Future Update Speculation

Server says 1300 gmt but what does Daylight Savings time have to say about that? It always confuses me so I assume the servers will also be confused. Are we even still it anymore? My phone does it so… I stopped asking years ago.

3 Likes

I mean, let’s face it, making scavenging/salvaging/digging up stuff more varied is kind of a point the game really needs. Since its inception it has always been somewhat lackluster. One ruin, one crashed freighter (the gameplay-relevant part of it, anyways), and otherwise just things under the surface to dig out with not-so-varied rewards (looking at you, bones - we have a gazillion procedural, actually living creatures, and we find bones over the whole galaxy from apparently the same dozen critters over and over again? come on!).

So yeah. I’d be all for the jars update being all about that. Doubt it, though.

5 Likes

I think what you’ve stumbled on to is one of the simulations darkest secrets. A calculated and targeted Genocide of 2-3 creatures by all the others, on a galactic scale ;0; It’s not a lacklustre feature with few assets, it’s a historical tragedy.

5 Likes

gmt is equivalent to UTC. That means no dst offset. The difference between UTC and your timezone varies by dst, but UTC stays constant and doesn’t bother.
For example, my current UTC offset is +2, so that would be 15:00 local for me. After october, my UTC offset will be +1 again.

I assume the london timezone is either UTC+0 or UTC+1 if DST is in effect.

2 Likes

Its looking like its DST until october so… Yeah this thing is dropping at 2PM GMT (dublin/london/mean people from Greenwich)

2 Likes

That’s… not GMT, that’s WET if I’m not mistaken :rofl:

3 Likes

Well my computer has been lying to me since 1995 because it always says we are GMT+0

:frowning:

According to wiki

Ireland: “Standard Time” (Irish: Am Caighdeánach ) is defined as being one hour in advance of GMT.[21] “Winter Time” (Am Geimhridh) is defined as being the same as GMT.

This is bullshit, I’ve lived here my whole life and we’ve never done this XD Must be a west coast thing for Gaelgors to distance themselves from the brits :stuck_out_tongue:

Or did the arrival of Windows 95 personal computers overwrite my peoples sense of pride in national time keeping? Its a conspiracy!!!

I thought my Island was the center of all time… like Lost.

Western European Time (WET , UTC±00:00) is a time zone covering parts of western Europe and consists of countries using UTC±00:00 (also known as Greenwich Mean Time, abbreviated GMT).

I guess WET is the modern and politically correct term, and GMT is a holdover from when Britain both owned and invented the world, somehow.

2 Likes
3 Likes

It’s more to do with Greenwich being the site where observations and calculations allowing the calculation of longitude were first conducted.

Because of this, Greenwich became the base line for navigation used by pretty much all seafarers.

Other, less accurate, forms of navigation had always been available - but if you wanted to stand a more than even chance of reaching your destination, you used GMT.

3 Likes

You would be… during winter.

I think it’s more like a terminology thing. We have CET and EET (which, by the way, are also two timezone that denote the same time), so WET makes intuitive sense, even if there is already another shorthand that denotes the same timezone. Also, there’s WETS, the summer-time “edition” that both CET and EET share as well, while GMT explicitly does not have summer time.

Timezones are one of the most annoying things I’m dealing with in software development to be honest. By now I have realised that yes, they are logical, but no, they still don’t make sense. As a developer I’ve started to record all times in UTC and then convert them add-hoc as needed, and as a person I kind of started doing the same thing. It all gets a lot more manageable when you hold on to that UTC thing and think of any other timezones, even your own, just as offsets to it.

3 Likes

Just started 8 Gb download.

3 Likes

If it’s already started, then maybe Sean is confused about GMT too :rofl:

3 Likes

Taking a looong time cause my stupid PC keeps connecting wirelessly…ughhhh…use the wired connection please. Compooper

2 Likes

It always works this way. The download arrives early, but doesn’t unlock until a specified time.

5 Likes

Available now on PS5 for people in WET/GMT/ThePerpetualDrizzleZone

2 Likes

I don’t go fishing in real life. I can think of few things more boring.

So virtual fishing???

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

What were they thinking?

6 Likes

Certainly not something I wanted, but I have seen it asked quite a lot since the game launched and it’s a very appealing thing for people in games (I call those people sega bass weirdos) and I’m not going to deny them this feature.

In fact, I’m going to embrace it today. * dons cap with bait and hooks in, and those puffy sleeveless jackets *

Same with the cooking, it’s deep and complex and some people get a huge kick out of crafting the recipes and discovering new ones. I completely side step that entire aspect.

When I sent some screens to a friend showing off the water in worlds update their first reaction was “the game needs a fishing rod now”. My response was “Oh we can just shoot the fish… We don’t need rods”. Very much in line with @jedidia earlier :slight_smile:

I think it’s good for the game to add passive activities like fishing etc for players who like to hang out and do things. I find with the sparse multiplayer sessions I have in NMS when friends dip their toes in for 2 days, we’re always moving, and very rarely towards the same goal or locations. This can add a nice break of pace for those who seek it out.

Also I have a million and one new base ideas/additions to make to my water bases now XD

3 Likes
4 Likes

Honestly not what I was hoping for by a country mile, but I’ll take it. :slight_smile: It is kinda neat to have an expedition that I don’t have the urge to blaze through as quickly as possible for a change, and I’m looking forward to the lore around this one (messages in bottles??? sign me the heck up!).

…Also, that new jetpack will go nicely with the Lost Bathysphere I’ve been rockin’ for a while now in-game. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

See, you’re already in the fishing mindset. Slow, boring, whole day gone, nothing to show.

Damn, Hello Games are good at this immersion stuff :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes