really the concept I’m struggling with.

The Queen has a symbolic role. The thing about symbols is they only have a function inside your own head. If I say “Queen”, and you think of Elizabeth, then she’s your symbol too.

You say:

But then you say:

But as far as the symbolism goes, that’s exactly who “your” Queen is. The one you think of.

2 Likes

The question was worded unfortunately, then. If you’d have asked “are people in other countries interested in the queen”, then the answer is clearly yes. However, you asked whether anybody would consider her “their” queen, or whether she was an important symbol, the answer to both of which I would still give as no.

She’s a celebrity, definitely, but that’s all there is to it. I’m not sure Switzerland has any monarchists, seeing as we’re about the only country in Europe that didn’t have a king since the fall of rome… People interested in the queen are usually the same people that are also interested in all the other celebrities and their drama, so I’m not sure there’s much symbolism to it either.

The queen has a bit of a special standing in that she’s more of a constant than other celebrities. Singers and actors may rise to popularity and fall into irrelevance within years. The queen… just stays the queen.

Well, if you put it like that, then I guess I’d have to agree… But there’d be a lot more required for me to call somebody my queen than just remembering her face, though.

2 Likes

Possibly true. I look at the situation as someone who has lived all their life in a constitutional monarchy. I can imagine how other people feel, but I don’t know. I don’t feel it.

You say that Switzerland doesn’t have monarchists - well neither do we, really. I don’t know of anybody outside of a psychiatric unit who actually wants to be ruled by a monarch. What the Queen represents for us is difficult to pin down.

You say that the Queen is a celebrity, but that she has a special status among celebrities. Again, that pretty much agrees with my experience here.

To put the question differently, then:

The Queen is not the ruler of the UK. She has no political power. She does, however, clearly fulfil some kind of role in many people’s lives. Are people in other countries “adopting” her to fulfil the same role in their lives?

2 Likes

For me, she is The Queen because she has been there so long. There is an admiration and respect that she has earned. For 70 years she has been a symbol of steadfastness, calm in the face of dark times, a respected voice because she sacrificed any kind of life she could have had for a life lived for the people. She has carried out that role with calm, dignity, poise and charm. She carries history with her. She has lasted when others have been swept away by tides of change. She is The Queen. I doubt that any other will ever measure up. Will Charles get that kind of respect? I kind of doubt it. He will be respected, but not on the same level as she is. William and Kate will usher in a new style of Monarchy. It will never be the same.
We humans feel a sense of security, I think, when we see something that has survived time, war and change. The Queen represents that. Besides, I love all those pastel hats and dresses. :grin:

5 Likes

I’m afraid that’s impossible for me two answer on two grounds: A) I would first have to comprehend what role she fills exactly in peoples lives in the UK, and B) I would have to comprehend people’s obsession with celebrities in the first place. I’m not sure if I would consider them “fulfilling a role” in anybody’s life, more like being a drug some people need. I guess you could call that a role…
In any case, I don’t know pretty much nothing about the queen, as I don’t know pretty much nothing about any celebrity. I still call her “The Queen” though, because… well, that’s apparently what we call her here… :thinking:

3 Likes

Ah well, thank you for your contribution so far, anyway.

Exactly. Why???

1 Like

I think the automatic title of The Queen comes from the fact that she’s the only Queen with that much coverage. Over here, the average person doesn’t know much about other constitutional monarchs.

Despite being a former British colony and a commonwealth member, we do not accept the Queen as a head of state, but still call her “The” Queen. Thats why I think the entire role being a celebrity sort of thing is what makes her stick as “The” Queen and not The British Queen.

3 Likes

Well, as mentioned, she’s really the only queen anybody knows about. There’s no competition for the title…

3 Likes

You could also ask, how do you refer to “her” in your mother tongue?

I only call her “the queen” when I speak/write English, because that’s how I learned it from my English speaking colleagues. In my mother tongue I call them, the queen of England, the queen of Denmark, the queen of Sweden, etc.

3 Likes

Actually, that’s a great point. When refering to her in Swiss german, we would indeed say “The queen of england”, or we would say the actualy english word Queen but with a german article (“die Queen”). Or, also fairly common, we’d call her Lisi. Or “Lisi of england” if there may be ambiguity of which elisabeth is meant :laughing:
(In case it needs mentioning, yes, “Lisi” is a common nickname for women bearing the name Elisabeth).

3 Likes

Is this still “future update speculation” ? :wink:

7 Likes

Yes. Next addition is either a royal carriage or a crown styled helmet. A Gek as a footman is what I am really hoping for.

5 Likes

ummm… So if I understand this thread, what you all are saying is next update will introduce “Royal Freighters” to go with royal/exotic ships, weapons…

6 Likes

Or perhaps even more enemies, constantly attacking to royally mess with and frustrate us?

7 Likes

Thank you to everyone who contributed ideas and comments to my little enquiry. It’s been enlightening, if not conclusive.

And @Clemm is right. We should get the thread back on topic. If I have any more queries regarding royalty, I’ll open a new thread.

5 Likes