Future Update Speculations

Journals of Story/Lore

Being able to carry around a journal of recorded stories and various lore would be a simplification, as I would no longer need to screenshot all such interactions. Sounds great! I mean, even though I mostly gave up on that a long time ago, I still find myself screen capturing expedition lore, and other times just not bothering. I never did find a way to organize all that mess. Somewhat, I guess. But not really. Too much work.

I don’t see anything wrong with the “trickle-feed style of acquiring lore,” even if “half the time the bit of lore you learned was caught up in theatrical delivery,” so long as I can sit back and read it in a book later. :open_book:

I would also like to be able to go back and read frigate logs (expedition debriefings), even if some of the lines may get to be a repeat over time. Maybe that could be in a separate journal. :open_book:

Otherwise, I only remember words and scattered fragments, Hirk and Nal or something. - Oh yeah…

Edit:

Just one more thing…

Summary

If the journal UI was an actual book, (I know that sounds unnecessary, but) that would increase immersion for me so much, to be able to flip through its many pages and actually hear the sweeping sounds of each page turning, that slight crinkle with a subtle crack. We may have screen readers and iPads and Kindles and smartphones and NMS may be a very ‘retro-meets-tech’ savvy kind of universe, but there’s nothing like a good book. I like the smell of it, I like the look of it, and I especially like the sound of it. I used to pick up books and magazines in stores and flip through their pages just to smell that good scent of fresh literature. Why? Well, I guess it started when I was a kid, with Dr. Seuss books, Berenstain Bears and even school literature had a different sent to it, such as the school library.

Of course, I don’t know how they would recreate the sense of smell in the game, besides perhaps our player-character slightly grinning and letting off a delightful sigh, “ahh,” when we 1st pick up a good book. Unless of course it is a scary and ominous book of unspeakable mentions, :ghost: well are they to shutter with a somewhat crinkled brow? - Sure thing, why not!

It’s the same thing with paint, as well as ink, or pencil, crayon, chalk and all other physical mediums, I still prefer to grab some clay and mold with it. But do I? :thinking: Well…

Digital has them beat in 1 respect: copy, paste and delete; as well as undo and redo; and it cuts back on a cluttered living/work space. Okay, so maybe digital wins in a few respects, but it still can’t replace that feeling, (and even the way my work turns out, for that matter). So I don’t think it hurts for HG to attempt such an immersion. Maybe our exosuit inventory menu UI could feature book icons, that upon being clicked, beautifully unfold as they open into a gorgeous display of old parchment pages bound in a leather binding. Ah yes, I would open that even if it were only to smell it and stare at its pretty pages… to run my fingers over its beautiful cover and that crocodile spine… I may even read it.

Edit:

What if old tattered books, complete books and parchment pages from books, (and even scrolls, stone tablets, metal plates, photographs, anomalous who-knows-what, and/or etc.), could be found scattered across the universe? These could be quite rare. What if we could study and even read these artifacts.

What if these were books once left by long forgotten travelers? - (That traveler could be you.) :scream_cat:

What if these old relics featured a series of incoherent ramblings and fragments of semi-tangible texts, due to their sheer age, rough handlings, weathering and/or environmental distresses? — Complete procedural stories and lore could also be found, where each book features content unrelated to fundamental story/lore, but just makes for a fun read. Such books could feature fantastical stories of otherworldly adventure, or contain love stories, diaries, expeditions, random notes, and/or combinations of anything else otherwise. — Some documents (books and/or pages) could be another way of collecting fundamental story/lore (ie. core NMS story/lore about the Gek, Vy’Keen, Korvax, and/or etc.), with pages containing a single tangible line (or 2-3, or more), and books containing a random assortment of even more story/lore.

Granted, some books could be entirely incoherent, such as badly burnt, rotted, worm infested or otherwise damaged. Or, written in another tongue, and translated by learning languages, whether alien or human or whatever otherwise. “Here’s shouting at you, knowledge stones.” Of course, I’ve always thought that knowledge stones should look more like small monument stones with some ancient writing on them. Wouldn’t that make more sense than plain ol’ repetitive black cylindrical stones everywhere? Should we replace these with scattered books and/or pages and/or also have monument stones with some ancient writing on them? Knowledge stones, books of language, journals of wisdom, pages of your past, my present and our future outcomes… Haunted!? :ghost: - Well now, hmm…

Such books and pages could be added to our exosuit under a new inventory menu tab called “JOURNALS” and the writings of one could be merged with the writings of another, ie. recorded into your main journals.

Example:

1. Book of the Gek
  2. Book of the Vy’Keen
  3. Book of the Korvax
  4. Book of the Sentinel
  5. Book of the Traveller
  6. Book of the Atlas
  7. Frigate Log Books
  8. Captain’s Log Book
  9. Composition Book
  10. etc…

All of these books should look and feel different from one another for esthetics and ease of navigation. Of course, an auto-generated ‘Table of Contents’ should also be added to these books for ease of navigation.

Composition books could be made available for handwritten documentation. There could be one Frigate Log Book per frigate which documents all its expedition debriefings. Also, one Captain’s Log Book which documents all your journeys into one book, would be indispensable. Such could include details like galaxies, star systems and planets discovered, as well as fauna, flora, minerals, and in exact chronological order. Ability to duplicate, cut, copy and paste, delete, undo and redo any of the above into separate books of their own would be a further convenience. These books need not necessarily replace our discovery menu, which could provide another way of looking at the data, but would provide a beautiful system for long-term documentation.

Granted, these books could also be merged into one book, but I like the idea of having more than one book. Why? Organization. Also, they smell good, they look good, they sound good, they feel good…

Confession: “I licked a book once.” :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :open_book:

:coffee:

5 Likes